• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

wildchild steering post for 1m

Oct 10, 2008
lewiston id
does anyone have some pictures of wildchild steering post installed on thier sled? does it bend before or after cross mount? if mounted in front of cross mount do you need to notch out hood? thanks dan

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
the shaft is strait until just before the carbs and then it has an offset to go past the carb. you have to notch the hood if you get the forward mount version(get it forward). one for the best upgrades for the old cat but get it 2 or 3" taller. has some flex but over 3k on it in the mountains of Id and still going strong. the only way to get them i know of is to pm wildchild here on the 4M

P

pano-dude

Nov 28, 2007
invermere
I just installed a forward mount 2" rise from CR racing and it is 4130 cromoly. Wildchild had none in stock, he may have some now though.

The stock post would hit the carbs if mounted in front. A 1" hole saw is all that is needed for hood notching.

I had to notch out my oil tank bracket about 2".

Pull everything out and install from the bottom.

Took an hr.

Really makes a difference in rider position.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Just a plug for Kurt. We use his stuff on the Nytro post relocation and the fit and finish is great!

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
wildchild post with a LOT of miles on it!! 2" over stock
0409091629.jpg

0409091630.jpg

It does clear the air box but i have remove it so you can see the lower bracket.
0409091631.jpg

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Ok, I have an 04 1m 900, stock.

a - How much higher than stock can I go with the stock wiring/lines/cables?

b - I'm 6'3" and it seems like 3" taller than stock gets the bars high enough to hold onto without bending over. I'm sure a few more inches would be better but I don't want to mess with adding extensions. If you have added risers, how much and how tall are you and would you go higher or lower next time?

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
I'm 6'0 and went with a 2" tall over stock, you can get away with the 2" but you have to add a 45 degree and a strait fitting to the brake caliper side of the brake line (4 bucks) to make it work. you fell like you have a set of ape hanger on the trail but only when you sitting down. i think i would have done the 3" over stock but at the time didn't want to spend the money on the cables and the 2" has a nice fit for me. the 2" over stock is almost the same height as the O'les riser = to 3.5" and anything over 2" will need the wiring extended.

U

U turn

Banned
Nov 27, 2007
Ardrossan, AB
05KK with wildchild post to stock specs. Way better than stock for stiffness with Rox risers. Bars are about the same position as with forward mount, just the riser makes up for the difference.

Kurt has great products, I seem to buy something from him almost every year!! Highly recommended.

Oct 10, 2008
lewiston id
thanks for pics. think i will give one a try. need new post anyways plus if you add rox risers, you are close to same price as kurts posts. straightened stock post once before but isnt holding there anymore. sounds like shouldnt have any problems reselling it if dont like it

P

pano-dude

Nov 28, 2007
invermere
05KK with wildchild post to stock specs. Way better than stock for stiffness with Rox risers. Bars are about the same position as with forward mount, just the riser makes up for the difference.

Kurt has great products, I seem to buy something from him almost every year!! Highly recommended.

There is a difference in the way the forward mount post handles compared to the stock with the rox riser.

With stock post and riser your weight is ahead of the post and I found myself slamming into the bars to much.

C

chevota84

Oct 5, 2008
Mine has a fabcraft forward mount and it had the stock airbox on it, it cleared fine. I went to pods because I was tired of sucking snow.

Premium Features