• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

CRF450R vs CRF450X? New snow biker needs help!

G
Oct 28, 2012
Provo, UT
Hi snow bikers, I'm a first timer-to be. Super stoked to get my kit this winter. I am really killing myself over what bike to put it on though. I ordered the Honda kit, not sure if I can change that, but seems like best priced bikes are Honda and they seem by the reviews to be most well-rounded.

The main factors I'm looking at:

450R
- EFI
- More power

450X
- Headlight
- Electric start

I'm not the most extreme rider and I only weigh 135 so I'm not sure I need the most power, but I will be riding mostly in the mountains so I'm thinking I will want the EFI. I just don't know how big of a deal that will really be--then again I guess I do get out in some pretty deep snow so maybe it will matter.

The main thing is I really don't want to be stuck trying to kick something for hours, so can anyone give me consolation that the EFI is so magical that it will always start regardless of the cold temps? Do you find yourselves having to start your bikes often?

I'm actually getting two kits--thinking of maybe putting one on an X and the other on an R so I can really figure it out after experience.

What do you experienced folks say? X or R?

Revv Up

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2011
Revelstoke BC
www.revvup.net
Myself I'd go with the electric start version, sure is nice when you are in a real awkward position to not have to drag the bike to a place where you can kick start it, especially seeing your weight and the fact you plan to ride somewhat conservatively.

C

Cat Bandit

Mar 4, 2009
i agree, ive been up to about 7thousand feet on my carbed yamaha, and it runs fine. i would however love to have electric start. and being that you are a smaller guy, I think you'll have plenty of power to pull the wider gearing spacing. So enjoy!

Jon Mutiger

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2010
Maple Ridge, BC
Personally, I wouldn't put the X ahead of the R for the very limited amount of electrical output over the R.

The R is a powerful light bike, which in MX form is somewhat delicate.. I wouldn't be endorsing it for long term use personally, yet we did have a guy in our group who wasn't easy on equipment get through a full season problem free on a 450R. The Honda doesn't kick start nearly as easily as the KX450. The KX450 would be my first choice, from 09 to 11. Used or new, they seem to never die.

I'm on a KTM 500 only because I have hip issues and can't kick start like I used to be able to. Now with a new hip, maybe next year I can consider a new bike.

Y

yamaharida111

Oct 19, 2012
Until this summer I had a older 2006 450X for trail riding and would never ever consider putting a timbersled on it. The reason being is that the 450X motor is the terrible mainly because of the homologation put on it nowadays and the amount of money you will have to spend to eliminate engine bogging between gears and to get it even close to perform like any of the manufacturers MX models. Another thing I hated about this bike was how heavy it was (269 lbs) and the lack of maneuverability on single track trails. I only rode the bike a year and half before I went to a yz450f ( and have had three since then) because I spent tons of money ranging from exhaust, 480cc kit, and carburetor mods, suspension revalving, and many more. None of these mods even came close to getting the 450X to perform like my YZs or my dad's KTMs.

I have just recently got into the snowbike scene and I think that being as light as possible is key along with as much power. For almost the same amount of money you could find a good used ktm 450 or 500 with e-start that you would be much more happy with.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Are you just real stuck on Honda?

The 2012 WR with the competition kit installed pulls real well and EFI is sure nice and easy to adjust.

Lights are there no messing with stuff .

Same with the KTM's hard to beat bikes that are already set up with electrics.

Power is not much of a issue with the EFI bikes it is easy to get and tune.

I have 0 experience with the 450X I am of not much help on that end.

Premium Features