• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

First Ride Review: 2024 165/3 850 Turbo-R Summit-X (NON-Expert)

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Context for review.
In late 2008 I bought 3 Yamahas as my first sleds with no previous riding experience.
2 Nytros and 1 Phazer.
I rode Yamahas till the Fall of 2016 when I bought 3 Gen4 850 Summit-SPs
Rode those till the Fall of 2021 when I bought 2 Turbo Summit-X Experts
Rode those for 2 years and now upgraded to newest Gen5 Turbo Summit-x

Progression is an important thing as I do not think its a good idea to start at the top and work your way down.

I LOVED my Turbo-Experts.
Thoroughly enjoyed riding them the last two years.

Snowchecked a 2023 Gen5 Turbo Expert, took delivery, rode it once and UTTERLY HATED IT.
Sold it that night, and kept riding my Gen Turbo instead.
(Turned out the sled was factory defective and we totally missed the defect and just thought the new chassis was HORRIBLE)

On Saturday I took our my new sled for a GENTLE engine break in ride of 35 trail only miles.

383347940_6628206357232703_5042363539985101081_n.jpg

While the sled was fun, it wasn't earth shaking.
The power was ERRATIC.
Sometimes I had full power, other times I would swear the ECU was placing some kind of a limiter on me that felt like it had 50% power.
It was ODD to the say the least, and it varied each time I shut the sled down and started it back up again.
I rode the sled carefully as my only purpose was to gently break in the engine, deep turbo soak, followed by a full cooldown, followed by 25 miles of HIGHLY varied engine rpm riding.

All in all a "fun" day, but really nothing to write home about.
Nothing really stood out to me about the sled other than the fact I couldn't get my phone to connect to that thousand dollar large screen display.

Put the sled in the garage and let her melt out.

48hrs later I went back to the exact same place and ran the exactly same ride.
OH WHAT A DIFFERENCE A DAY MAKES!

Today was as different as could be.
The sled came to life and was a FREAKING JOY to ride all day long.
Whatever issues she had deep in her little ECU were all resolved or gone, and the sled was positively "ROWDY" by comparison.

I loved my Gen4 Turbo Expert, they were super fun to ride.
I LOVE THIS SLED SOOOOOO MUCH MORE!

Having gone BACK to the T-Motion suspension and the Flex-Edge Track was absolutely the right choice for me.
This sled is much much MUCH for "FUN" to ride than the expert ever was.
All the power of the Gen4 AND THEN SOME.
But SOO much more "Maneuverable" than the expert.

I am 60years old, will be 61 in a few weeks.
All of my trail riding is done in pursuit of Off-Trail Mountain Riding, but that doesn't mean I don't ride a lot of trail miles to get where I like to play, and then spend as many hours back in the woods as possible. I LOVE the T-Motion and the Flex-Edge. While it is NOT as "Precise" as the Expert was, it is more "FUN". It allows me to ride MORE HOURS and MORE MILES without being as Tired/Exhaused/Worn-Out as the Expert did.

I HURT LESS at the end of the day than I did on the Expert! And for me, thats a big deal. I ride for the pure joy of riding, so if I can ride more miles and more hours in a day, all the better!

I liked this sled enough, that I went and bought a 2nd identical one!
So I now have a Tan and a Black matching set for the year.

I have just barely begun to figure out how the 10.25" display works, and have NOT been able to get my iPhone to sync up with it yet, that will be my project for this week, but that is the one and only issue I have run into on the sled in the first 60 miles or so of riding.

As of right now, I couldn't give this sled a stronger endorsement.
I had a freaking PERMA GRIN on my face all day long.

Then I loaned it to two of my riding partners.
One a Platinum Ski-Doo Tech and the other a long term Ski-Doo Rider.
I am pretty sure BOTH will be selling their own sleds and hunting for a couple Turbo Summit-Xs as well.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho

Now
For comparison.
Here is the PROFESSIONAL SNOWEST MAGAZINE REVIEW of the Summit-X in NON-TURBO TRIM that we published today in the December 2023 issue of SnoWest Mag...

