• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

West mountain cascade

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
From Anderson Creek you go up the trail about 5 miles, there is a road that takes off to the left - we call it Ladybug (some old timers call it Ladybird) - follow that up to the top. It is a little tricky if you want to head south to Snowbank from there. Once on top you head southwest, just follow the tracks headed south. You will be on the backside (west side) of the mountain. You wont go far before you get to the bottom of that draw and you will see where everyone rides back up through the trees toward the top. Everyone seems to take a different line and some don't pan out. Anyway, you'll find a way. Once back on top, you continue south (maybe 1/8th mile). You will come into a bowl we call first bowl. From there, you can climb out (to the west) and then continue to south - its a pretty long ride to snowbank. Or, from that first bowl, you can stay on the east face of the mountain and ride to "Rock Lake" there should be plenty of tracks to lead the way. Continue heading south from Rock Lake and at some point, you will have to climb over and get on the west side of the mountain. Would be good if you had someone local show you the way.

FYI - if you do this and the fog rolls in on you and you are on the backside, visibility can drop to near 0. The backside of West Mountain is notorious for this. If that happens to you, get back on the east face because it never seems to get any better if it rolls in.

You can also go in from Smiths Ferry, but I have never done it that way so I can't help.

PM me if you want and I can send a map.

Cheers,
Perk

Premium Features