• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SLP Pipe Info for 850

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I talked to SLP today and thought I'd share some information. I forget who I talked to. But he was very informative and helpful.

I was told there will be no single pipe for the 850 for this season! That was disappointing to me because I'm not sure I want to go the route of the twins yet. There is a can available for the 850 now, but I was told it was a "trail" can so the size is not as compact as the "performance" can. He confirmed that the can from my 800 Axys Stage II is the "performance" can.

The twin setup will be available around Xmas or early January. There is already a good thread on the twins HERE. As discussed in the other thread it will require a Bullydog, Dynojet or other fuel controller. It will also require some clutching and venting upgrades. He did confirm that SLP is seeing around a 20HP increase! It will be loud as the cans are glass packs. Price will be close to $2000 with $1000 in the pipes, $400+ fuel controller, $300 clutching, venting and a few other pieces.

I'm a big fan of SLP but I'm bummed about no single and I'm thinking of steering clear of the twin. If they don't know what fuel controller will be used it seems there is some work to still be done. I speculate that the limited run of 850's this year might be a reason we don't see the single. I guess I can't blame SLP on the costs of R&D for a small number of sleds. I'm also disappointed that the smaller can isn't out. Hopefully that will be ready by November.

I also can't help but think that the price of the twins is only about $1300-1500 away from a turbo kit. I know that twins and a turbo are two different animals, but when crunching the numbers you start to wonder.

Hope some of this info helps.

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
I think they usually give you a choice of fuel controllers depending on personal preference. Pretty sure my cousin had a choice of a few when he did his stage 3 kit. And with the cans, judging by social media everybody seems to want the loudest can possible. As ridiculous as the trend is, that's what sells so it makes sense they'd develop that one first.

Edit: I misread the part about the cans. Today they had an Instagram post showing someone welding a competition series can for an 850

Last edited:

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Glass half empty there Andrettidog?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

iluv2fly

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
I talked to SLP today and thought I'd share some information. I forget who I talked to. But he was very informative and helpful.

I was told there will be no single pipe for the 850 for this season! That was disappointing to me because I'm not sure I want to go the route of the twins yet. There is a can available for the 850 now, but I was told it was a "trail" can so the size is not as compact as the "performance" can. He confirmed that the can from my 800 Axys Stage II is the "performance" can.

The twin setup will be available around Xmas or early January. There is already a good thread on the twins HERE. As discussed in the other thread it will require a Bullydog, Dynojet or other fuel controller. It will also require some clutching and venting upgrades. He did confirm that SLP is seeing around a 20HP increase! It will be loud as the cans are glass packs. Price will be close to $2000 with $1000 in the pipes, $400+ fuel controller, $300 clutching, venting and a few other pieces.

I'm a big fan of SLP but I'm bummed about no single and I'm thinking of steering clear of the twin. If they don't know what fuel controller will be used it seems there is some work to still be done. I speculate that the limited run of 850's this year might be a reason we don't see the single. I guess I can't blame SLP on the costs of R&D for a small number of sleds. I'm also disappointed that the smaller can isn't out. Hopefully that will be ready by November.

I also can't help but think that the price of the twins is only about $1300-1500 away from a turbo kit. I know that twins and a turbo are two different animals, but when crunching the numbers you start to wonder.

Yea for that price I would spend the extra and get the mtntk turbo for 3k. To much money for pipes.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Yea for that price I would spend the extra and get the mtntk turbo for 3k. To much money for pipes.

I think you hit the nail on the head. With those prices, obviously one would be looking at a turbo and really weighing the cost benefit.

Snowman.PRO.

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2015
MN

I think the twins would be really cool. But to your point, 1300-1500 away from a turbo that adds real noticeable gains. 20hp from twins is not the same 20hp @ 10,000ft. I'm sure you know that, but just keep that in mind its going to be down 30% from there.
I'm excited to hear how the twins sound though! :rockon:

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Glass half empty there Andrettidog?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

I'm a realist not a pessimist!

I've always been a huge fan of SLP and will continue to be so. My problem is there is no single and I don't want a loud twin. I'm trying to contribute to killing the louder is better culture in sledding. I'm tempted because of the power, but not at the price of being that loud guy.

By the way, I forgot to mention that SLP says the twins are for 6,000 ft or higher riding.

H

Heypal

Nov 26, 2007
Paynesville, MN
Generally twins make big power on top but loose some torque at lower rpms but who knows these days with the exhaust valves maybe they can dial these motors with twins?

We talked to a rep at the SLP booth while at Haydays. That is exactly what he said. The multi stage valves are the key to making the twins work on the 850. Time will tell, but he was very optimistic. Like stated above, he went on to say that a single pipe will not be available until next year at the earliest.

G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2002
Kamloops BC
That's odd, not like the 850 won't be a lineup-wide engine next year... Won't stay limited release beyond this model year.
Heck, I'd be surprised if they didn't do a late season, early 2020 release in mid Feb

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Here is a screenshot.
They aren't tiny glass-packs.
I don't know what is on the inside, but they look to be very similar (but a little smaller) in demension to my Dynoport Barker can on my single. That Dynoport can isn't crisp like the old glass-packs.

attachment.php

SLPScreenshot.JPG

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..

I've always been a huge fan of SLP and will continue to be so. My problem is there is no single and I don't want a loud twin. I'm trying to contribute to killing the louder is better culture in sledding. I'm tempted because of the power, but not at the price of being that loud guy.

By the way, I forgot to mention that SLP says the twins are for 6,000 ft or higher riding.

Aren’t all twin pipes for high elevation?
(I’ve seen a lot of blown motors with twin pipes attached around here.

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
Aren’t all twin pipes for high elevation?

Lots of people run twins at low elevation, a few trail sleds even came stock with twins. I'm guessing the SLP twins would work at low elevation with some extra octane, they are just focusing their R&D at high elevations for now. I'm sure flatlanders with 850s will be testing them this winter.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC

But at the same time you are holding out for a louder can? Or did I read that wrong? Not trying to be a jerk....just haven't heard the difference between the trail and perf. can in the SLP.

IF twins added 20hp NA with a well rounded powerband, that would make for a pretty BA sled.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Lots of people run twins at low elevation, a few trail sleds even came stock with twins. I'm guessing the SLP twins would work at low elevation with some extra octane, they are just focusing their R&D at high elevations for now. I'm sure flatlanders with 850s will be testing them this winter.

I run twins on 2 different machines at 1800-2200ft for years. Need more octane but they work well.

Yep. I was talking aftermarket twins on pump gas.

Only pump gas available in Alaska is 90 octane. (No eth)

Av gas or race gas I suppose but that’s expensive for everyday use and not as readily available.

Factory twin pipes typically have large enough stinger diameters to keep the heat out of the motor.

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
I dont know of many aftermarket twins that will run on pump other than at high altitude.

I run 30% av gas, not too bad.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
But at the same time you are holding out for a louder can? Or did I read that wrong? Not trying to be a jerk....just haven't heard the difference between the trail and perf. can in the SLP.

IF twins added 20hp NA with a well rounded powerband, that would make for a pretty BA sled.

Ha, good point. I see how you are looking at that. I will likely swap out the heavy stock can for a lighter can that will be louder. But the SLP cans have typically been the more quiet cans of aftermarket lightweight cans. You could go HPS or some of these titanium cans and save a ton of weight. But they get loud. So to answer your question, I want to save the weight but just not get too loud.

Premium Features