• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Engine Failures 850 Turbo

jeeper8650

Premium Member
Oct 18, 2016
Anyone else having engine problems on their turbos?

I had 2 engines blow this week one on a 2021 Gen 4 expert turbo with ~3,000 miles (PTO rod) and the other a 2023 Gen 5 expert turbo with only ~300 miles (waiting on full diagnosis). Hard to stick with ski doo but I suppose all brands have engine problems. Looks like this season might be over before it even got started.

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
Anyone else having engine problems on their turbos?

I had 2 engines blow this week one on a 2021 Gen 4 expert turbo with ~3,000 miles (PTO rod) and the other a 2023 Gen 5 expert turbo with only ~300 miles (waiting on full diagnosis). Hard to stick with ski doo but I suppose all brands have engine problems. Looks like this season might be over before it even got started.
...what oil are you running? Are both stock?

Ace

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
The doo 850, whether NA or turbo, has been quite reliable. Probably as good or better than any other brand. A 2-stroke sled motor going down at 3,000 is common for all brands. At 300 miles, something very wrong

jeeper8650

Premium Member
Oct 18, 2016
Polaris rider just trolling
Not trolling, I have a Gen 4, Gen 5, boost, and 9R. Just thought it was wild the both blew within a day of each other and wondered if others had problems. No issues on the Polaris so far but that said I only have 1k miles on them so who knows. My lesson was always get new sleds before the warranty expires.

Cheers

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Unfortunately for the customer, engines are produced to last to the end if warranty and that’s it. Then you need to buy a new engine from the manufacturer. Ya ya, your buddy’s sisters dad’s lasted for 10k miles. Dad has never been wfo. Haha

Last edited:
M
Jan 26, 2013
It doesn't matter if it is snowmobile brand, pick up truck, right wing, left wing, catholic, protestant some people want to validate their choice by condemning all other options. Some how the rational is ...that at least I don't suck like "X or Z". Not logical but amusing ? ?

jeeper8650

Premium Member
Oct 18, 2016
This turned defensive lol I’ve blown up every brand, unfortunately. Sell before the warranties expire! My Alpha burst into flames in my garage. That was the worst one to date.

jdog1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
Not trolling, I have a Gen 4, Gen 5, boost, and 9R. Just thought it was wild the both blew within a day of each other and wondered if others had problems. No issues on the Polaris so far but that said I only have 1k miles on them so who knows. My lesson was always get new sleds before the warranty expires.

Cheers
Are you running aftermarket tunes and a can on them?

J
Mar 7, 2023
Canada
Over this passed weekend my Gen 5 expert turbo started running on one cylinder and eventually stopped running altogether, thankfully got to the trail on one cylinder before it broke down. Brought in to dealer and got a long list of issues. My sled only has 791kms on it. Pistons and reeds only expected to arrive in December so there goes the rest of this season and a chunk of next season, quite a disappointment. Here's the dealer report:
Dealer Diagnostic.jpg

farmboy84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
You should push for a new engine since they stated the oil pump isn't working properly which is supposed to lube the crank as well.

Premium Features