• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ski Toe adjustment 2010 M8

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
My tie rods do not have enough adjustment to move the ski tips any further apart to attain a little toe out.

I believe there should be 1/8-1/4” toe out as measured 1’ ahead of the ski attachment bolt.

Is there a way to toe out the skis without cutting the tie rods a little shorter?

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
The tie rods are your only toe adjustment, maybe check for loose worn or damaged steering parts. I doesn't seem right that there is not enough adjustment.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I just tightened everything up yesterday. It has a slight toe in. I had just replaced the adjustable post which had broken, with the original post I took off shortly after buying it in 2010.

The adj post broke from stress over 12 years of sledding, not from any single incident.

If the handling is goofy, I will pull off the tie rods and cut them a little shorter to get the proper toe out.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I have to ask u questions.
When adjusting the tierods, did u loosen both jam nuts and spin the shaft or remove the one end from spindle and screw it in (seen it done).

Did u replace the tierods or are they original? If u replaced the tierods, they are too long.
Maybe for a crossfire or HCR?

U can adjust the tierods to get 2" of toeout, I know cause that's how the dealer gave me my 09.. . Great PDI.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Update - I removed both tie rods by removing the outer ball joint bolt and unscrewed the tie rods from inner ball joints.

I backed off the lock nuts until they were snug against the tie rod ends, then threaded each rod onto the inner tie rods until lighty seated.

I Installed the bolt which holds outer tie rod and then tightened the tie rod lock nuts.

The very small amount of movement I gained gave me a slight toe out.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Remember if u cut them, to cut the right hand thread side as it's easier to find right hand thread taps if u need to cut threads.

U could just cut off 1/8". That will gain u a lot of adjustment.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Yes, I agree on that tap.

If I ever cut an end shorter, I will buy a cheap bolt to thread into the rod before I cut it. Then I will carefully cut around the rod and slightly into the bolt. Then I will back the bolt out and the threads should be good.

Premium Features