• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The Brake stop ride, What is the real issue

Speed-Demon

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 25, 2020
AK
Well, I for one would like to thank Burandt and the other innovators of our sport for this awesome, first of its kind update. They teach the practice of “always have your finger on the brake” to be ready for whatever your next move is. No sled is “designed” to let you ride the brake for countless hours and be good to go. The big dog YouTubers who ride like this (Burandt, etc.) are the reason why we are having a computer controlled re flash to take away power when actuating the brake to prevent some dumb a$$ from burning up their sled. Yep, I get it, you gotta ride like this to “pick the right line” or whatever you 1% of expert riders do that no one else seems to have problems with. Maybe you’re one of these guys maybe not, either way, Polaris isn’t going to continue to let anyone abuse their product beyond it’s designed purposes at the risk of more warranty claims in an ever increasing world of recalls, set backs and missed deadlines. Their answer of cutting power is the ONLY way of making sure you can’t ride the brake while on throttle. It’s not that the brake is too tight or needs adjustment. There is nothing wrong with it from a design perspective under NORMAL DRIVING SITUATIONS. If you’re moving and need to stop, it works perfectly. It’s not up to them to develop some new technology to allow a small percentage of riders to ride the brake constantly and abuse their product. I currently have 19, 21, and a 22 rmks. I noticed a difference between the sleds but not so much that I ride one any different. But I’m also one of those guys that doesn’t seem to have a problem riding poos, doos, cats or yamacats. So maybe I’m kind of a 1%er too.
If this “update” affects your riding enjoyment, that’s a bummer. If you have to ride like this to have fun, right on bro, someone will find a way around it and you can still tear it up. But you can’t expect Polaris to continue to let a few bad apples spoil the bunch. (See sleds spontaneously combusting). I can all but guarantee you’ll hear Burandt singing a different tune on the whole “finger on the brake” technique. Which will be as per Polaris’s request. He’ll probably still teach it, as it’s credible for riding the way he does, but be more reserved.

And to follow... I can’t express how grateful I am to have members on this forum who go out of their way to find more immediate solutions to our problems, when it seems like the manufacturers aren’t trying that hard. TRS, Murph and SMF are some of em for us Polaris guys. ?

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Well, I for one would like to thank Burandt and the other innovators of our sport for this awesome, first of its kind update. They teach the practice of “always have your finger on the brake” to be ready for whatever your next move is. No sled is “designed” to let you ride the brake for countless hours and be good to go. The big dog YouTubers who ride like this (Burandt, etc.) are the reason why we are having a computer controlled re flash to take away power when actuating the brake to prevent some dumb a$$ from burning up their sled. Yep, I get it, you gotta ride like this to “pick the right line” or whatever you 1% of expert riders do that no one else seems to have problems with. Maybe you’re one of these guys maybe not, either way, Polaris isn’t going to continue to let anyone abuse their product beyond it’s designed purposes at the risk of more warranty claims in an ever increasing world of recalls, set backs and missed deadlines. Their answer of cutting power is the ONLY way of making sure you can’t ride the brake while on throttle. It’s not that the brake is too tight or needs adjustment. There is nothing wrong with it from a design perspective under NORMAL DRIVING SITUATIONS. If you’re moving and need to stop, it works perfectly. It’s not up to them to develop some new technology to allow a small percentage of riders to ride the brake constantly and abuse their product. I currently have 19, 21, and a 22 rmks. I noticed a difference between the sleds but not so much that I ride one any different. But I’m also one of those guys that doesn’t seem to have a problem riding poos, doos, cats or yamacats. So maybe I’m kind of a 1%er too.
If this “update” affects your riding enjoyment, that’s a bummer. If you have to ride like this to have fun, right on bro, someone will find a way around it and you can still tear it up. But you can’t expect Polaris to continue to let a few bad apples spoil the bunch. (See sleds spontaneously combusting). I can all but guarantee you’ll hear Burandt singing a different tune on the whole “finger on the brake” technique. Which will be as per Polaris’s request. He’ll probably still teach it, as it’s credible for riding the way he does, but be more reserved.

And to follow... I can’t express how grateful I am to have members on this forum who go out of their way to find more immediate solutions to our problems, when it seems like the manufacturers aren’t trying that hard. TRS, Murph and SMF are some of em for us Polaris guys. ?

If you aren't as good as Burandt and you don't ride the brake then why do you gives a rat's ass about the stupid recall. You made no sense at all on this post. You are definitely more towards the bottom on this forum amd not the top 3%. You make fun of people who ride the brake then you go on to cry about the fix. You are just like a ton of the other idiots on Snowest. Everyone bragging about how they don't ride the brake and they never get hot. Then they piss and moan about the fix that really only affects you if you ride the brake like they brag that they don't do. You guys need to figure out what side of the fence you are on. ? This is why I don't take this forum very serious and have fun giving 97% of the people on here a hard time.

I'm going to get out on the snow and ride my 9R before I start crying about the fix like a little bitch. My guess is it won't affect the way I ride at all. We got enough people crying about it on here that haven't ridden a sled with the fix not to mention there is also probably a handful that are crying about it that aren't even getting a 23.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..

I just think an aftermarket tune for anyone who wants to eliminate it is an option.

Guessing most people won’t notice any problems with the reflash.

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
Opened up between Wall and Kadoka this afternoon. Hopefully they get all of 1-90 opened up across the rest of the state so trucks start coming through with sleds on them. This is the Draper exit between Murdo and Presho SD.

