• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Drill and tap for chaincase oil drain on a viper

R
Oct 17, 2008
Williams Lake B.C.
Picked my Viper up in May and starting to think about some pre-season maintenance and have heard the chaincase doesn't have a drain plug or proper fill plug (fill through reverse servo motor hole) this seems pretty stupid on Yamaha/Cat's part considering the oil sump is attached to the chaincase cover! Anyways has anyone drilled and tapped the case or cover especially for a drain on one of these?

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
Picked my Viper up in May and starting to think about some pre-season maintenance and have heard the chaincase doesn't have a drain plug or proper fill plug (fill through reverse servo motor hole) this seems pretty stupid on Yamaha/Cat's part considering the oil sump is attached to the chaincase cover! Anyways has anyone drilled and tapped the case or cover especially for a drain on one of these?

It was very stupid on their part, but so were a lot of other things about this sled.. either way, here is something I found on how to add oil.

http://www.ty4stroke.com/threads/adding-chain-case-fluid-tutorial-56k-warning.123842/

Premium Features