• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ascender lift spindle options and opinions

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
Getting to be lots of lift “elevate” spindle options, what are you running and why?

I run my skid dropped(lower mount holes) and I’m afraid the ice age +2”spindles will add more ski pressure so I’ve been eyeing the zrp 1.25” spindles. And there’s always TKI’s riot conversion. Or those goofy looking BDX ones..

Thoughts, opinions, what have you rode?

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
I did factory riots for half the price of everything else.

Zrp was my next choice.

I didn’t like the hair trigger balance point the elevates created on the one I rode.
Wasn’t my sled so maybe it could’ve been adjusted better.

Very happy with the riot spindles but also have mowhawks.
Factory ski liked to grab too much for me.

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
I’m leaning towards the zrp spindles.

I’ve searched but haven’t been able to find how much the riot spindles lift? They slightly alter the geometry too?

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Twin rail - full elevate setup
Alpha rail - TKI/riot.
This would be my recommendation too after riding and/or observing a few setups in our group and feedback I've read on here. The Alpha and twin rails seem to favor slightly different setups.

Two friends (Including Chewy22) have 2019 twin rails with full Elevate setups. After riding one in some deep spring snow with a few crusty layers I had no complaints, and it handled great. The price tag is steep, but something about the combination of the spindles and rail profile just works. If building one, all around use sled this is the direction I would go. I have a sled with traditional Kmod twin rail paired with Elevate spindles and while it's very capable steep and deep snow sled I'm contemplating going back to stock skid with Elevate rails for a better all around sled.

One of the friends above also has a supercharged Alpha that originally had Elevate setup with stock rail skid. He hated it in anything but fresh snow. He's since changed that setup and gone to a Kmod skinny and ZRP spindles and said he likes it better all around. How much is the skid and how much the spindles I can't say. I also have a supercharged Alpha with Kmod skinny and TKI/Riot spindles. It tips side to side noticeably easier on the shop floor than his sled with the ZRP spindles, easier to hold the sled up on edge, and skis don't try to change steering angle on me when rolling it up on edge. This is a trait stock cats have had over the years that I think contributes to their stability tracking across hills in the rough. Steers easy too even with powder pro skis. However, I did fight it on the same layered snow that the Twin Rail Elevated sled went right through without fuss.

Note that Riot and Ice Age spindles have steering stops. ZRP don't. Riot spindles give 1.5" lift if I remember right.

Another friend has a stock 2022 165 Alpha HC and TKI/Riot setup. Rode it in some soft, deep snow. Nothing really technical, but it was super fun easy to ride machine in that environment.

No personal experience with the Mountainside or BMP spindles, but there's some feedback here: https://www.snowest.com/forum/threads/mountain-side-spindles.460389/

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
^^^^
I agree with this. I would only add re. the twin rail, the shocks need a re-valve specific for the elevate. It functions even better after that is done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Agree on the revalve. The extra pressure on the rear track shock from raising the front makes it bottom easier.

I also found that the front end diving was exaggerated after elevate was installed. It was nearly eliminated with front shocks revalved. It allowed me to run about 10psi less and no fiddling around with them day to day based on conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Don’t forget to look at the backwoods bmp spindle. They are $760 on the website. I think they raise close to 2”, but not 100% sure.
1654629298310.png

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
Been trying to get a hold backwoods, no reply, probably won’t give them business. Email, Facebook, and Instagram, no reply’s, I was going to buy rail braces from them but bought elsewhere instead.

was attempting to quote the bmp spindle reply

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
My main want with going higher with the spindles is getting the chassis out of the snow so it isn’t constantly paneling. I try not to ride deep snow and don’t care about it, I like nasty, variable snow, the stuff everyone else doesn’t want to ride and need light ski pressure for quick edge changes. Tonight I had some awkward moments where I needed to do a tight downhill u-turn on hard pack but it would panel out taking weight off the track when I needed traction. The chassis is simply too low.

With the skid “dropped” how high can we go with spindles before ski pressure gets heavy? 2” seems like it would result in a lot of ski pressure make the sled less flickable, even with the skid “dropped” but at the same time the back of my track is 1.5”-1.75” off the ground when the sled is on level ground.

These spindles are expensive so I want to choose the right one the first time.

I’m somewhat ruling tki out because they don’t use stock a arms and could result in down time. Is that set up good enough to be ok with waiting on shipping?

That barcode set up looks like something I would constantly break and looks ski heavy.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
how does it climb with any control with the skid dropped and stock spindles? you need these spindles like yesterday! is this an alpha or twin rail and what skis?

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
My main want with going higher with the spindles is getting the chassis out of the snow so it isn’t constantly paneling. I try not to ride deep snow and don’t care about it, I like nasty, variable snow, the stuff everyone else doesn’t want to ride and need light ski pressure for quick edge changes. Tonight I had some awkward moments where I needed to do a tight downhill u-turn on hard pack but it would panel out taking weight off the track when I needed traction. The chassis is simply too low.

With the skid “dropped” how high can we go with spindles before ski pressure gets heavy? 2” seems like it would result in a lot of ski pressure make the sled less flickable, even with the skid “dropped” but at the same time the back of my track is 1.5”-1.75” off the ground when the sled is on level ground.

These spindles are expensive so I want to choose the right one the first time.

I’m somewhat ruling tki out because they don’t use stock a arms and could result in down time. Is that set up good enough to be ok with waiting on shipping?

That barcode set up looks like something I would constantly break and looks ski heavy.
Do a twin rail elevate from Ice Age. I have 50 days this season on that set up and it's been great in all conditions this strange year has given us. I have experienced no adverse effects with ski pressure, best way I would explain it is by using a Polaris analogy... This kit will make your machine behave more like a 'khaos', where as stock would be like a 'pro'

Buy once cry once

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
You put a kit on your sled so it was waiting for motor work in the shop for 50 days this year?

Polaris joke aside….

The best sleds set ups for this years snow most areas were pogo phasers….

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
I’m wanting to commit to the alpha, if I can get it to work I’ll get a second cat and build a twin rail. I know my logic is flawed. I’m a idiot with a snowmobile addiction, nothing adds up.

For some reason quotes don’t work for me idk

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
MOST areas.

Apparently yours is one that doesn’t fit that.

South and east of you had very low snow pack percentages.

Premium Features