• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

bearclaw bob in Cooke city 3

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

trenchking

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
just pulled into the super 8, snowing pretty good from tower junction to town, 6 inches or so on road let it dump! room 109 if any one cares!

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Been out plowing

We'll it another day with SNOW.:cheer2:
We received about 7-8 inches when I woke this morning. Guys are reporting that another good foot fell on the mountain. At this time the sun is out. Great day to ride. :face-icon-small-coo

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Cooke City

In the last 48 hours the Fisher Creek SNOTEL site reported 0.8 inches of snow water equivalent, but there is almost double this amount in places which means 2 feet of new snow. Winds yesterday afternoon were blowing 25-40 mph from the NW and averaging close to 20 mph this morning, perfect speeds for drifting the fresh powder. Yesterday a skier spotted several small avalanches, ski cut one, and experienced cracking in the new snow.

Stability evaluations are relatively simple in this area because the main avalanche problem is new snow and wind-blown snow. The exception is low elevation areas that have weak facets near the ground. In one of these areas 11 days ago a rider remotely triggered an avalanche following heavy snowfall. Today the avalanche danger is rated CONSIDERABLE on wind loaded slopes steeper than 35 degrees. All other slopes have a MODERATE avalanche danger.

Yes we did have a cancellation, so if your still looking for a room, we have it.

Come in and enjoy the great breakfast and don't forget about the PRIME RIB DINNER Saturday night. Call for a reservation.

Have a safe drive out.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
MMMMMM Good

The Prime Rib dinner was excellent. The bakery had a great turn out.:amen:

SNOWMAN REPORT: Started snowing about 6 am, we've picked up about 2 inches in town. Currently, temperatures are in the high teens to low twenties F and winds are blowing 20-30 out the WNW. Temps will not warm much as a cold front moves over the area. Highs today will stay in the twenties F and winds will remain out of the WNW blowing 15-25 mph. Colder air will remain over the area the next few days.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Over the past 24 hours, strong winds from the WNW have produced wind slabs in upper elevation terrain. Slopes below ridgelines or on the lee side of cross loaded terrain features will be likely areas to find wind deposited snow. While I don’t expect wind slabs to break far and wide, they will easily pack enough punch to carry or even burry a skier or rider. Today, human triggered avalanches are likely on wind loaded slopes which have a CONSIDERABLE avalanche danger. Non-wind loaded slopes have a MODERATE avalanche danger.

Every event that groups had, went good. Everyone is having a good time.:face-icon-small-hap

If anyone ever want to put pictures on snowest, come in and I'll try and post them for you. I'm hoping everyone is having a great weekend.

agalen

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2011
Helena, MT
Bob,

Just wanted to thank you and Terry for the great service, great food, and accomodations. Also, the air for the trailer tires yesterday morning was much appreciated!

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Bob, thank you for everything during our trip. Your recoil saved the day for me and our buddy enjoyed your rentals all week long. The bakery was top notch. I'll be trying to get my wife to duplicate those cinnamon buns for weeks.... LOL

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
Thanks to Bearclaw Bob and the Bakery

We had breakfast there and the Prime Rib Dinner. Great food and very accomodating place.

You straightened out a shock for us and gave me an antifreeze jug so we could redneck the front of another sled to keep snow out of it after destroying the bumper and nosecone.

If you are even wondering about it go to Bearclaw Bob's. Great food, very helpful in the shop and he'll take care of you. This is how a service establishment should be run. Taking care of and accommodating the customers.

Many Thanks Bob.

We will definitely be seing you again.

Last edited:
D

duece1

Oct 26, 2008
How about another snow dance Bob?

We will bring down some beers and do up the snow dance with You!!! This place is beat down bad! Resorted to riding the avy areas just for a little un-touced snow! Debating on whether or not to go to TOW or not.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Another Shout Out to Bob.

Breakfasts were Terrific.

Prime Rib Dinner was OUTSTANDING!

And you were there time and time again to help out any SnoWest Member that had a problem.

Most Impressed with your service sir!!

I will absolutely be coming back and will stay at your Super 8 again !!

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
WOW

Terri and I would like to thank everyone that gave us a great comment. Its people like you that keeps us going strong. Thanks :face-icon-small-hap

SNOWMAN REPORT: Since yesterday morning Cooke city received about 2 inches. Temperatures this morning were in the single digits and low teens F. Northerly winds were averaging 5 mph and gusting to 10 mph. Dry air will move over the area this afternoon and allow some sunshine. Temperatures will warm into the high teens F today and winds will remain light. A trace of snow may fall early tomorrow morning. Winds will shift to the W and increase Friday night.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: These avalanches broke on facets in shallow areas or on a thin layer of facets sitting on an ice crust 1-2 feet deep. It is unclear if these recent avalanches are a product of widespread instabilities or a product a lot of people riding in avalanche terrain. Either way, avalanche activity is conclusive evidence of unstable snow and should not be ignored. For this reason, today the avalanche danger is rated CONSIDERABLE on all slopes steeper than 35 degrees and MODERATE on all other terrain.

If your looking for a room at the Super 8, don't forget to tell the when you call in, that you saw it on Sno West.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I"M BACK

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I'm back and posting again. I was gone all last week, and trying to catch up on things now. I did plow Monday morning, we received about 6 inches of snow Sunday. Here is the forecast for up coming weather.

