• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Advice needed on what to do with stock clutches

E

Eatstone

Jan 23, 2021
East Kootenay
I currently have a '22 Matryx 850 Slash 155 2.75 track with 1000Km on the sled. I ride the Interior of BC mountains commonly between 55-7500' elevation with up to 10000' when I got to Catamount Glacier 3 times per year. The factory clutching seams to perform well at my comonlly rode elevations except when I get to 9-10K'. I mostly enjoy tree riding, boondocking and a little bit of chute climbing mixed in. Our snow is usually mid fluffiness, not wet and heavy or light and fluffy. (Not usually blower deep either) I'm about 230lbs geared up. Intermediate rider with this being my 4th upcoming season of riding.

My question is where to spend my money on clutches. My options are 1 of these due to budget restrictions:

1) Full Ibexx clutch kit with primary and secondary springs and weights and helix- About $800 CAD plus my labour.
or
2) Patricks Carbon Custom full meal deal balancing of primary and secondary including carbon primary cover and Ti bolts. About $1200 CAD with shipping both ways. ( I live near the Montana border so I drive across to ship/pick up stuff)

Ive read here clutching kits and companies are usually user preference. I'm happy overall with how the sled performs, just looking to spend some $ prior to sled season.

My clutch is not part of the recall going on right now according to my vin.

What would you recommend and why?

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
The factory clutching seams to perform well at my comonlly rode elevations except when I get to 9-10K'.

Ive read here clutching kits and companies are usually user preference. I'm happy overall with how the sled performs, just looking to spend some $ prior to sled season.
What is the problem at 9-10k that you're trying to address? Clutching is a lot like suspension - without specific goals you can throw a lot of money away on it.

E

Eatstone

Jan 23, 2021
East Kootenay
Im not really trying to fix anything. I dont ride often enough at 9-10K' to fix it. Just looking to see if I can eek out any more performance from the stock sled while riding at the 55-7500' elevation.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Gear down kit will offer instant satisfaction. One can always do clutching after.
IMG_0961.png

Last edited:

carbontj

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
indianapolis
I currently have a '22 Matryx 850 Slash 155 2.75 track with 1000Km on the sled. I ride the Interior of BC mountains commonly between 55-7500' elevation with up to 10000' when I got to Catamount Glacier 3 times per year. The factory clutching seams to perform well at my comonlly rode elevations except when I get to 9-10K'. I mostly enjoy tree riding, boondocking and a little bit of chute climbing mixed in. Our snow is usually mid fluffiness, not wet and heavy or light and fluffy. (Not usually blower deep either) I'm about 230lbs geared up. Intermediate rider with this being my 4th upcoming season of riding.

My question is where to spend my money on clutches. My options are 1 of these due to budget restrictions:

1) Full Ibexx clutch kit with primary and secondary springs and weights and helix- About $800 CAD plus my labour.
or
2) Patricks Carbon Custom full meal deal balancing of primary and secondary including carbon primary cover and Ti bolts. About $1200 CAD with shipping both ways. ( I live near the Montana border so I drive across to ship/pick up stuff)

My clutch is not part of the recall going on right now according to my vin.

What would you recommend and why
Our PCC deal will work good at all elevations. the light weight clutching help with Faster throttle response every time you squeeze the throttle... the balancing helps efficiency and with belt heat and longevity of clutches and bearings...

mrooks17

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2021
Ohio
#2. I have the PCC deal along with a Burandt clutch kit and I love the performance of mine. I ride Rabbit Ears pass (9k-11k) and the Chic Choc on the east coast at 2-4k feet. The SLP weights are easy to tune when out in the backcountry. Are you losing RPM at 9-10k feet? I'm 66g with my clutch kit at Rabbit Ears
Sounds like you want both a clutch kit and PCC deal.... lol

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Lot’s of good clutch guys up here in Canada that ride our areas and conditions. If you want Ibexx talk with Stoked in Revy or Whiskey Throttle. They have that kit dialed.

Another good option is Ben at Altitude Powersports. He has full kits and gear down kits.

M
Dec 3, 2018
I also agree TRS kits work. I am intrigued by the gear down kit too though what benefits are you guys that run the gear down kit seeing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did a pretty significant gear down on my 850, really happy with the results. But I did have to change my clutching significantly to get it to work. I worked with TRS, told him what I was doing with the gear down and where I was riding, and he nailed it. As far a benefits, all your doing is making it easier for the track to get up to speed. The most efficient range for putting power down on your sled is when your clutches are running 1:1. A gear down help you spend more time there in the back country at the cost of top speed. So, I cant go 80 on the trails, but the sled performs way better in the deep snow. Another downside is that my Odo is way off now, and at least last I checked Polaris wouldn't reprogram the 850 to read the new gearing.

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
A gear down help you spend more time there in the back country at the cost of top speed. So, I cant go 80 on the trails, but the sled performs way better in the deep snow. Another downside is that my Odo is way off now, and at least last I checked Polaris wouldn't reprogram the 850 to read the new gearing.

Speedo Healers (HealTech) are a super easy install and fix this problem with non-stock gearing.

E

Eatstone

Jan 23, 2021
East Kootenay
#2. I have the PCC deal along with a Burandt clutch kit and I love the performance of mine. I ride Rabbit Ears pass (9k-11k) and the Chic Choc on the east coast at 2-4k feet. The SLP weights are easy to tune when out in the backcountry. Are you losing RPM at 9-10k feet? I'm 66g with my clutch kit at Rabbit Ears
Sounds like you want both a clutch kit and PCC deal.... lol
When I was at 9-10k' last year id only hit 7650 on long pulls on stock clutching. 55-7500 it pulls 8250 all day long. I dont want the PCC and clutch kit but my funds are limited to one or the other now that my kid is riding too.

PSI 800

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 1, 2015
north west british columbia
gear down makes your sled more responsive for sure, I run the kurts geardown and their clutching that goes with the gear down and i think i may have lost maybe 5 mph on the top end, but it is way more responsive which is nice in the trees

E

Eatstone

Jan 23, 2021
East Kootenay
Thanks everyone for your help and opinions. I got ahold of Tony at TRS and he’s getting me set up. I will run his kit this season then decide if I want to go further with PCC.

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
Thanks everyone for your help and opinions. I got ahold of Tony at TRS and he’s getting me set up. I will run his kit this season then decide if I want to go further with PCC.
I'm sure Tony explained this to you, but you do know when using his weights you have to have the spider in the primary reshimmed? The average sledder doesn't have the tools. I plan to send mine to @carbontj (PCC) to have the clutch kit installed and clutches balanced, once I talk to him and confirm that he will install the clutch kit.

Last edited:
E

Eatstone

Jan 23, 2021
East Kootenay
I'm sure Tony explained this to you, but you do know when using his weights you have the spider in the primary reshimmed? The average sledder doesn't have the tools. I plan to send mine to @carbontj (PCC) to have the clutch kit installed and clutches balanced, once I talk to him and confirm that he will install the clutch kit.
We spoke a bunch about desired riding type and conditions that I commonly ride. He was going hunting so I’ll call him next week.

I was considering having the kit shipped to PCC and I’d send my clutches down for balancing and such. I’m not sure I wanna dump 2k cad on my clutches right now.

I think I’ll put a new track on and the clutch kit for now.

Premium Features