• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ice Age spindle issues

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I’m running the elevate spindles but with slp Mohawks. Zero issues after 700km. I believe a better ski rubber will solve your problem. The stock rubber is complete junk, I’ve had completely stock skidoos stuff skis and blow through rubbers on multiple occasions.
Would love to hear the rest of your thoughts vs stock. That is the combo i was going to try

M
Jan 26, 2013
Am I and the original poster the only ones that see no ski rubber in the world will support the front of the ski without something to leverage off? This thing needs to go back to the drafting table for a redesign.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Honestly, it looks like a revision is due.
1/2" longer heal should resolve the issue.

Approach them again, this time with a proposed resolution that is relatively inexpensive and a great improvement.

Ur photos/video show the issue at hand.
While a new intact rubber wouldn't extend as far back as ur ripped one and wouldn't allow the flex, the longer heal would have more contact, requiring much more force to rip/tear.

So far, the reviews i have seen on the new ski , are not favorable, those could be part of the issue.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

hacktt10

Premium Member
Nov 7, 2015
Just put the elevate kit on my gen5 expert so interested in this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R
Jan 3, 2018
Lake Tahoe
Ice Age needs to not only address this issue but needs to come on here and comment. Maybe you got a set of spindles for a Lynx or another model by accident from Ice Age. Meaning packaged wrong on their end. Something doesn't add up. I have a set on my Maytrx and absolutely love them. I can't see them designing these spindles incorrectly for a G5 but it is obvious from your pics and video that they are not right. And to suggest to have to buy another aftermarket product to make their product work on a factory sled is BS. Although factory ski rubbers suck and we all need to replaced them with better aftermarket ones, that is not the fix for your issue with IA Elevate spindles. I would get them back on the phone, point them to this thread, and tell them you will be glad to help fix this issue with them. But they need to fix it. And no matter how happy I am with their products and service now and in the past, when people see stuff like this, it makes you think twice about future purchases. I own a business that manufactures products for the UTV market, and 1 negative experience or public comments/experiences like this can override 100's of positive comments/experiences. Your only as good as your last sale. Good luck with this and I hope Ice Age steps up and handles your issue and corrects this problem.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Would love to hear the rest of your thoughts vs stock. That is the combo i was going to try

Stock the sled still had the skidoo tendency to have the bars jerk out of your hands crossing old tracks but no wobble (flex edge gone, tmotion gone). I find the Gen 5 expert stock effortless to ride and sidehills more predictable than anything skidoo has to offer but always room for improvement. I’m running QS3 floats with sway bar removed as well with this set up. I have minor to no bar feed back and a sled that takes no effort to stay in a sidehill. I can stop in a side hill and get going again with one hand on the bar. Closest handling characteristics to a Polaris as a skidoo can get. I’ve been in some really steep terrain last few rides and could not ask for more out of this chassis. If someone’s says these Gen5’s handle poor or are a bad sled in tech terrain it’s very obvious they can’t ride.

hacktt10

Premium Member
Nov 7, 2015
And what did you find?

Appears to be similar. I have one trip on my stock rubbers.

2a9681dc1257ffaf98c57e69dc6d4b28.jpg

Last edited:
M

motoracer5

Nov 2, 2008
Here’s the flex I get on the stand without really muscling it.
0e91132667bef4b4b80395b03db937bf.jpg

To me that still looks very tip down for how little pressure you are applying. Curious to see how they are for you after some riding. I have a feeling the very heavy snow I was in is what showed the issue so quickly. Probably would not have happened so soon in dry snow with no layers for the ski to get under

M

motoracer5

Nov 2, 2008
Stock the sled still had the skidoo tendency to have the bars jerk out of your hands crossing old tracks but no wobble (flex edge gone, tmotion gone). I find the Gen 5 expert stock effortless to ride and sidehills more predictable than anything skidoo has to offer but always room for improvement. I’m running QS3 floats with sway bar removed as well with this set up. I have minor to no bar feed back and a sled that takes no effort to stay in a sidehill. I can stop in a side hill and get going again with one hand on the bar. Closest handling characteristics to a Polaris as a skidoo can get. I’ve been in some really steep terrain last few rides and could not ask for more out of this chassis. If someone’s says these Gen5’s handle poor or are a bad sled in tech terrain it’s very obvious they can’t ride.
Been thinking about getting mohawk skis as well. Was there any downsides compared to the DS4?

