• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Garmin tread group ride

Turblue

Lifetime Membership
Jun 11, 2004
Alberta
Any updates on this? Thinking of running the garmin tread.

Any experience in general with the unit?

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
I have been looking at one for a couple months now. I like the idea of going from my truck to my SxS to my sled with one single GPS unit and having powered mounts on all 3 along with the Inreach tracking. I just haven't found anyone running it on a sled.

But I'll probably pull the trigger yet this fall and give it a try this season.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Looks like the Tread uses the MURS radio frequency for group ride. I hear it will not work in Canada. MURS is just like FRS and GMRS, so not alot of range in mountains. We use these frequencies (MURS 1, 2, and 3) for ATV riding, and range is the same as FRS & GMRS. Only benefit is that there is hardly ever anyone on these frequencies.

Polaris uses RC-7W ( i think this 2402 to 2480 MHz , which is 2.4 GHz ) for their group ride. This might have more range than the MURS . . . ?

These are 2 completely different frequencies, so the Polaris 7S will not work with the Garmin Tread.

Would be nice if they all "talked" to each other.

If someone has more "frequency intel" - please feel free to chime in. :)

Last edited:
G
Feb 9, 2014
Shuswap
Group ride in Canada uses a tethered phone and requires mobile data. Basically useless outside coverage area, but works well within.
In the USA, the basic model of the tread works the same with a phone. The upgraded model with the 2 way radio uses radio communication as described above. As far as I can tell the head units are the same, the radio hardware is actually part of the mount.
The radio version is not available on the Canadian website, but I suppose it would be possible to get an american model shipped to Canada.

I have 2 seasons with a tread and I'm pretty happy with it. Its not perfect, but would recommend. Coming from a navigation oriented company, there are many useful features if you put in the effort to learn and do the programming. The maps overall aren't nearly as detailed for Canada though. Their tech line is very responsive and helpful. They will literally spend an hour on the phone one-on-one to help with problems.

Premium Features