• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best friend

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Best of luck Christopher , which one is she in you posted photo of the crew ?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
That’s too bad! How long has she been on the pred for? Is that disease something fixeable, or do they mitigate it and she lives with it?

We’ve been dealing with an auto-immune (DLE lupus) disease with our dog for awhile, and have had a lot of experience with the ins/out of prednisone over the past year. It’s a very effective but somewhat complicated drug in my experience. If it’s a new thing for you/her I might have some useful info
Been on the Pred for 1 week now
And the change has been HUGE
she can open her mouth about 30% of its normal range now
Massive improvement from just one week ago

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
That's awesome! How are the side effects? Was VERY noticeable on mine in the earlier days at a higher dose...tired/weak, got a UTI right away, extreme hunger/thirst, panting, etc, etc. She eventually built up a tolerance and is back to normal, and the dosage is much much less than initially.

The biggest thing with the prednisone is to taper the dose down VERY slowly when it comes time, and not miss doses. If you chop the throttle from a high (or any) dose of pred it can be very unhealthy, or even deadly. The slower you back it off the better, it seems. Our vet did a poor job of explaining that, and it was lucky we read up on it a bunch ourselves.

If they get the squirts from going on/off it, we had really good success with a 2 day diet of plain boiled chicken and plain white rice. Our's also had times of extreme hunger/thirst...like so extreme she may have given herself water poisoning if we didn't limit the water and keep the toilet seats closed. But if the side effects are extreme and showing the dose is too high....you still have to taper off slowly to be safe.

Maybe that's all old news, but just in case not!

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
He's eating home cooking puppy food 3 meals a day up to 12 months and then he'll eat what we eat 3 meals a day. His meals are picked from that book I posted and made in large batches. He also gets plenty of cooked snacks from that book threw out the day.

We have been paying very close attention to his weight for concern of under or over feeding . Paying attention is the easy part but regulating it takes a little bit more attention since this breed is also little piggies .

The amount of energy he has does not go unnoticed busy busy. busy boy . People that he is around and others of his own ilk is commented on or noticed . He doesn't sleep like what I call normal either , he naps and at about 10:00 he shuts down and at times just goes to bed . Shots are as minimal as we could go solo-jec 5, worming meds as a pup, bordetella,rabies, canine da2ppc, administered separately and his doctor agrees and avoid leptospirosis , it does not cover every strain and has caused inflammation . There's that killer word , inflammation.

He weighed in today at 70.4 about 20 pounds heavier than the charts call for at 8 months . His ribs are not hid and we are totally aware of how growing to fast can be detramental and fair amount of exercise is a must without pushing it.

The only conclusion we can come up so far including his doctor is the food . He basically weighs what his Grandfather Hondo , the one before , did as a grown adult.

IMG_20220206_104208683_HDR~2.jpg

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
These days might be coming few and far between , state side Bro was up for some riding . IMG_20220306_144534060_HDR~2.jpg

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
WOW , we're in the break up stage where everything is covered in mud/snow in the towns. Perfect home for that one, amazing dog :)

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
She is a handful if you let her have it her way. Very smart GWP. she will take her Navhda UT test this spring and will probably breed her next winter. She tracks like no other dog I have had.2C78C18D-7878-43AE-9E50-70BDBF5DDC5F.jpeg

Premium Features