• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Older mh st gearing splined shafts

jtpolaris

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
ND
www.dirtracing17.com
Question if someone can help with a gearing question on an older mh st kit. I picked up some splined shafts for it since i was putting on the double bearings and wondering what gearing I should start with as it's currently the 17/20 and has 8t 2.52 drivers. For the splined shafts I'm not finding much other the 16,17, or 18t gears. Thanks

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Question if someone can help with a gearing question on an older mh st kit. I picked up some splined shafts for it since i was putting on the double bearings and wondering what gearing I should start with as it's currently the 17/20 and has 8t 2.52 drivers. For the splined shafts I'm not finding much other the 16,17, or 18t gears. Thanks
What bike?
What track?

Aggressive rider?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Looking at a 350xcf. It's a 1.75 st track. Will probably be more on the aggressive side. Thanks
Probably buy 2 18 tooth gears and a 16.

Then you can swap them around with a 13 or 14 tooth engine sprocket.

Try 13-18 to 16-18 first then swap to 18-16 if it’s too low geared.

Depending on the year of 350 xcf the first to second gear gap might be good to avoid. (Just start off in 2nd)

First gear will be for loading in the truck/trailer.

E
Dec 19, 2007
I think I've got a 16 and an 18 extra I could sell too. And if you haven't purchased the new style brake rotor you can save some money by just take a hand grinder and cut a quarter inch groove in your new shaft for the key. It doesn't need to be very tight or accurate for the brake

jtpolaris

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
ND
www.dirtracing17.com
I think I've got a 16 and an 18 extra I could sell too. And if you haven't purchased the new style brake rotor you can save some money by just take a hand grinder and cut a quarter inch groove in your new shaft for the key. It doesn't need to be very tight or accurate for the brake

Thanks I would be interested in the 18. On the brake rotor that was my plan to just cut that keyway into the splined shaft as I can throw it on a mill at work for a nice fit.

Premium Features