• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ascender lift spindle options and opinions

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
If you don’t know the caster and are unfamiliar with them how do you base that recommendation?

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
If you don’t know the caster and are unfamiliar with them how do you base that recommendation?
Feedback and friends experience with the full TKI kit - wasn't aware I needed a certification to given an opinion!!!!

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
No certificates required, just curious why you discount an arm as you say you know nothing about it.

I’ve got no skin in this at all.

W

wasatchcomm

Aug 17, 2009
Pinedale wy.
any of you guys ride in the wyoming range or near it? I would really like to meet up and see what this is all about and maybe even see it in action compared to my stock set up, maybe its not for me, it would be expensive upgrade , and id like to see it in action before pulling the trigger. no worries if no one is in the area. I also bought 2 2018 cats 165,153, both seem to ride as good to me, but I haven't had a chance to get them on any crazy tight terrain, but all 3 are so much better than the 2014 I used to have

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Trail sleds are still 17° caster, unless they changed and didn't specify or i missed the article.
That is a great angle for trail sleds and easy steering, not so great for the sidehilling.

I would like to try ~22°.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
^do the ski tips point down when the front is in the air with those ice age arms?
I see could more of a benefit when running the long nosed stock skis, pulls them more under the sled.

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Put TKI A arms I got from Sno*jet on with stock spindle on my 18 tonight and tried riding in my field. With stock ski rubber it pushed ski tips down so hard that any uneven terrain it grabbed and wanted to rip handlebars away to either side. Taking the Riot spindles off my other sled tomorrow night to install on this one and should be good but tipping the caster too far ahead on spindles not made for it may make for sketchy handling unless modifying the ski rubbers. When I put the Riots on in place of my 16 spindles I had to remove material from rear of ski rubber as skis pointed up too far. Putting 16 spindles back on that one and geometry of both should be better.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
^oh hell yeah brother, i fully thought you intended to get riot spindles with those, that is where the magic happens apparently.

P
Dec 15, 2018
Ice age sure are pretty!! Home town guys too. So is the main complaint about them they have to much caster for most? Seeing as they are milled could you ask for a certain caster I wonder? I have a 22 hc that I’d like to mess with for the sake of learning. I can’t ride all that great but in the spirit of hotroding like to spend money lol

spoon

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
^oh hell yeah brother, i fully thought you intended to get riot spindles with those, that is where the magic happens apparently.
Oh yeah, the riots are going on before I ride again, I was also doing some tuning and wanted to do a rip, nearly chucked me over bars twice at 30mph so stripping ones off the other sled tonight.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
any of you guys ride in the wyoming range or near it? I would really like to meet up and see what this is all about and maybe even see it in action compared to my stock set up, maybe its not for me, it would be expensive upgrade , and id like to see it in action before pulling the trigger. no worries if no one is in the area. I also bought 2 2018 cats 165,153, both seem to ride as good to me, but I haven't had a chance to get them on any crazy tight terrain, but all 3 are so much better than the 2014 I used to have
I ride the Wyoming Range weekly ! Live 60 miles from it

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
dont see how you can raise the front and reduce ski pressure. i think what the arms do is make the skis stay flatter when turning side to side.

spoon

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
dont see how you can raise the front and reduce ski pressure. i think what the arms do is make the skis stay flatter when turning side to side.
Adjusting skid to match the lift is only way to reduce ski pressure if that is the goal. I found the geometry change with the TKI arms and Riot spindles made the sled more trail friendly like the 12-15s for steering effort. Still easy to initiate a sidehill like the 16+ geometry. Good compromise, haven't noticed any drawbacks yet other than me learning how to keep from overcompensating for the Alpha skid and how easy it lays over.

Premium Features