• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New Pro Primary Clutch Damage

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
Was inspecting my clutch the other day and wasn't too happy with what I found. Sled has 100 miles on it. I can't figure out what happened. My ideas are that it was either screwed up from the factory, or I had something banging around in there. I didn't hear anything when I rode it this weekend, so I am a little baffled. My dealer is obviously going to warranty it, but still a little bothersome. Any ideas?
027.jpg

028.jpg

029.jpg

032.jpg

J
Dec 2, 2002
Monticello, MN
Did you happen to hit anything with side panel? The scuffs on the cover plate tells me that it rubbed on the shock tower or side panel. Just guessing.

They have been using this style clutch for years, I am thinking this is a isolated incident.

V

Vertical

Mar 10, 2008
We had one of these incidents on an 09 800 RMK. The pto mount bolt came out and the primary took and sent it into the stirrup area behind the secondary. Lucky for the guy he didn't get a grade 8 bolt stuck in his leg!!

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Are the black marks belt material or plastic from the tub? Either way, something bad has happened there :face-icon-small-con. If the belt rode over the top and exploded, perhaps it took something with it into the clutch? If it's plastic from the bellypan, then something must have been hit??? Something goofy must have happened. ??

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
I am taking a look see in a minute. On the impact: That was my first thought as well, I didn't hit anything, but a few of my friends rode it and I figured maybe they did. No damage whatsoever to the side panels or belly pan. I am going to take a light and magnet and go through it thoroughly this evening.
Note: My intent is definitely not to create an uproar on shoddy craftsmanship, etc...I was just looking for some ideas on what may have happened. I am leaning more toward some type of object in there, since there are dents and dings in multiple places on the clutch. I fully agree this is probably an isolated incident. The other thing that mystifies me is that if something was flying around in there you would think I would have heard it.

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
I found the culprit

It was wedged between the plastic and running board. Seems like a pretty big bolt to be randomly floating around inside my motor. Now to utilize the true power of Snowest...where the hell did this thing come from?
001.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
Looks like an exhaust manifold bolt. check your y-pipe, do you have all of yours? other than that i wouldn't have any idea.

pv

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
I think it is a motor mount bolt! I found the rubber gear shaped bushing in another part of my engine compartment.:face-icon-small-fro
006.jpg

Last edited:

longgold

Premium Member
Nov 9, 2010
Whistler BC.
We had one of these incidents on an 09 800 RMK. The pto mount bolt came out and the primary took and sent it into the stirrup area behind the secondary. Lucky for the guy he didn't get a grade 8 bolt stuck in his leg!!

looks like Vertical nailed it first guess...impressive...especially if it turns out to be the PTO side mount bolt!

Nice work finding the source...I'm just glad its warranty!!! Also glad it wasn't a projectile coming at your head through your vents or something.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
The motor mount bolt as said above... looks sheared off (broken)...not backed out... but the photo is not really clear of the end of the bolt.

Easy way to tell... the bolt is a 10mm X 1.5 pitch X 50mm long.
Measure the loose one and it should be approx 2" long (1.97")
Measure UNDER the head to the end of the bolt.
length-socket-cap.gif

If so, the motor probably needs to come out to get the other end out of the motor strap... look for damage to the strap if this is the case.

Mag side ... I'd bet the rear one.

Definitely a Warranty issue as said above...Check also the faces of the secondary.

In addition, I'd push to have the remaining 3 motor mount bolts covered under warranty as well as the other 3 motor mounts which would have received undue strain from the loose motor. .

IMO, the primary should also be replaced...under warranty coverage since the bolt has scarred up the primary and could cause problems down the road.

How does the torque arm look, #4 in the diagram above?

Good luck... ride em like a rented mule!!

Last edited:
A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
The motor mount bolt as said above... looks sheared off (broken)...not backed out... but the photo is not really clear of the end of the bolt.

Easy way to tell... the bolt is a 10mm X 1.5 pitch X 50mm long.
Measure the loose one and it should be approx 2" long (1.97")
Measure UNDER the head to the end of the bolt.
length-socket-cap.gif

If so, the motor probably needs to come out to get the other end out of the motor strap... look for damage to the strap if this is the case.

Mag side ... I'd bet the rear one.

Definitely a Warranty issue as said above...Check also the faces of the secondary.

In addition, I'd push to have the remaining 3 motor mount bolts covered under warranty as well as the other 3 motor mounts which would have received undue strain from the loose motor. .

IMO, the primary should also be replaced...under warranty coverage since the bolt has scarred up the primary and could cause problems down the road.

How does the torque arm look, #4 in the diagram above?

Good luck... ride em like a rented mule!!

I was hoping you would chime in. Yep, the bolt is sheared off, it measures 1 3/8". The primary is being replaced, I didn't see any visible dings on the secondary. Good point on the remaining motor mount bolts, I will have those replaced as well. I will be with them step by step (the dealers are friends of mine) and make sure we cover all the bases. Any idea of a cause MH? I am thinking something as simple as the bolt not being tight enough in the first place? I am a little nervous, as stated above in my earlier post I hope I didn't get a lemon. And yes, I will ride it like a rented mule, I don't know any other way.:face-icon-small-win
Thanks for all the input gentlemen...a good example of what Snowest should be!

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
IMO... probalby an isolated incident... glad you were not hurt.

Check the motor mount straps very well for any thread damge and replace them if they look suspect.

That is a pretty sturdy, high-grade, bolt... could be a defect from the bolt manufacturer.

Tree Boss

Lifetime Membership
Jan 11, 2009
Franklin County ID
I also had primary clutch damage today. halfway through todays ride as I went to stop the sled bogged down and died. When I tried to start it I could feel it pulling the track so I put the sled on it's side and started it up and the track was turning at a decent rate of speed so we took it to the dealer today and the spider was broke. They put the clutch puller on it but only got half of the clutch. The other half is stuck to my crank. They have never seen a clutch go this bad so I'm sure it's just a fluke (atleast I hope it is) so I'm out for a few days waiting for the new clutch to show up. I'm just glad it's not me trying to get the rest of the clutch off of the crank and it's them that gets to do it.

Premium Features