2023-12-06_13-52-50.jpg

If you’re looking for a great mountain sled and a turbo doesn’t fit in your budget, the Polaris Pro RMK Slash and the Ski-Doo Summit X are two snowmobiles you should consider.

It’s a little weird to consider these two snowmobiles as lightweights … but they are the lightest 165-inch-track sleds on the snow. And both fit into the 165 horsepower class so they’re plenty capable in deep mountain powder.

Western snowmobilers tend to gravitate to two features when considering a mountain sled—the size of the engine and the length of the track. For those who have deep pockets, both these models are available with factory-stock turbos. The Polaris RMK Slash is also available with a Patriot 9R engine. But these upgrades increase the price and impact the weight of the sleds.

The editors at SnoWest were mainly interested in the most affordable and lightest trims for the 165-inch track category. While both models cost more than $16,000, which we realize isn’t necessarily cheap, they both weigh in around 430 pounds … which is about as light as a mountain sled gets.

Our SnoWest test riders got the chance to match these two models in some extreme terrain near West Yellowstone, Mont., last February. When it came to naturally-aspirated sleds, these two models seemed to be the most competitive in deep snow.

“The Pro RMK Slash gives you the most confidence because of its predictable handling,” Rhett Clark explained. “The steeper and more technical the ride, the Polaris does exactly what you want it to without any quirks.”

Bruce Kerbs had a little different take. “The Summit X with its 850 E-TEC engine runs flawless through the snow.”

Justin Stevens was split on the two sleds. “The Rotax 850 E-TEC is a major selling point to me. The Summit X is well balanced and has amazing power.” But Stevens also liked the feel of the more rigid Pro RMK suspension on the Polaris and how easy it is to get up on top of the snow.

The most distinguished difference between the Pro RMK Slash and the Summit X is in the ride. The RMK has a rigid suspension which tends to come out of the snow faster and hold its line on sidehills better.

The Summit X features the tMotion suspension that allows a slight flex in both the suspension and track to allow the sled to roll softer in the turns.

At higher speeds in technical terrain, the rigid Pro RMK allows its rider to set an edge and hold a line. However, at lower speeds, the Summit X allows the rider to pick his line a little easier and requires less muscle to throw around the sled.

Both sleds feature a narrow, shorter and tapered tunnel design that reduces rear-end drag through deep snow. The Polaris is about 10 pounds lighter, mostly due to a lighter belt drive system. The belt drive tends to react a little quicker than the chain drive system of the Ski-Doo.

The Summit X comes with a 16x165x3-inch PowderMax Light track that offers outstanding flotation in deep snow. The Pro RMK Slash comes with a 15x165x2.75-inch Series 8 track. It works well but doesn’t quite have the hookup of the Ski-Doo. However, you can get the 15x165x3.25-inch Series 9 track on the Polaris that has outstanding lift and thrust in deep dry powder.

The Summit X has a 34-35-36 (inches) adjustable ski stance while the Pro RMK has a 36-37-38 adjustable ski stance. The narrower front does allow you to squeeze through tighter places.

The Matryx RMK platform on the Pro RMK Slash is designed to put the rider forward and optimize the chassis geometry and real design to create a forward and upward movement in the snow.

The REV Gen5 platform is also narrow and more refined to improve technical riding. It features profile running boards with a front-to-back extruded grid to allow snow to pass through easily, preventing washout and trenching while keeping the flatter foot-positioned footrests clear from snow build-up.

Polaris offers an optional shock package—Walker Evans Racing Velocity shocks. It also offers an optional electric start.

Ski-Doo already has the highest quality KYB lightweight high-pressure gas shocks that are rebuildable. It comes standard with SHOT starter—a lightweight pushbutton start that uses energy stored in the lightweight ultracapacitor to turn the magneto to start the sled.

