• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Substiture planetary gear set in mechanical reverse DD?

TurboSportTSi

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 16, 2022
Lewistown, MT
Hi all. The planetary just went out in my '07 M8 and it looks like there are zero options for direct replacement, factory or aftermarket.

With used DDs being a ridiculously expensive gamble, I was wondering if the planetary from the engine reverse models would get me up and running, just without a functioning reverse. I see that BDX has one for ~$160.

Everything else in my DD looks pretty darn good, so if I can salvage it and replace bearings & seals while I'm in there, I would like to; it would buy me time so I can try to find someone to rebuild my factory planetary.

If anyone knows where I could get a direct replacement, I'm all ears but not holding my breath...

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
They are different, but you can bolt up the 09-11 DD directly in place you just lose reverse.

TurboSportTSi

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 16, 2022
Lewistown, MT
They are different, but you can bolt up the 09-11 DD directly in place you just lose reverse.
Yeah, that looks to be a decent option, shy of forking over $2k+ for a whole new, direct replacement DD; not gonna happen on a $3k sled...

For not much more than the price of some of those 09-11 used, untested DDs ($7-800), I could get the BDX Lite (~$1,200) and hopefully be done with it for good. Losing reverse is a bummer but having a busted sled in the middle of the season is worse!

TurboSportTSi

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 16, 2022
Lewistown, MT
Country Cat lists a replacement for 2 k yikes!
0702-955
BDX list replacements also
That's the whole gearbox though. That price sure is painful! Hoping to find a repair part for the one thing that's broken, but it doesn't look like any options exist nowadays.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
Yeah, that looks to be a decent option, shy of forking over $2k+ for a whole new, direct replacement DD; not gonna happen on a $3k sled...

For not much more than the price of some of those 09-11 used, untested DDs ($7-800), I could get the BDX Lite (~$1,200) and hopefully be done with it for good. Losing reverse is a bummer but having a busted sled in the middle of the season is worse!
If I remember you have to buy the track shaft too with the bdx lite. Find one on ebay and use it for parts if the planetary gear is good.

TurboSportTSi

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 16, 2022
Lewistown, MT
If I remember you have to buy the track shaft too with the bdx lite. Find one on ebay and use it for parts if the planetary gear is good.
Yes, that is what the description says for the Lite - I couldn't find the part number they called out for the track shaft, but estimated about $200 and factored that cost into the total.

Definitely keeping an eye on ebay for a good donor that at least has a compatible planetary, but that will be a gamble either way.

M
Nov 12, 2012
your best bet for cost savings may be buying one of those ebay $500+ used gear cases for your machine, and then just take planetary out of that to put in yours, then re sell the gearcase minus the planetary on ebay, you should still be able to get $200 or so for remaining parts, so then your only out $300 ish ?? just a thought.

TurboSportTSi

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 16, 2022
Lewistown, MT
There's a couple blown apart units on ebay where folks have done just that - all parts but the planetary are there.

I didn't want to gamble on a used part of unknown condition and would prefer to keep reverse at this point, so I bought a new, factory unit that I found for $1,300, which was painful but is a damn sight better than the ~$2,200 that other new ones go for.

Could've done the BDX Lite + trackshaft for about the same cost, which I may kick myself for not doing, but this way gives me peace of mind and is plug n play - should be back up and running in a week or two. Having only been sledding for a month or so now, the performance draw isn't there yet - I just want simplicity and everything to work as designed so I can learn and enjoy the ride.

Will still see if I can rebuild or replace my planetary...can either sell the original gearbox as a good, working unit or keep it as a backup.

Thanks for everyones' input - it is much appreciated.

Premium Features