• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What would it take to get you back on a Cat?

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
What would it take to get me back on a Cat?
Be lighter than my Polaris. Feel/ride lighter than my Polaris.

That's it. After that, I would love to go back to Kitty. My local dealer is way better.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I know it’s because everyone just jumps on the band wagon of crap they hear on social media, but It boggles my mind how the current sled is as different from the proclimb as a matryx is to the axys or axys is to the pro, but cat gets drug through the mud for “still selling a 2012 sled” while Polaris gets praised as revolutionary. Guess that’s the difference of Polaris having an engineering department that knows what it’s doing.
Fixed it for you.

Try swapping chassis parts between pro, Axys and matryx to find out……..

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Fixed it for you.

Try swapping chassis parts between pro, Axys and matryx to find out……..
Don’t need to swap parts. The axys is nothing but a pro with a lift kit/shallower tunnel. You can park them side by side and see the difference, and the matryx is nothing more than an axys with new bodywork. It’s been stated many times that the matryx suspension is the same as the axys. So like I said, Polaris makes refinements and it’s considered ground breaking, but when cat does it it’s nothing.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Don’t need to swap parts. The axys is nothing but a pro with a lift kit/shallower tunnel. You can park them side by side and see the difference, and the matryx is nothing more than an axys with new bodywork. It’s been stated many times that the matryx suspension is the same as the axys. So like I said, Polaris makes refinements and it’s considered ground breaking, but when cat does it it’s nothing.
I guess I’ve had the poo chassis’s torn apart side by side. Chassis Parts did not interchange.

Believe what you want.

I also helped convert a 14 PC to 19 parts.
No AC chassis parts needed to be changed.

Last edited:

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I guess I’ve had the poo chassis’s torn apart side by side. Chassis Parts did not interchange.

Believe what you want.

I also helped convert a 14 PC to 19 parts.
I get what you are saying here, but if you really did convert a 2014 Cat to 2019 specs you can't tell me they are the same sled either.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana

How did you do the lowered drive shaft? That requires a few 'chassis' part changes, even if a TKI template was used. The front and rear suspension parts would all have to be changed as well. It's more then just plastic. My twin rail 19 is completely different then the 16 I had, even after converting the drive shaft on the 16.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
How did you do the lowered drive shaft? That requires a few 'chassis' part changes, even if a TKI template was used. The front and rear suspension parts would all have to be changed as well. It's more then just plastic. My twin rail 19 is completely different then the 16 I had, even after converting the drive shaft on the 16.
It was just suspension, plastics, bumper and console/ airbox parts.

He already had the 3” pc and good running boards swapped in before that.

No drop and roll.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Soooo you really didn't convert it to a 2019.

Rough list of the things that are the same from a 2014 to a 2019 are the bulkhead (and thus front suspension mount points), upper chassis spars, fuel tank, handlebars (not controls or grips), steering post layout, heat exchanger, bumpers, ski runners dampers and loops, front arm in the skid, lower part of the rear scissor arm, skid mounting bolt locations in the tunnel, chain case tensioner, idler wheels, scratchers, some bolts, bushings and hardware, tail light, and the darn snow flap. And there were 26 updates from a 2013 to a 2014 before that.

Pretty much every other meaningful part has changed in some way. Makes me chuckle when I see an add for an older proclimb and it says "all the updates."

bgraff1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Lloydminster, Alberta

Rough list of the things that are the same from a 2014 to a 2019 are the bulkhead (and thus front suspension mount points), upper chassis spars, fuel tank, handlebars (not controls or grips), steering post layout, heat exchanger, bumpers, ski runners dampers and loops, front arm in the skid, lower part of the rear scissor arm, skid mounting bolt locations in the tunnel, chain case tensioner, idler wheels, scratchers, some bolts, bushings and hardware, tail light, and the darn snow flap. And there were 26 updates from a 2013 to a 2014 before that.

