• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How do I make my M easier to steer?

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
GSR and Holz. skis play a big factor, gen I suck. You can move bolt locations on arms to get more leverage on all sleds, do some looking and thinking and you should be able to change it for your liking.

F

Freeride1

Dec 13, 2007
New Hampshire
Moving the skid to the bottem hole in the tunel for the front arm of the skid is free easy and works awsome for making steering easier and helping sidehill. Ski pressure sucks. Charge up your cordless drill and don't look back.

Last edited:

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
get a 2012 Proclimb, awesome , feels like it has power steering compared to the 08,09,10,11 M sleds I had:behindsofa:

R

RideGuy

Jan 28, 2005
B.C.
Hard steering or Pushing in the Corners ?

I read alot about steering issues on the trail. I have to wonder if the sleds are hard to steer or if they push making them hard to steer?

My 2009 TM8 pushed into the corners making me more effort to steer. I have been setting my skid up for max ski pressure and forward transfer for climbing.

I did not have improved steering trying to achieve ski pressure in my set up until I changed out my bent stock ski to my old Powder Pro's. Instantly my sled was not pushing and I could steer my sled without so much body effort.

The only difference is the runner is alot deeper into the snow and the skag is more agressive.....

For me a deeper keel ski had a huge affect on how the sled steers. Even though I have my skid set up for maximum ski pressure it has never been easier to steer.....

Funny thing is my stock skiis steered excellent on dirt roads....Still trying to figure that one out.... LOL

U
Dec 20, 2007
Washington
"Funny thing is my stock skiis steered excellent on dirt roads....Still trying to figure that one out.... LOL"

There is the answer wait for the snow to melt and then go boondock!!!!...LMAO:rofl::clap2:

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Moving the skid to the bottem hole in the tunel for the front arm of the skid is free easy and works awsome for making steering easier and helping sidehill. Ski pressure sucks. Charge up your cordless drill and don't look back.

So how do you drill out the bottom hole that does not exist? There is a place to punch a hole about 2" behind the original but no provision for one below the hole. The older ones had them but not the newer ones.

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
So how do you drill out the bottom hole that does not exist? There is a place to punch a hole about 2" behind the original but no provision for one below the hole. The older ones had them but not the newer ones.

Look inside the tunnel there is a small plate on the inside that has wholes on top and bottom of the existing, unless its like mine and the plate is turn sideways on one side and vertical on the other.
I talked to someone that rode my m1000 and said it was hard to steer, the same day I thought it was so easy to steer it wasn't funny, now I'm thinking some people just need to clean some sand out of there Jiner and man up. Or maybe learn to let the sled do the work for you, if you don't ride it the way it works it will fight you all day.

Last edited:
D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Look inside the tunnel there is a small plate on the inside that has wholes on top and bottom of the existing, unless its like mine and the plate is turn sideways on one side and vertical on the other.
I talked to someone that rode my m1000 and said it was hard to steer, the same day I thought it was so easy to steer it wasn't funny, now I'm thinking some people just need to clean some sand out of there Jiner and man up. Or maybe learn to let the sled do the work for you, if you don't ride it the way it works it will fight you all day.

Getting off a 1M and onto these things is a big change. Going from the easiest to turn sleds to the hardest. I dumped a good climbing pol. because I was tired of the heavy steering and now these 10& 11 M's are way hard. They are fine when being aggressive and banking around but sitting on you butt making a easy turn to head back up the hill is a chore. You probably are right about learning to ride them, but you should not have to carve every turn. To "man up" as some call it, is not what should be needed to turn these things. I can pick the front of an Apex out of the snow but need to sit down to get enough leverage to turn a slow moving 10" M8 in spring snow.
As far as moving the front of the skid lower, mine has a small steel plate riveted at the hole and a blank hole about two inches behind that. Any change would require drilling out the rivets and drilling a random hole some where below and riveting the plate around that. Nothing like the older sleds with the multible holed plate.

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Look inside the tunnel there is a small black plate and the other holes are hard to see they are so close together, practically stacked one on top the other, not to the front or back. Once you get the suspension setup right and learn to ride the sled its not that hard, my suspension is still in the stock holes. Some don't realize that for different snow conditions you need to make suspension adjustments if you want the best performance.

F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
I was pretty impressed with the difference in my steering on my 2010 M8 after putting the bdx anti slop bushing on my sled. Lubed it up good with some grease along with the spindles and it felt completely different.
Not what I was going for when adding it, but it made a big difference in the ease of steering on my sled.

M
Mar 7, 2008
my 04 mountain cats were so easy to turn on the trail my grandma could do it. were excellent in powder also once got the bugs out of those sleds (all need handlebars raised, fix right bog). But now riding 11 M8's and in powder are so good, and yes I have to finally admit better than my 1M's, I guess I've not paid much attention to the trail issues! I would probably consider an easy fix for improved trail friendliness just so my wife would like them as she is a trail rider mostly. So what is the advice on skis that might help trail ride but no adverse powder handling compared to stock?

The issues I have had so far with 11 M8 -
1. oil tank caps! two new sleds and threads are messed up and do not seal very well. a friend with an 11 M8 and him w same problem.
2. still need an anti stab kit as too scary to ride one without.

great features -
1. Storage in seat
2. adjustable height handlebars
3. amazing powder capability.

U
Dec 20, 2007
Washington
Ski's in the spring?

How much do the ski's make a differance in the spring snow. I have noticed my powder pros are a nightmare to steer in the spring snow. My old stock 07 M sled is way easier to steer compared to the the 09 with the Pros.

M

miko

Nov 28, 2007
So. Dak.
I think its hard to compare all this talk with spring snow. That snow gets so heavy that it didn't matter what kind of sled we had in our group it still sucked to steer unless you muscle it up and hit the throttle.

my .02

F

Freeride1

Dec 13, 2007
New Hampshire
I HATE my Powder Pros in anything but powder. I had to cut the whole outside lip off making the ski 6" wide the whole legnth just so I wouldn't get hurt for the last month and a half. They still steer friggin hard. I wish I had some stock HCR skis like the ones on my friends HCR set up just like my M7. Hers steers very easy. The HCR is set in the bottem hole of the skid up front as well. That made a big difference. I think I am going to get some Sly Dogs Powder Hounds for next season.

Premium Features