• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How do I make my M easier to steer?

T
Dec 18, 2008
Anchorage
I have an M8 2011, it is too hard to steer. I love the performance in the snow, but it is way too hard to steer in the trail. Has anyone done anything to better the steering on the 2011 M? The M7 has never had an issue, it's twice as easy as mine, how do I get there?

F

Flange

Oct 25, 2001
Calgary, Alberta
What exactly do you mean by "hard to steer"? Is it hard to turn, or does it dart side to side on you? Something else maybe?

Griff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I had the same observation when going from my 06M7 to my 09M8. You will have to tune your suspension to find the best set up for you. I came to the conclusion the biggest factor in the handling change from the M7 is due to the rear suspension after much testing and tuning plus info from others on Snowest. Some have relocated their skid frames to decrease ski pressure.

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
Yep rear skid setup. Don't bother with a older spindle swap. I changed mine and there is no difference in the ease of steering except maybe in your head. The sharper steering is noticeable tho on the new spindles so not worth the swap. I haven't messed with it but there is a hole you can drill out and move the front skid mount which takes some ski pressure off and makes it steer lighter.

C

cowkiller

Nov 26, 2007
Eugene Or.
I put slydog trail skis on my wifes M6 and that helped a lot.
I was afraid with the easier steering it would tend to push in the corners but that is not the case. They have made a huge difference in her riding. she is able to lift a ski during carving now. Faster in the bumps. The sled just rides better.
I have simmons on my M8 (had them on hers as well)and am thinking of switching to slydog powder hounds.

T
Feb 8, 2010
Nelson, B.C.
I put a set of 07 spindles on my 09 HCR and it made a big difference....about a 20% increase in leverage. We have been experimenting with modifying existing spindles and have increased leverage up to approx. 30%. Difference is night and day.

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
An old trick that helps somewhat is cutting the skags off behind the spindle. I've done that to many sleds and it does help some and I haven't seen any downside to it.

vdo1948

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eastern South Dakota
Man I absolutely agree. Finally got my completely stock '11 M8 LTD on the snow. Rode for two days and it was killing me. Then got on my '05 M7 and like night and day. M7 is 162 with a stock '09 float skid. Has Powder Pros with Carl's cut and GSR revalves on all 4 shocks. Limiter straps are fully out on both sleds. I'm going to go to '07 spindles, PPs and a revalve over the summer. Don't know where else to go.

I have an M8 2011, it is too hard to steer. I love the performance in the snow, but it is way too hard to steer in the trail. Has anyone done anything to better the steering on the 2011 M? The M7 has never had an issue, it's twice as easy as mine, how do I get there?

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I tried a rental 2011 M8 Sno Pro this weekend and observed the same thing.

The steering effort required on the M8 was totally outrageous. Riding the M8 took way more out of me than the M7.

I much prefer the M7 to the M8!

offroadmatt

Lifetime Membership
Feb 16, 2008
Sweetwater, CO
I agree that the newer sled is harder to turn. My 07 M8 turns much easier on hard pack or at slower speeds then my 11 HCR. However I prefer the tighter turning radius on the new sled instead of the easier turning on the old. So I guess I'll deal with it.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I never drilled anything, I did get a revavle done though and anyone that has a 08-2010 M-series should, its a huge improvement. AC needs kicked in the head for the valve job in those years.

S

SnoShark

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado
I never drilled anything, I did get a revavle done though and anyone that has a 08-2010 M-series should, its a huge improvement. AC needs kicked in the head for the valve job in those years.

I know this has been discussed, but which/who revalve did you go with?

T
Feb 8, 2010
Nelson, B.C.
I agree that the newer sled is harder to turn. My 07 M8 turns much easier on hard pack or at slower speeds then my 11 HCR. However I prefer the tighter turning radius on the new sled instead of the easier turning on the old. So I guess I'll deal with it.

You don't have to "deal with it" After one installs the 07 spindles just file the stops until one has the same turning radius....it's very easy. Anyone who thinks these newer M's turn easy should try the change in spindles just to see. HCR skis and Podwer pros have deep keels and in heavy snow or moving slowly they can be very difficult to operate, not so with the older spindles or modifying existing spindles.

Premium Features