Pretty much every other meaningful part has changed in some way. Makes me chuckle when I see an add for an older proclimb and it says "all the updates."
exactly, one of the biggest changes in 2017 was the mcat w/ the dropped case.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East

A couple things about this….
I’ve got an axys khaos(21) and a matryx khaos(22). They ride quite different.
I’ve got a very well set up ‘18 MC with elevate. It’s very similar to the 21 khaos in ride feel. The 22 matryx feels more different from the 21’ than the Cat does to the 21 khaos.
Biggest difference between all 3 of them is control. 22 matryx is far easier to ride over the Cat. That is why I switched. I also haven’t had to add anything to it to make it better.
I’m a Cat person and always have been, but it’s just not very inspiring anymore to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..

Yep we only changed the parts that affect handling.

Already had a belt drive.

Already had a team primary.

The 17+ drop and roll helps low speed climbing on top of the snow and snow evac but doesn’t affect handling in a positive way.

S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden
Comparison might not work as well on the western side of the Atlantic but I use to call Cat the SAAB of the sledding world. A few utterly brilliant ideas but sadly mixed with at least as many fully retarded ones.... The monorail skid for example. A nice idea but then they made it out of coarse grained cast lead or something, cracks and falls to pieces even for people that doesn't jump at all....and not to mention bolting the skid together with 6mm bolts with no decent axles.....

What it would take for me to get one? A good dealer near by, Bodywork/plastics that doesn't look and fit like something I have made myself out of scrap. Side panels out of something less brittle than glass, more durable track and skid, (all brands needs to have a look at improving the track's durability!!), and the price of course.

Their new generation that will be revealed at Hay Days will be interesting to see. But why reveal it a year before you can even order one?

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Yep we only changed the parts that affect handling.
did ya at least cram some 8 tooths in it? match gearing, or go a hair lower due to the evac resistance you mention? and the clutch heat from that secondary.
wait till poo drops their case a little more to better fit the 3". It will be revolutionary.

which year was steering improved, the older ones could not counter steer far enough for many in tech riding. "wyo mod" was the big upgrade, still on kmod's site i see.

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Comparison might not work as well on the western side of the Atlantic but I use to call Cat the SAAB of the sledding world. A few utterly brilliant ideas but sadly mixed with at least as many fully retarded ones.... The monorail skid for example. A nice idea but then they made it out of coarse grained cast lead or something, cracks and falls to pieces even for people that doesn't jump at all....and not to mention bolting the skid together with 6mm bolts with no decent axles.....

What it would take for me to get one? A good dealer near by, Bodywork/plastics that doesn't look and fit like something I have made myself out of scrap. Side panels out of something less brittle than glass, more durable track and skid, (all brands needs to have a look at improving the track's durability!!), and the price of course.

Their new generation that will be revealed at Hay Days will be interesting to see. But why reveal it a year before you can even order one?
My guess is that they probably won't make you wait a year before you can order one. More likely, ordering will be available right away. When will it show up? Now, that's a different question. We will see.

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
My guess is that they probably won't make you wait a year before you can order one. More likely, ordering will be available right away. When will it show up? Now, that's a different question. We will see.
I'm thinking more along the lines of a limited release of early builds available some time during this upcoming winter like they did with the 2018s, I feel like that was pretty successful for them.

Last edited:

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
I'm still on my cat, but really I probably won't buy a other cat until they reinstate my old dealer. Since that won't happen, I guess I'm onto something else in the future.

Sled wise, what they have performs great, but it's really the service aspect that's in shambles. The dealers near me ask $385 for a belt now.

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
If you're riding a cat, and you aren't in connection with Kevin Hubbard (Hubs performance) or Eric Kay (Racin' Station) for parts and service, you need to. Even though I'm in Western Washington, they're definitely the go-to people for anything, I don't even bother with the local dealership. I've actually never really visited a dealership besides for oil. Maybe it's a millennial thing

Premium Features