M

motoracer5

Nov 2, 2008
I’m running the elevate spindles but with slp Mohawks. Zero issues after 700km. I believe a better ski rubber will solve your problem. The stock rubber is complete junk, I’ve had completely stock skidoos stuff skis and blow through rubbers on multiple occasions.
Haha, these expert rubbers are way better than polaris axys oem! I don't think I ever got through a ride with stock poo rubber not spitting right out or being so damaged they may as well have fallen out. Specially on the Assault. Been thrown over the bars quite a few times from the ski standing up due to the rubber being so soft and weak.

I crushed the front of the doo rubber first ride and the ski tip would go up a lot sidehilling and downhill turns, but never stopped the sled or threw me over the bars. Put some extra rubber in the front and stock is working fairly well now actually.

Do you happen to have pictures of how the mohawk seats to the Ice Age spindle?

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Been thinking about getting mohawk skis as well. Was there any downsides compared to the DS4?
They steer slightly heavier is my only downside. I’ve ran Mohawks for a couple seasons Gen 4 turbo now Gen 5 turbo. I’m not a fan of skidoos deep single keel, I think it contributes to the negative bar feed back crossing tracks.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Haha, these expert rubbers are way better than polaris axys oem! I don't think I ever got through a ride with stock poo rubber not spitting right out or being so damaged they may as well have fallen out. Specially on the Assault. Been thrown over the bars quite a few times from the ski standing up due to the rubber being so soft and weak.

I crushed the front of the doo rubber first ride and the ski tip would go up a lot sidehilling and downhill turns, but never stopped the sled or threw me over the bars. Put some extra rubber in the front and stock is working fairly well now actually.

Do you happen to have pictures of how the mohawk seats to the Ice Age spindle?
Haha yeah the Polaris rubbers are brutal. Had 2 Axys sleds, durapro rubbers was always the first thing to add.

I’ll grab a picture tomorrow. I have over a dozen rides and no issues, the slp rubber is a lot wider and very hard compared to stock.

You should try Munster's Ski bushing stiffer. $55, fills volume under the rubber.

Before the great aftermarket products we use to crush aluminum cans and place them under the crappy stock rubbers to fill volume. Saved many poos from another bad day in the mountains.

Side note I have the ZRP elevated spindles with Durapro ski bushing on current 23' turbo 154 and on 19' 850 165 and they work great flawless.

Y
Apr 22, 2008
This is a side shot of the current SLP ski rubber for the Expert/Turbo/Freeride to use with Mohawk. Could they be a better fit than the stock rubber for the Elevate spindles?

20230114_185240.jpg

20230114_185240.jpg

D
Been thinking about getting mohawk skis as well. Was there any downsides compared to the DS
I have a 2022 Freeride 154” with ZRP 1.25” raised spindles and also running the SLP Mohawks! In my opinion….this is the best setup for a Skidoo to date. I have very little flex and it takes a lot of pressure to get the flex. Also running QS3 Evol’s. I don’t even hardly feel old tracks while on a steep & deep traverse. Sorry to hear about your issue with Ice Age! That is VERY disappointing to get that kind of negative response from Ice Age. Good luck to you in your future.

R
Nov 29, 2008
Cle Elum, WA
Just had this issue over the weekend with my 23 expert running the Ice Age spindles (with DS4 ski). I’ve even running the Salazking rubbers. While the ski does not just flop down like other case mentioned.. the ski can be made to point almost straight down without much pressure. I haven’t noticed any ill effects while riding but getting stuck in wet/heavy snow with a ski pointed straight down has been a pain a few times now. I’ve got the Munster bushing stiffeners on order to try and remedy the situation but this seems like a big design flaw from Ice Age..

Premium Features