1671833692706.png

Griff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I would like Polaris to elaborate on the process of developing this recall. Did the Feds weigh in on this 'fix'?

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
The engineers drive these decisions.

100% disagree. Engineering is no longer allowed to make decisions. They are only blamed and have to bail out. Industrial Engineering, IE beancounters with their time studies and lean manufacturing are linked to Finance and their data and feedback drive all decisions by executives going for promotions and bonuses. Shareholder value is the only thing that matters. The stock price.

zaasman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2019
Yukon
Snip or unplug sensor.

Done.

Jumper if needed.

Looks like a jumper isn't needed. I just checked the brake light switch, it's an open circuit when the brake is released. Unplugging the switch should bypass the whole deal.

I’m only concerned because of how sensitive current brake is. I could see just the smallest amount of ice triggering the thing.

I'm thinking this will be an issue. My brake switch froze up a few times last season, causing the brake light to stay on. Couldn't get it resolved without thawing the sled. Brakes never faltered, wasn't a big deal, but that won't play well with this new update.

If you find yourself in that situation with an updated sled, you should be able to just unplug it. There's a mini inline plug 5" down the wire from the brake lever, convenient for doing this in field.

moab11

Lifetime Membership
Feb 24, 2011
Great White North
100% disagree. Engineering is no longer allowed to make decisions. They are only blamed and have to bail out. Industrial Engineering, IE beancounters with their time studies and lean manufacturing are linked to Finance and their data and feedback drive all decisions by executives going for promotions and bonuses. Shareholder value is the only thing that matters. The stock price.
Agreed, more than likely there is something wrong with the brake system on these sleds, as TRS has started looking at. This "fix" is more than likely the cheapest and fastest way to get sleds on the snow.

Could you imagine the public outrage and negativity towards Polaris if all 22 and 23 RMK's were sidelined for a couple of months or all winter waiting on new parts to be developed/tested/verified? I'll bet there will be updated parts on the 24's and maybe an update kit for the 22's and 23's.

U
Nov 26, 2007
Agreed, more than likely there is something wrong with the brake system on these sleds, as TRS has started looking at. This "fix" is more than likely the cheapest and fastest way to get sleds on the snow.

Could you imagine the public outrage and negativity towards Polaris if all 22 and 23 RMK's were sidelined for a couple of months or all winter waiting on new parts to be developed/tested/verified? I'll bet there will be updated parts on the 24's and maybe an update kit for the 22's and 23's.

100% this ^^^

If it wasn’t 2011 - 2021 sleds would all getting the flash so people couldn’t ride the brakes

P
Dec 15, 2018
Don’t you guys think that it was just bad parts/specs maybe of the master cylinder? Making the engine stop running with what ever they consider excessive brakes is just like many have said , lawyers. On the news locally a Polaris gas tank blew up. Looked like a mess. No one was hurt lol. So maybe they just need to put the finishing touches on them. Price you pay sometimes for all out performance vehicles. Would suck I guess to get blown up on something you loved so much for no good reason but hey nobody said it’d be easy lol.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
If you aren't as good as Burandt and you don't ride the brake then why do you gives a rat's ass about the stupid recall. You made no sense at all on this post. You are definitely more towards the bottom on this forum amd not the top 3%. You make fun of people who ride the brake then you go on to cry about the fix. You are just like a ton of the other idiots on Snowest. Everyone bragging about how they don't ride the brake and they never get hot. Then they piss and moan about the fix that really only affects you if you ride the brake like they brag that they don't do. You guys need to figure out what side of the fence you are on. ? This is why I don't take this forum very serious and have fun giving 97% of the people on here a hard time.

I'm going to get out on the snow and ride my 9R before I start crying about the fix like a little bitch. My guess is it won't affect the way I ride at all. We got enough people crying about it on here that haven't ridden a sled with the fix not to mention there is also probably a handful that are crying about it that aren't even getting a 23.

Chilly laying the groundwork into his not average review 2.0. The new content will lead to new opportunity.

Speed-Demon

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 25, 2020
AK

Ooohhh Chadly you’re soooo f’n cool! Another belittling post from the forum know it all! You got thumbs ups and laughs from 8 whole people on here for keeping it real and being such a cool wise ass! And that’s just this post! Mission accomplished! ?? You need to get over yourself you pretentious douche. If you took the time to actually read what I posted, instead of glossing over it with automatic assumptions, and then blathering on like a f*#kstick, you’d see I didn’t make fun of anyone. I stated that, as far as Polaris is concerned, the brake works perfectly. If the track is moving and you squeeze the brake, it safely stops. That’s all it’s designed to do. Period. And the ONLY reason for the recall was because of riders over working the brake system. Not a faulty part (too long of plunger, grinding the brake lever, new mc, etc) like most people assumed. And that created another service bulletin. And in turn, another reason for sleds to be even further pushed back on delivery. Not because there is a fault with the brake system as they see it. And yea, that’s worth a little bitching. How only a FEW people, that ride these sleds a certain way, is the cause for the new computer control and extended delivery delays. “Finger on the brake” style backcountry riding is directly related. Foolish to think otherwise. Everybody can come up with whatever other reason you think the problem actually is, and you might be right, but Polaris thinks it’s an over use problem. And the fix is to control the sled.

Thanks for the reminder Chadly that there will always be vultures looming on here and you rule them all. Being a part of your fictitious 3% is of no interest to me.

Premium Features