• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Engine Failures 850 Turbo

J
Mar 7, 2023
Canada
You should push for a new engine since they stated the oil pump isn't working properly which is supposed to lube the crank as well.
Yeah been talking to the dealer about this, they're saying its going to be hard to make a case for a new engine since they submitted a report to BRP and said bottom end is fine. Going to escalate if I have to

L
Mar 8, 2008
You can also tell your dealer that there is no nicasil coating in these cylinders but they are plasma coated with an steel powder.
Sucks that you are having these issues, i agree you should push for an engine shortblock since the engine have been oil starved.

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Had a 2017 Summit X 165 that had the “top end” replaced under warranty and I lobbied for a new short block but was told the lower end was “fine”. Long story short, two rides after getting the sled back with a new top end the MAG side crank bearing failed a likely cause being debris in the bearing from the top end failure. The outcome was BRP replaced the entire engine under warranty.

Your situation may be different but this was my experience.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Yeah, and if the dealer sez no, drive your truck through the front doors. Don’t take no crap from that dealer. We here at Snowest take no guff and we are special. Needs.

R
Mar 10, 2023
Alaska
Anyone else having engine problems on their turbos?

I had 2 engines blow this week one on a 2021 Gen 4 expert turbo with ~3,000 miles (PTO rod) and the other a 2023 Gen 5 expert turbo with only ~300 miles (waiting on full diagnosis). Hard to stick with ski doo but I suppose all brands have engine problems. Looks like this season might be over before it even got started.

White Rad

Premium Member
Nov 16, 2009
WA to B.C.
When this happens if the sled still runs at all and you can limp it to an easy place to tow it out its always better to just keep pinning it up and down the road near the truck until its a catastrophic failure. New top end has too much of the human element involved aka the tech working on it. If the oil pump wasn't working the bottom end is smoked.

J
Mar 7, 2023
Canada
When this happens if the sled still runs at all and you can limp it to an easy place to tow it out its always better to just keep pinning it up and down the road near the truck until its a catastrophic failure. New top end has too much of the human element involved aka the tech working on it. If the oil pump wasn't working the bottom end is smoked.
Should have done this in hindsight
Had a 2017 Summit X 165 that had the “top end” replaced under warranty and I lobbied for a new short block but was told the lower end was “fine”. Long story short, two rides after getting the sled back with a new top end the MAG side crank bearing failed a likely cause being debris in the bearing from the top end failure. The outcome was BRP replaced the entire engine under warranty.

Your situation may be different but this was my experience.
Sounds quite similar to my situation. Exactly what I’m worried about, and the mag side cylinder is chipped so where did the shavings go? Into the bottom end

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
My g5 turbo just threw an engine code P0261 and started running on one cylinder it sounds like. Hopefully its just an issue with the injector/harness. Cause the dealer made it sound like parts are back ordered forever and that it maybe down for the rest of the season which would be lame!

J
Mar 7, 2023
Canada
My g5 turbo just threw an engine code P0261 and started running on one cylinder it sounds like. Hopefully it’s just an issue with the injector/harness. Cause the dealer made it sound like parts are back ordered forever and that it maybe down for the rest of the season which would be lame!
Sounds exactly like what happened to me. Code was injector fault to ground

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Here is a tip for a high performance 2 stroke turbo. Add some a couple gallons of high octane gas and an oz of oil per gallon of gas. If you cannot afford it you have no business buying a 22000$ sled.

Last edited:

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Here is a tip for a high performance 2 stroke turbo. Add some a couple gallons of high octane gas and an oz of oil per gallon of gas. If you cannot afford it you have now business buying a 22000$ sled.
Here a tip
Ride the damn thing and don't listen to someone telling you what you can or cannot afford because they are worry warts. Never added oil and never had a problem. My tip is don't listen to everything on the internet

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Here is a tip for a high performance 2 stroke turbo. Add some a couple gallons of high octane gas and an oz of oil per gallon of gas. If you cannot afford it you have no business buying a 22000$ sled.
Great tip. Do you have anymore tips?

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Had one of the G5 turbos in our group lock up the motor a couple weeks ago. 400ish miles, 100% stock. Towed out and dropped off at dealer. It’ll be a while to find out the problem. They’re 3-4 weeks out on repairs and motors and back order forever. Hopefully repaired for next season.

0B9D98FF-777C-4DCA-86D8-E3651D7F4907.jpeg

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
Had one of the G5 turbos in our group lock up the motor a couple weeks ago. 400ish miles, 100% stock. Towed out and dropped off at dealer. It’ll be a while to find out the problem. They’re 3-4 weeks out on repairs and motors and back order forever. Hopefully repaired for next season.
It is so freaking hard to justify dropping $20,000+ on a new sled when the "sesaon" is at best 5 months long when you don't know if it will even show up for the first month or 2 of riding then if there are any issues getting a dealer to actually fix your warranty claim will take a month to boot! I really wanted a new turbski, but I am probably going to end up riding my old iron and trying to rent a turbo a couple days each season.

N
Jul 23, 2008
Rode with a guy in Feb who was borrowing a friend's sled. His G4 Turbo had motor issues late in the '22 season. Warranty repair and they still hadn't gotten it back to him by late Feb '23. Didn't even tell him HOW they were going to fix it until the day we were riding...so nearly a full year waiting for them to agree to replace the motor. Insane. Warranty is worse than useless if it takes that long to resolve the issue.

Premium Features