• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What are the best Ice Scratchers for Axys chassis?

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
One of mine broke and I would like to know what others prefer. More importantly, I want to know which ones to not consider. Which ones can potentially damage track etc.

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
My dad has some really good ones I'm gonna get. Ice storm I believe is what they're called, they've got extra tips that throw a ton of snow. Supposed to be reverse-safe but I wouldn't try it unless you're on rock hard snow.

If you want truly reversible ones, the Ski-Doo rail mounted ones are probably best

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Had a recent trip out on some hard icy trails to access high country.

2 sleds had Ice Storm scratchers with the tail flippers. No problem keeping cool
1 sled had StayCool copies of the Ice Storm scratchers but lacked down pressure so sled got hot
3 other sleds had variations on the cable scratchers, all got hot

1 thing I will add, make sure you have a way to remove the scratcher if it breaks. The remaining arm of the spring can rub on the edge of the track if left unattended. I made an adapter to pull mine off if that ever happens.

Scratcher tool.jpg

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Make sure you have a way to remove the scratcher if it breaks. The remaining arm of the spring can rub on the edge of the track if left unattended.
THIS is what I like about the factory ones from polaris. One of mine broke, but it did not contact the track. No harm, no foul!

Thanks for the replies guys!

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Does anyone know of forum member vendors that have the rail mounted Ice Storm in stock?
Would prefer to patronize forum members if possible!

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
THIS is what I like about the factory ones from polaris. One of mine broke, but it did not contact the track. No harm, no foul!

Thanks for the replies guys!
If you are such a big fan of factory Polaris scratchers, you should be fine.

Oh wait, you are wanting aftermarket for some reason.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Ibexx is what im going to try. Reversible and throw snow up further in chassis. Stock one throw it right behind cooler on matrx. They're to long which doesn't matter on an axys.

C
Nov 29, 2008
Skidoo Reverseables had them on my Axys and all my Skidoo's

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk
X's2. They do work great and if you install in the same hole as the stock scratchers you can tuck the scratcher end through the cutouts in the rail - no need to install the standoff brackets

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Thanks guys.
Made it to dealer and bought a factory pair today.

"Ice Storm" was out of stock everywhere!

alstar

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
North of Duluth, MN
Ibexx in my opinion are best. I've had stock Polaris and like everyone I've broke them, I've had the cable ones and well they just suck. Ibexx have been great.

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Ibexx in my opinion are best. I've had stock Polaris and like everyone I've broke them, I've had the cable ones and well they just suck. Ibexx have been great.
Ive heard all good about these, hadnt used them cause last couple Skidoo's I bought had factory reverseables already installed.

Heisenberg

Lifetime Membership
Jan 29, 2012
Northern MN
Ibexx scratchers have a ton of downward pressure and put up a lot of spray. One of the big rental companies has them on all of their sleds, they didn't even have pegs to put them up, down all season long. This to me was a testament to their durability as well as their effectiveness. The ski doo double helix is an good choice as well, lighter weight but not as durable. There is even an SPI brand of the skidoo scratcher that is about $80. Only thing I didn't like about the Ibexx was having to drill a hole in the rail for their stow pegs. I bought some "between the lines" hangers that mount over the rail to use instead.

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Hadnt broke any skidoo ones yet, I pretty much run them down all day but I always forget to put them up before I ride up the deck or trailer, so everytime you put in reverse to back up a bit to align the superclamps the scratchers stab into wood deck, thats probably what eventualy brake one. Lol

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Thanks guys.
Made it to dealer and bought a factory pair today.

"Ice Storm" was out of stock everywhere!
Buy them when u can.
U will see +20° difference or more on chit ice/snow.
On that same chit ice/snow, u can backup with them down.

I even tried it on better snow and it worked.
Been running them since early 2020.
Now, most of my group has them after constantly seeing the benefit.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Ice Storm Reversible's wound up dropping the temps on my 155 Khaos by roughly 30*F cooler than the factory spring scratchers. For some reason my Khaos always ran hotter than other sleds with identical factory scratchers, now I'm consistantly running the coldest temps. Great investment! I'll run the factory scratchers on my 163 until they break and then I'll swap them over to the ISR's too... the 163 always cooled WAY better than the 155, now it's the other way around.

Premium Features