• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M8 intermittent issues

F
Jan 19, 2020
A few weeks ago I posted that my 2011 m8 would randomly die as though it was out of fuel. Someone recommended that I get a new fuel pump so I bought a used pump (new parts are too expensive for a high school kid) and installed it for several problem free rides. It ran better than it ever has. But the sled started having what seems to be the same issue on the last ride. It died three times and two of those times it started up after a minute but the last time it would not start again until I got it home. I really have no idea now what is wrong. It seems to me that it’s some kind of fuel system issue because it will usually start to rev higher like it’s starving for fuel and kind of skip and cut out and then die. Could it be an electrical short or something like that? Any ideas are a big help. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Maybe you had moisture somewhere which was freezing up something. You probably had the sled in an warmer area during the fuel pump install and it thawed out.

Make sure the sled is completely thawed out, check the TSS for sticking, make sure it has fuel with no water. Check the fuel line routing best you can to see if there are any kinks which may occur when they warm up which is cutting fuel flow. Check tank vent line (cap?) to make sure it is clear and breathing. If sled dies, unscrew cap some and listen for sound of air going into tank.

I would add some isopropyl to fuel in case it has water in the fuel tank.

F
Jan 19, 2020
I have been unable to locate a tank breather hose but the tank has a crack at the filler neck so it’s definitely able to breathe but also leaves a bad place for water to enter the tank. I’ll probably empty the tank and check the lines like you suggested and see what happens. Something else I just realized might be connected to the problem is the digital screen has started working intermittently; could that be connected to my issue? Also, how do you suggest checking the TSS to see if it sticks?

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Something else I just realized might be connected to the problem is the digital screen has started working intermittently;

Sounds like you have a voltage problem.

It's kind of circular because low rpms cause low voltage, and vice versa. Check your stator resistance and the regulator just because that's easy.

F
Jan 19, 2020
Took the sled out again today to see how it ran but it wouldn’t run at all after about five or ten minutes of riding. Still has spark but doesn’t want to start at all. Digital screen still didn’t work but that could be an unrelated problem as there is condensation inside

M
Mar 18, 2011
Manitoba
Look behind the coolant reaivoir for ground wire bolted to steering support bolt, if it breaks it can cause ecu damage. Then unbolt ecu & look underneath for melted jell & capacitors

CB.8

Skidoo hill crew
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
Have you checked the stator. Most weird electrical problems with the m series lead to the stator.

F
Jan 19, 2020
I’m not sure how to check the stator. I did take it out last Saturday to see if I could replicate the issue and check for spark. It died and would not start and still had spark. Sled sat in the shop all week and now it starts and idles like normal. I took apart a few connections and also hooked up a nine volt battery to the fuel pump. Pump seemed to work fine. There was quite a bit of water in the connection to the hood but I don’t know if that would at all cause problems.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I don't know how to test the TSS but have hear plenty of people say that can cause issues.

Water in connections is never a good thing. WD-40 displaces water. Take apart the connections and spray liberally with WD.

How cold was the outside air temp? Could you possibly have water in your fuel?

Were the plugs dry when it wouldn't start? I would think if you have spark and fuel and air, it would run.

F
Jan 19, 2020
I did pull apart the plastic to get to the TSS but it didn’t seem to be sticking at all but then again it could be electrical.

Last time the sled was out it was cold enough to snow but wasn’t super cold; maybe 30 degrees or so. When the sled sat in the shop it was pretty warm so water could be freezing in the lines I suppose and then thawing our when it warms up but it seems to me the the water would mix in with the fuel and get burned out of the system when it was running. I’d like to drain the gas tank and all the lines of fuel but the tank is a lot harder to remove than I expected.

As far as the plugs being wet or dry I’m not sure.

M
Mar 18, 2011
Manitoba
Sorry to bash but do not use wd40 on anything you care about it's horrid crap & freezes. Use dielectric grease in connections. The ground strap is on the bottom bolt of steering hoop reinforcement. Under the coolant bottle, ugly spot. Did you try unhook the throttle freeze up switch? Siphon tank out & look up water removers for in tsnk use.

F
Jan 19, 2020
I unhooked the connection to the hood electronics, the brake light, and all handlebar switches and the sled ran which kind of surprised me. I didn’t think it would run without the kill switch hooked up. I plugged them all back in one by one and it ran fine around the house when it was pretty cold out. I am almost positive it’ll have the same problem tho once I take it out for a real ride.

M
Mar 18, 2011
Manitoba
Do your bar warmers work? Mine both had solders let go, one managed to ground out when my main chassis ground was broken & took out my regulator & ecu. Your hood wiring full of moisture is more than likely your issue

Itsstock

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Woodbury,MN
I had a problem like that a couple years ago. I ended up having two problems at the time. My sled didn't run well at low rpms, then after I rode for a little while the sled would cut out. After a minute or two it would restart and run for a little while. The problem go worse and worse. It would take longer and longer letting it cool down before it would start.
I ended up having bad reeds that lead to the poor running at low speeds. The stator was the culprit for the engine cutting out. Replaced both the reeds and the stator and the sled is running better than it ever did.
I would test your stator, sounds exactly like what mine was doing.

F
Jan 19, 2020
Do your bar warmers work? Mine both had solders let go, one managed to ground out when my main chassis ground was broken & took out my regulator & ecu. Your hood wiring full of moisture is more than likely your issue

I know the wires for the thumb warmer came apart and are loose. I’m sure at least one side of the bars works but the other side seems like it’s not working at all or is weak

F
Jan 19, 2020
I had a problem like that a couple years ago. I ended up having two problems at the time. My sled didn't run well at low rpms, then after I rode for a little while the sled would cut out. After a minute or two it would restart and run for a little while. The problem go worse and worse. It would take longer and longer letting it cool down before it would start.
I ended up having bad reeds that lead to the poor running at low speeds. The stator was the culprit for the engine cutting out. Replaced both the reeds and the stator and the sled is running better than it ever did.
I would test your stator, sounds exactly like what mine was doing.

Sounds very similar. How do you check the stator though?

Premium Features