Both the Pro RMK Slash and the Summit X will take you practically anywhere a turbo powered sled will go … just not as fast or in as straight a line. But when it comes to lightweights, these two represent the best value on the mountain.

=====

AND HERE ARE SOME COMMENTS ON THE TURBO VERSION..

SnoWest test rider Rhett Clark described riding a factory-stock Summit X turbo as being in many ways similar to riding the naturally aspirated Summit X. “They both were similar in bottom-end power with a smooth transition into the midrange,” he said. “But from there it’s all turbo taking over. The Ski-Doo turbo is rider friendly, with useable power.”

“The beauty of having an OEM turbo is you have the warranty to go along with it, and customers have appreciated that,” explained Jerry Mathews, operations manager at Starting Line Products. “We are seeing a bit of a resurgence back to the naturally aspirated sleds right now, and I think that’s because having a turbo is kind of like having your man card. You got to have that man card, and you got to try it once. And then, once you do it, you’re like, ‘Do I really need all this horsepower for what I do?’”

For some, the taste of power feeds their competitive juices. But for many, the turbos are fun and exciting … but really don’t deliver any added advantage for their respective riding styles. Actually, a naturally aspirated sled is much more responsive on the bottom end and handles much lighter and is easier to ride.

But still, there’s just something about that power. “The performance comparison between the Ski-Doo Turbo R and the 850 E-TEC would be of course the 850 turbo puts a bigger smile on your face,” SnoWest test rider Bruce Kerbs explained. “Both sleds run amazingly. The 850 E-TEC runs flawless through the snow, but I definitely prefer a turbo for the extra power.

Test rider Justin Stevens noted that the naturally aspirated 850s already deliver amazing power and performance. However, stock turbos can now add linear power with virtually no lag that makes them feel as lively as the 850s as they transition to top-end performance.

“To me the turbo just turns the fun factor up several notches,” Stevens said. “It truly is one of the quickest and strongest power delivery systems in the industry, all while being very rideable in most any conditions.”

Last edited:

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
great write up and glad someone’s able to get out and do some riding. that’s interesting about the factory defect with your previous sled. what was the issue?
be careful playing a-arm roulette!

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
thanks for the review hope I picked the right sled this year as I got a x instead of the expert. I will be 50 lbs lighter this year so hopefully it’s easier to ride.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
great write up and glad someone’s able to get out and do some riding. that’s interesting about the factory defect with your previous sled. what was the issue?
be careful playing a-arm roulette!
So it turns out that both suspension shocks (front and rear) on the skid had a total pressure loss.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
thanks for the review hope I picked the right sled this year as I got a x instead of the expert. I will be 50 lbs lighter this year so hopefully it’s easier to ride.
Honestly, (and I am NOT a paid sponsor nor a brand ambassador), I absolutely LOVED riding this Summit-X today.
It was just SO DAMN MUCH FUN.

You should be pretty able to hear it in my voice when I did the little self video after hitting the first stump.
I still had a total perma grin on my face at that point.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Wrote the check for a 2nd one today!
And turned in a short order for a few accessories as well.
a3d1ea7f8706dbe178b2187330cefa31.jpg

446a233885e2194055b437e0be9b1122.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
a guy should have a spare turbo R. I have my last years freeride and a shredder RE this year, wait until you get it some deep snow its night and day difference over my 21 turbo i had IMO