SNOWMAN REPORT:
This morning, under partly cloudy skies, mountain temperatures are 20F with light southwest winds averaging 10-15 mph. The weather station at Lulu Pass outside Cooke City is windier with gusts reading 35 mph. Today a slow moving low pressure system will increase cloud cover and drop temperatures into the teens this evening. Winds will remain light and by tomorrow morning 1-2 inches will fall around Cooke City.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Snow stability assessment is all about gathering information about the area you plan on riding or skiing. Sometimes we get advanced warning the snowpack is unstable through a collapse or whumph; bulls-eye data that slopes are dangerous. In this case digging a snowpit is unnecessary. But most times digging is the only way to ensure these layers are absent or not an issue. Given our three points of concern, triggering avalanches are still possible and the avalanche danger is rated MODERATE.

Went out for a few yesterday and found some great powder. The snow dance has started again for fresh snow. If people would like to help join the dance let me know. :cheer2:

Video goggles have went good again this year. If your looking for a great job of filming your sledding, stop in and check out the quality that the video goggle takes.

Don't forget the special the Super 8 is running on rooms. Make sure you mention that you saw it on SnoWest.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Still dancing

Well guys, not much to report. The town received about 5 inches of snow on Monday the 11th. Haven't had snow since. The temps are getting in the lower 4o's. The temps by the weekend will be cooling down. I'm still doing the snow dance.

Mountain weather: Warm weather is the story today. Temperatures this morning were a few degrees either side of freezing and winds were blowing 10-20 mph from the W and SW. Skies today will have some clouds which hopefully will keep the sun at bay. Mountain temperatures will be in the 40s F with winds continuing at 10-20 mph. Tomorrow a small disturbance and slightly colder temperatures may produce a few snowflakes. A better chance for colder temperatures and snowfall will arrive on Sunday.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Today the dry snow avalanche danger is LOW. The wet snow avalanche danger is MODERATE

I have one 2012 M-8 sno pro 162" left off the rental. If anyone would like to know more about it give me a call. The price is $6,500.00. My other 2013 are sold. The Polaris assault is selling for $6,500.

The bakery is still going strong and putting out great food. Stop in and have either a breakfast burrito or French toast. They are the number one sellers.

We would like to thank everyone for supporting us this year.:cheer2:

R

roni87

Feb 11, 2011
I Falls, MN
april

Last april rooms were like 60 bucks a night without discount I believe. Don't know if they will discount them anymore than that.

Ps. Will be out with a group sun 24th for 5 days, yee haw!

Nov 13, 2008
Didnt realize they were that cheap. Yeah I guess their would be no need for a further discount if we want them to keep the doors open.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Just tell them that you want the wolf watchers special. Two people for 3 nights.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
WEATHER MOVING IN

The snowman is calling for snow and snow showers from this afternoon to Monday. The temps are cooling down. The dance still continues. Its getting to that time of the year that the main street is bare, but all the sides streets still have snow on them. Come out and have a good time.

MOUNTAINS WEATHER: This morning mountain temperatures were near freezing at ridge tops and near 40 degrees F at lower elevations. Winds were blowing 15-20 mph from the WSW and gusting to 35 mph. Today’s exact temperatures will be a factor of cold air pushing south at 10K feet, warm air in places at 5K feet, and a mix of sun and clouds. Overall high temperatures will be in the 40s F. There will be a small chance for some snow or rain. Fortunately cold air will arrive tomorrow followed by snow and even colder air on Sunday.:cheer2:

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Either way, be especially watchful of slopes that receive any amount of rain or direct sunshine. Also, watch out for big cornices which tend to break on their own during warm weather.

Because this is the first major warm-up of the season, the snowpack is experiencing rapid change and dangerous avalanche conditions exist. For this reason the avalanche danger is rated CONSIDERABLE. Wet snow avalanches are especially scary because they act like fast moving slugs of cement.

The riding is still ok, in the mornings its crusty and hard, by mid morning it starts to soften up. But you can still find untouched snow if you look for it.

I know a few of you don't like the Idea that the Super 8 motel puts on a wolf watchers special in the months of April and May (excludes Memorial day) You see this is the months the town dies off and two Motels run specials to bring people in. So if your still wanting to ride and have a good time, that special is for everyone, when you call in, just mention the wolf watchers special and you can save, its for 2 people and staying 3 nights. The price for the special is mentioned above. :face-icon-small-hap

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SNOW

Let me tell you, the dancing paid off. We picked up any where from 10" to 2 feet on the mountain. This is also includes Top of the World. Great riding. It was hard to measure the amount in town, with the wind blowing 30-45 mph. I would say about 5-7 inches.

WEATHER REPORT:Last night four inches of new snow fell in the northern Gallatin Range with 1-2 inches covering the rest of our area. Winds are averaging 20-25 mph out of the west with gusts hitting 50 mph. This morning mountain temperatures are near 10F, but will warm into the upper 20s by this afternoon. Today will be dry and sunny with winds tapering off. There’s no snow expected in the next 24 hours, but we are poised to get moisture later tomorrow. Moisture is code for “it might be rain”.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: For today the avalanche danger is rated MODERATE on all wind-loaded terrain. Slopes without a wind-load have a LOW avalanche danger.

Premium Features