• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ice Age spindle issues

M

motoracer5

Nov 2, 2008
Compared to a RMK spindle today. Looks like the tip down problem would be less with a gripper ski and rubber, but still less contact than ideal compared to the polaris spindle. Also looks like ski tip going too high will happen more easily with the gripper due to spindle shape fitting the gripper rubber. That is not an Ice Age problem to be clear, just a difference between Doo and Poo rubber to spindle fitting

20230116_135436.jpg 20230116_135345.jpg 20230116_135350.jpg

IceAge Performance

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Gallatin Gateway, MT
We are aware of this difference in design, which results in a different failure case at overextension of the ski than the stock spindle. The rear ski rubber interface of our ELEVATE BRP spindle is designed in a way that compromises the ski rubber in an impact, but does not eject it when overextended. This change is the reason you see the difference in deflection while the sled is in the shop on a lift. Our experience riding it, as well as our BC and US team's testing experience prior to release produced no issues on snow. For those that did not enjoy the additional deflection, a firmer aftermarket ski rubber (such as a salazzking or durapro) helped reduce this perceived deflection. We are current working with the author of this thread to better understand this unique issue that affects riders in a moisture-rich BC snowpack with a distinct freeze-thaw layer. We will conduct our engineering review and will use this information to further hone the performance of our ELEVATE spindles in all snow conditions going into the future.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
I've been sledding 20+ years and never had a ski stuck down only ever up, very unique circumstance for that to happen. I have SLP Mohawks on my elevate spindles and was comparing to a stock Gen 4 sled in the shop. The stock Gen 4 ski has noticeably more downward flexion then the SLP elevate setup.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
That's the reaction i expect from a great company like Ice Age.
Sometimes, you need to open their eyes to see the whole picture, but once they see it, they jump in and find a solid resolution.

I think riveting a small machined block to the back of the current production spindle is the quickest, most efficient resolution short term.

As for ski tip down issues, go try some C&A skis. They should not be allowed to make/sell off trail skis...

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

M
Jan 26, 2013
I've been sledding 20+ years and never had a ski stuck down only ever up, very unique circumstance for that to happen. I have SLP Mohawks on my elevate spindles and was comparing to a stock Gen 4 sled in the shop. The stock Gen 4 ski has noticeably more downward flexion then the SLP elevate setup.
I witness my riding buddies sled catapult him and then do cartwheels down a hill after hitting a little popper on a downhill and the ski tipped down hooked and voila, (Not a 23 g5), but it does happen to any sled under the right conditions. Ski down is far worse than ski up.

R
Nov 29, 2008
Cle Elum, WA
Update: On a 2023 Expert running the Ice Age Elevate spindles. Installed the stock expert rubber with Munster ski bushing stiffener and the ability for the ski tip to nose dive is much less! This combo is even an improvement over the Salazzking rubbers when running the Elevate spindles.

M
Jan 26, 2013
Update: On a 2023 Expert running the Ice Age Elevate spindles. Installed the stock expert rubber with Munster ski bushing stiffener and the ability for the ski tip to nose dive is much less! This combo is even an improvement over the Salazzking rubbers when running the Elevate spindles.
So one has to buy spindles $, bushing stiffners $ and skis $=?

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
What’s wrong with the stock spindle and ski. This sled is amazing as it is, it holds a side hill very similar to a Polaris now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

straightup

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Rigby Idaho
Try the rubber out of 23 lynx shredder ds it’s the best rubber I have seen. You will have to sand down stock skis where it holds that skinny rubber to fit the big ones in

M

motoracer5

Nov 2, 2008
What’s wrong with the stock spindle and ski. This sled is amazing as it is, it holds a side hill very similar to a Polaris now.

It does hold a sidehill very well, no complaints there so far. The thing I don't like is all the forward offset of the ski mounting relative to the arms. Pulls the tip of the ski around in some conditions, jerks the bars around badly when crossing old tracks and seems to have more tendency to stuff up the inside ski on aggressive turns. Although another small modification I have done has helped a lot with ski stuffing on stock spindles so far. Some lift in the front end might be nice too, likes to ride low in the front and get under the snow more than I am used.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia

Try a set of Iceage or zrp spindles with aftermarket skis. You won’t ask this question. Noticeably better then stock if you are pushing the sled in technical terrain.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Try a set of Iceage or zrp spindles with aftermarket skis. You won’t ask this question. Noticeably better then stock if you are pushing the sled in technical terrain.

Well the G5 is a much better sled over the G4, I like the new DS4 ski.
Other than clutching and shock revalves I don’t feel the need to change anything on this chassis.
It seems the Ice age spindles are a waste of time and money right now, we tried different skis even the Polaris gripper went back to the doo ski.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Well the G5 is a much better sled over the G4, I like the new DS4 ski.
Other than clutching and shock revalves I don’t feel the need to change anything on this chassis.
It seems the Ice age spindles are a waste of time and money right now, we tried different skis even the Polaris gripper went back to the doo ski.
It’s what ever works best for you. Gen 5 is much better in tech terrain than a Gen 4 no questions asked. Skis, spindles, shocks, and sway bar disconnected takes the Gen 5 to another level. A rider will only see those advantages depending on their ability. Yesterday we had a completely stock identical sled to mine out, we swapped sleds for awhile. Immediately the stock sled is harder to get on edge, once in a side hill there is more bar feed back and more correction needed to stay on line. Owner of the stock sled said the same thing. Spindles are definitely not a waste of money for me, especially in the terrain I ride. Lots of options out there and lots of preferences on how a sled should perform. I’m not in the mind set of good enough, I want the sled to suit my style.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
It’s what ever works best for you. Gen 5 is much better in tech terrain than a Gen 4 no questions asked. Skis, spindles, shocks, and sway bar disconnected takes the Gen 5 to another level. A rider will only see those advantages depending on their ability. Yesterday we had a completely stock identical sled to mine out, we swapped sleds for awhile. Immediately the stock sled is harder to get on edge, once in a side hill there is more bar feed back and more correction needed to stay on line. Owner of the stock sled said the same thing. Spindles are definitely not a waste of money for me, especially in the terrain I ride. Lots of options out there and lots of preferences on how a sled should perform. I’m not in the mind set of good enough, I want the sled to suit my style.

I agree with the sled to suit your style. With the original poster complaint is what I ment, why go through the hassle and money and have to go through his issue.

Take the sway bar link out of the stock sled and the results would be the same getting it on edge.
When I take the sway bar link off my sled it’s a whole new beast, and the shocks are revalved and sprung to handle the link being removed.

Just redoing the suspension is a noticeable difference between a stock G5 and mine my sled sits so much higher than a stock sled without doing spindles.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Caper11, do you remove the hole swaybar or just the links ?

Premium Features