• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Twisted Skis?

b-litt

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
McCall, ID
m.youtube.com
Might be hard to see from the pictures, but my skis are twisted after three rides. One is very bad.
Things unique to the sled are durapro dampers and ice age spindles. I also run the narrow setting.
I’ll say I’m not by any means impressed with the durapro’s. They are better than stock, but NO fix. I still split them every other ride. Last ride I split both. Sheetmetalfab got me some inserts that stoped the skis from ovaling at the bolt hole. I just chalk it up to regular wear parts.
7E75B1A2-F993-4260-B4DA-E4E9A16887F4.jpegD542E51D-F458-4ED4-A2D7-63AF066F5C4F.jpegThe twisted skis are a different story. I either have never noticed it or it’s a new thing. Does a guy heat them up or what?

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Salazz. I used to wreck durapro every other ride as well. They are garbage and they won't warranty them. Since I started riding the salazz, I haven't wrecked a single one. Caleb told me about them. You can get them from Freshies-built online.

b-litt

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
McCall, ID
m.youtube.com
Salazz. I used to wreck durapro every other ride as well. They are garbage and they won't warranty them. Since I started riding the salazz, I haven't wrecked a single one. Caleb told me about them. You can get them from Freshies-built online.
Good to know! I’ll give salazz a try.
I had no luck with that “warranty” from durapro either. They started selling them to me at dealer cost, which kept me buying them. At this point I’ll pay anything for something that works!

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.

Gripper skis are the lightest mtn ski out there. Don't expect them to stay straight.
They will be twisted sooner than later, but it doesn't have a significant effect on performance.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..

Gripper skis are the lightest mtn ski out there. Don't expect them to stay straight.
They will be twisted sooner than later, but it doesn't have a significant effect on performance.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
I usually just stomp em straight.

C
Nov 29, 2008
Gave up on Durapros too ...
IQ rubbers with saddle braces for the win

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I use skidoo rubbers sliced to actually fit into the ski. Have 10 rides on the current ones and they're still solid.
Tried all that over many times and sleds.
We tried:
Double poo rubbers
C&A pro rubbers
Cut layers of mudflap
Poured in place polyurethane
Doo rubbers. (5 versions)
Dura pro
Gulfi rubbers from sweden
Salazz kings

Doo rubbers are similar to durapro.

Tear out and spit the rubber.

Gulfi rubbers from sweden are good but hard to get.

Salazz kings are better and easy to get.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
for the Salazz King ski rubbers, the Freshies site only shows them for 12-23 Cats, is that what you guys are running?
No, you need the ones for Polaris grippers. They must be currently sold out. I know last season they were sold out for awhile too.

mrooks17

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2021
Ohio
Sled Solutions lists them in stock on their site for Polaris

A
Nov 26, 2007
Alaska
I bought a set of the Salazz Kings from Freshies thinking they would at least be the full width of the saddle, but they were just replicas of the stock ones. I ran them anyway and the skis just flop around totally loose. For $75 or whatever I would avoid them. Whats weird is I have seen pictures of full width Salazz rubbers. I contacted Freshies about it and they claimed its what Kesterke runs. Not a chance.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I bought a set of the Salazz Kings from Freshies thinking they would at least be the full width of the saddle, but they were just replicas of the stock ones. I ran them anyway and the skis just flop around totally loose. For $75 or whatever I would avoid them. Whats weird is I have seen pictures of full width Salazz rubbers. I contacted Freshies about it and they claimed its what Kesterke runs. Not a chance.
They weren't lying to you. When I rode with Caleb, he did have a set in his sled that wasn't full width. I had never seen them before but they do make them. He runs his skis neutral though. If you are going to run your skis in or out I would suggest you get the full width ones.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
It’s beyond time for Polaris to address this issue. 12 years is enough.

It doesn’t matter what rubber you use. As great of a handling ski the Gripper is, (best) its ski rubber durability is a function of the Durometer of the ski and the aggressiveness of the rider. Larger, higher Durometer rubbers will just wipe out the bolt hole in the ski out quicker.

Early Grippers (2007) didn’t have this issue. I suspect there was a Durometer change in the ski around 2011 when the Pro Chassis came out. Helps with “flickability"

Like SMF, I have tried all he listed and they all fail. I have been buying 20-30 stockers at a time, keep spares in all sleds, and just change them every 2-3 rides. Stock doesn’t completely wipe (stretch) the bolt hole as bad as aftermarket rubbers. Below is stock at less than 150 miles on a sled not ridden very aggressive. I’ve been too hard headed and cheap to try another ski.

63AA4BE5-63D7-4554-8A6C-0479778894A2.jpeg

C6D1494D-0C85-4CAF-A95C-08CF51ED3E36.jpeg

Premium Features