• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

QD 2 gearing choices

Killer Time Racing

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2008
Lower Michigan
What are the two available ratios ?
What is the Axys/Pro ratio?
If a belt is available what would the QD2 / Pro ratio be ?
6,7,8 drivers do what to the final number ? ( 6:is only 3.5 pitch) 7 has 2 pitch choices and 8e are only in 2013-16 I believe.

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
From my calculations and studies, New QD2 50:22 Pulley ratio 2.7272 with 6 tooth drive axle, on to 2.47:1 Final Drive ratio as per Polaris 2018 AXYS 2.86 pitch 7 tooth Series 6 Stock 42:22 Pulley ratio on to 2.223:1 final drive ratio (my calculation)
2018 AXYS 2.86 pitch 7 tooth Series 6 PRO 44:21 Pulley ratio On to 2.383:1 final drive ratio (my calculation)

If I do some quick calculations with PRO top 50:21 Pulley ratio On to 2.5876:1 final drive ratio (my calculation) this is assuming that you can get a belt to use in this application.
This would be a great final drive ratio for high altitude riding IMHO with the Series 8 - 2.75" track! If some aftermarket manufacturer would come hp with a bolt on QD belt tensioner the problem would solve itself. I don't know it the TKI belt tensioner for the QD to TKI belt conversion would work to tension the QD2 belt with the PRO 21t top pulley.
Just some Self Quarantine thoughts from a Sunday afternoon in Laramie WY.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
From my calculations and studies, New QD2 50:22 Pulley ratio 2.7272 with 6 tooth drive axle, on to 2.47:1 Final Drive ratio as per Polaris 2018 AXYS 2.86 pitch 7 tooth Series 6 Stock 42:22 Pulley ratio on to 2.223:1 final drive ratio (my calculation)
2018 AXYS 2.86 pitch 7 tooth Series 6 PRO 44:21 Pulley ratio On to 2.383:1 final drive ratio (my calculation)

If I do some quick calculations with PRO top 50:21 Pulley ratio On to 2.5876:1 final drive ratio (my calculation) this is assuming that you can get a belt to use in this application.
This would be a great final drive ratio for high altitude riding IMHO with the Series 8 - 2.75" track! If some aftermarket manufacturer would come hp with a bolt on QD belt tensioner the problem would solve itself. I don't know it the TKI belt tensioner for the QD to TKI belt conversion would work to tension the QD2 belt with the PRO 21t top pulley.
Just some Self Quarantine thoughts from a Sunday afternoon in Laramie WY.

I wouldn’t back bend a QD belt personally.

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
If you look at what TKI and Kurts both do , they both use a tensioner with no problems and so that is why I posed this possible approach and you would only be one tooth less in total tooth count so I would think the "backbend " would be very slight. I may still take the step next year and try a 50 t bottom pulley with a QD2 belt which I think is 72 tooth and talk with the folks at TKI first. Could be an inexpensive approach to gearing these sleds down using Poo parts that we already have in hand. Just thinking around the edge of the box!

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Speaking in pulley ratios only (not final drive)

AXYS QD1 1.95
Pro pulleys on axys 2.095
QD 2 2.33

Kurts Polaris original kit 2.095
New offering 2.37

TKI offers a pile of ratios from virtually stock to around 2.52

I personally am a BIG fan of the lower QD2 area ratios. The pro pulleys or kurts original kit was a great bump from stock and produced noticable gains with very little changes in overall sled characteristics. The much lower ratio of the QD2 type gearing does make the sled actually able to hit the top of the affective shift curve on the trail but as far as performance "in snow" and in techincal terrain it makes for a fast hard hitting power and much better belt heat and belt life. You ride the sled in the shift curve instead of always stuck right at engagement.

Im glad to see poo offering this on the new series 8 track as well as the 3" models. The low gearing on the G4 and the cats has been a big performance advantage for techincal riding over the last few years. Obviously polaris has the handling edge but putting power to the snow I feel like they have been leaving a bit on the table on this front.

Killer Time Racing

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2008
Lower Michigan
I usually order chaincases so I can gear up . Is it a typo or is there a 21 top cog available? A 21/42 would come out to 2:0 not where I usually run but I might try it and use a light secondary spring to let it shift out early to limit RPMs .

Can the 21/50 ratio be used if a belt can be made ?

I would have to have a custom gates power chain cut to width though.