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
a guy should have a spare turbo R. I have my last years freeride and a shredder RE this year, wait until you get it some deep snow its night and day difference over my 21 turbo i had IMO
Already there.
Have two rides in and its just STRIKING to me the difference in the Gen4 vs. Gen5.
I can only imagine out much fun this thing is going to be once we get a solid 36" base and then a couple feel of fresh POW on top of it.
Absolutely the most fun sled I have owned thus far.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I've got a good friend of mine who rides with us who's well into his 70s.
Already there.
Have two rides in and its just STRIKING to me the difference in the Gen4 vs. Gen5.
I can only imagine out much fun this thing is going to be once we get a solid 36" base and then a couple feel of fresh POW on top of it.
Absolutely the most fun sled I have owned thus far.
It only gets better the deeper it is.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
what are some opinions from the skilled riders regarding improvements noticed on the G5 in regards to handling vs. the G4? always frustrating that the supposed reviews from the magazines or websites just regurgitate the stats. I don’t care, I can read that myself from the website. there’s rarely legitimate content that meets the definition of the word “review”. having said that, I’m too much of a spaz to have much of an objective opinion. I can hang and get to the places the much more experienced riders in my group can but it’s ugly.
the thing I noticed right away though is the G5 gets up on the snow better. multiple occasions where I woulda been stuck on the G4. I’ve also noticed the new sled is more nimble and I was over riding it until I figured out that it needs noticeably less input which is great. not so tired at the end of the day.

Last edited:

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
the thing I noticed right away though is the G5 gets up on the snow better. multiple occasions where I woulda been stuck on the G4. I’ve also noticed the new sled is more nimble and I was over riding it until I figured out that it needs noticeably less input which is great. not so tired at the end of the day.

Agreed on all counts. The ground speed on the G5 is in a different ballpark than the G4. It jumps right out of a hole that likely would have kept the G4 captive. Skis can be optional in many situations. It's a rowdy sled!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
what are some opinions from the skilled riders regarding improvements noticed on the G5 in regards to handling vs. the G4? always frustrating that the supposed reviews from the magazines or websites just regurgitate the stats. I don’t care, I can read that myself from the website. there’s rarely legitimate content that meets the definition of the word “review”. having said that, I’m too much of a spaz to have much of an objective opinion. I can hang and get to the places the much more experienced riders in my group can but it’s ugly.
So over the course of the day the three of us took turns playing on the new G5 Turbo.
I kept looking for a word to best describe what I was feeling.
At the end of the day we all settled in on "ROWDY".

The sled just WANTED to play.
I found it VERY easy to ride and incredibly FUN to do so.

If you are into Steep, Technical, Heavy Trees where you will be called upon to perform a LOT of precise sidehilling in POOR snow conditions, then this is probably the WRONG SLED. The Combination of the T-Motion and the Flex-Edge track give it a "SOFTER-SMOOTHER" ride quality than the Expert.

For me that was HIGHLY DESIRABLE.

While I can keep up with that kind of riding, I just don't really enjoy it for long periods of time as it simply WEARS ME OUT too fast at 60yrs of age.

I want a sled I can ride all day long in the mountains over a WIDE RANGE of terrain and NOT be exhausted.

I ride for the PURE JOY OF SLEDDING.

This sled ads MORE JOY to my riding!

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
what struck me and everyone i rode with last year is that its tough to get it stuck. like you guys said it just pops up on the snow and goes. i believe its the instant track speed from the extra HP. i cant wait to ride my 154 lynx. i havent been on anything shorter than a 163 for 20 years and i have already named it Party Mode

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
what struck me and everyone i rode with last year is that its tough to get it stuck. like you guys said it just pops up on the snow and goes. i believe its the instant track speed from the extra HP. i cant wait to ride my 154 lynx. i havent been on anything shorter than a 163 for 20 years and i have already named it Party Mode
Thats something I failed to comment on.
I only got stuck a handful of times over the last couple days.
But all in all, yes, it is EASIER to get back up out of the snow it seems.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
FOLLOWUP ITEM.

Just synced the sled up to my home WiFi router for the first time.
Connected right up with NO Issues.
Once connected I checked for the Software update and was told the sled was fully current.

Then synced up my iPhone to the sled, which worked just fine.

And finally Blu-Toothed in the BRP Go App.
This took me 3 tries.
Wasn't happy with the USB connection.
Not a clue why, but on the third try it connected and up came the map.

Seemed perfectly happy.

Also hooked up a battery tender.
The battery was just a bit below 80% charge, and that was after 2 good days of riding.
So it MIGHT be wise to consider a battery tender long term, or perhaps a slightly better battery?

Premium Features