But I do like the info this post has brought to one place. Thanks for the help

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
If you look at what TKI and Kurts both do , they both use a tensioner with no problems and so that is why I posed this possible approach and you would only be one tooth less in total tooth count so I would think the "backbend " would be very slight. I may still take the step next year and try a 50 t bottom pulley with a QD2 belt which I think is 72 tooth and talk with the folks at TKI first. Could be an inexpensive approach to gearing these sleds down using Poo parts that we already have in hand. Just thinking around the edge of the box!

Kurt's uses a tensioner?

No. They don't.

The untrained eye would not know the difference between Kurt's Gear Down and Polaris Quick Drive.

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
If you purchase a 2021 with Qd2 I would hope it works. If not, I think I lean towards TKI. They are $700 and the most expensive, but; you can sell your stock parts, you have a tensioner that makes it a lot more service friendly and gives you plenty of teeth-to-belt contact + gearing choices.

Kurts is only $50 less and to go with Qd2 on an older sled you'd be out $420 for new lower sprocket + new longer belt.

Take of Qd2 could be an option, depending on your gearing need and $$$.

Sent fra min S60 via Tapatalk

ENDO1

Premium Member
Apr 6, 2008
Central WA State
I for one would hate to have to go back to the days of packing gas to ride more than 50 miles, just due to the Qd2 , ( Like many of my Doo friends have to ) we will typically ride cross country 50 to 70 miles each time we go, one of our group use to ride a 800 pro with the 3" chain drive he would usually need to bring gas, wondering if the new Qd2 gear ratio would be the same ?

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I for one would hate to have to go back to the days of packing gas to ride more than 50 miles, just due to the Qd2 , ( Like many of my Doo friends have to ) we will typically ride cross country 50 to 70 miles each time we go, one of our group use to ride a 800 pro with the 3" chain drive he would usually need to bring gas, wondering if the new Qd2 gear ratio would be the same ?

Why? Would you plan on riding at above 50 or 60 miles per hour where low gearing might actually start to produce higher RPM's? The cvt clutch is designed to cruise at near the same RPM regardless of gearing. If it doesn't you don't have it clutched properly.

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
Scott, You are correct and I was wrong about Kurts, but if we were to use the tensioner from TKI, you could use the QD2 belt with the 21:50 ratio to get about 2.2.53 or so on the 18/19 AXYS chassis and even slightly lower on the 21 QD2 Chassis with the 6 tooth driver and only slightly back bending the QD2 belt, but I think the diameter of the 6 tooth driver with longer pitch is the same driver diameter as the 18/19 800 with 2.6" series 6 track.
gtwitch in wyoming

ENDO1

Premium Member
Apr 6, 2008
Central WA State
Why? Would you plan on riding at above 50 or 60 miles per hour where low gearing might actually start to produce higher RPM's? The cvt clutch is designed to cruise at near the same RPM regardless of gearing. If it doesn't you don't have it clutched properly.
Not 50 to 60 MPH but 50 to 70 total miles in distance .

ENDO1

Premium Member
Apr 6, 2008
Central WA State
I get that but my point is fuel economy won't change if your belt is running 1/2 way up your primary or 3/4 of the way up the primary. That is all gearing should do at a steady speed, to a point of maxing out.
Oh , I see what you are saying , I was just comparing it to the 3 " chain drive 800 Pro my friend use to have and he did not get anywhere close to what the rest of could get , and would have to pack gas for the longer rides. I think his was around a 12% reduction, so with 10 % reduction of the Qd2 was just wondering if it would be the same , Guess time will tell .

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Oh , I see what you are saying , I was just comparing it to the 3 " chain drive 800 Pro my friend use to have and he did not get anywhere close to what the rest of could get , and would have to pack gas for the longer rides. I think his was around a 12% reduction, so with 10 % reduction of the Qd2 was just wondering if it would be the same , Guess time will tell .

It will be the track that is causing the fuel consumption. Or he was clutched wrong.

Snowman.PRO.

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2015
MN
Just picked up pro gears 21/44 for my axys.. I'm gonna try that, and if I want more gear reduction try to get a used 50T qd2. Use the qd2 belt on my setup since I haev a TKI belt tensioner on my stock QD setup. One would think the only difference being the 21 tooth Top gear that the tensioner would allow the use of the qd2 belt with the 21/50 gears. Either way its great that we have so many good options!

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
As mentioned earlier, I’d be very careful back bending the Polaris qd2 belt with a tensioner. A lot of drive belts are designed to only flex one direction for their intended use and reliability. If you’re going to try, just don't go out with out a spare.

Premium Features