• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha riding struggles

B
Dec 19, 2021
Alberta
I know it’s frustrating figuring out, but if you’re going into it with the mentality that the sleds already got you beat, it’s probably not helping. I’ve been riding for years and it still took quite a few rides to get comfortable on an alpha and relearn how to ride. I’ll admit I too struggled with the mindset that certain maneuvers were gonna be fails before I even attempted them and psyched myself out. I had to get in the mindset of maverick in top gun and learn “don’t think, just do” and it helped a lot.

Just think if you stick with it and learn the alpha, you’ll be that much better off if you switch down the road because you’ll learn some finesse and control techniques that you might not learn on a more planted sled. If you do decide to jump ship, I’d look at a matryx. I don’t trust Polaris at all for reliability, but the matryx rides pretty similar but is more predictable without the quirkiness of the alpha. A skidoo is going to be a whole different ball game.
I’m not buying a Polaris what about 18mc or 19 hardcore or Mc

P
Dec 15, 2018
I rode mine a lot better when I wasn’t trying to ride it lol. I know it’s in there it’s just a matter of time and some fitness would help too! And just so you don’t think iam to big a fruit cake. I rode mine off trail in 2.5-5 feet of fresh snow all off trail all big mountain terrain . Just not that great lol . So iam trying and iam sure others have beginner trouble on other brands. I only formed my opinion cause mine works best when iam totally relaxed and quite with my body which is hard I think cause iam still nervous and every new thing is new! Best line I ever had was when I was so exhausted I couldn’t move to mess it up. Best advice I’ve gotten so far is throttle , look and lean. I like the raise the foot. I started noticing I could move it just by locking out my knee too. I ride pretty good for two hours then it starts going bad then I get stuck lol. All good in the hood!

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I just feel Even in neutral I don’t even feel in much control when I go up any hill that isn’t a straight run up. I just feel if I don’t have perfect foot placement at every second I tip over or loose and edge etc. I feel like I’m betting off selling mine and getting comfortable on a twin rail. I’m at the point now where it’s not really even enjoyable going out and just knowing I’m gonna be fight the sled all day
I can literally sit on the seat and go most places. Obviously not sidehilling through the trees.
A little counter steer, throttle control and some leaning.
All while sitting.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Cuz you’d have a Polaris with a ctecin it….,,

PC, you just nailed it in your last post.
You’re wasting energy pissing off your horse.
Lay off and let him run, you’ll both get further.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
The "laydown" engine layout of the Cat motors makes it prohibitive to put in another chassis that isn't designed for it. Was a lot easier to do random engine swaps back when all the manufacturers used the same basic engine architecture and carbs.

The Alpha does best when it's making it's own track in fresh snow and you are on the throttle at least a little bit. Unless I'm climbing mine works better for me if I'm a little further back. The skid doesn't give any support to help hold a ski up if it breaks through a layer in the snow. Snow that is marginal, crusty, or beat up with old tracks a twin rail is more stable and less work to ride for me.

dw8

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2012
My biggest suggestion would be to hang out in a meadow near your friends. Let them go tear it up for a bit. Go out in the field, in the neutral position and play with the sled. I found I learned a lot and quickly by trying to stay neutral and see how I could balance it at first. Very slow speed but a gentle carve. Keep increasing the carve at the same speed to see where it “flops over”. When you learn that point, you then can use the throttle to help right you. Learning the balance point at slow speeds was huge for me. Helped me to trust the sled without any real consequences.

Don’t try and ride if wrong foot forward unless you’re going slow in the trees and you want breaks. Way to easy to pull it too far over. Balance and let the engine do the work

When I’m climbing, I’m probably about half way back to three quarters I’d guess on the boards most of the time. This helps keep the front light and again you use your feet to help it carve

Just my two cents.
Im about 200 lbs. I think I’m running 60 psi ski, 50 psi front track, 145 rear track. I do have a tunnel bag with 10 pounds of gear/water bottles maybe

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
I’m not buying a Polaris what about 18mc or 19 hardcore or Mc
I don’t blame you, some people just like to buy new is why I suggested it. If you get to the point you’re set on going twin rail, you could probably post an add and get someone on a 18-19 to swap tracks, suspension and drive shaft.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Foot placement is huge, as mentioned, and I also agree about working more from the neutral position first. Even on my older sled, I find staying neutral makes the sled much more controllable on edge - at least in mellow terrain and if the snow is deep enough. You might want to pick and choose though. The other day, there were lots of spots where it just wasn't worth getting on edge (it wasn't deep in most places, I was riding the old sled, and my back was hurting to boot), so I rode more old-school until I found spots I felt like playing in. The Pro is easier to sidehill and all, but even on that, in the more flat, tracked up areas, I go back to hopping on the uphill side and steering to get around. YMMV, but I find I just work myself to death if I try to carve every turn and fight for it when the snow isn't great.

I'd also agree that the monorail probably isn't making life worse for you in most situations. I'm still adjusting how I ride, trying different things, and it's a lot of trial and error between sled setup, foot placement, throttle control, steering - on and on. If you can try out a few other sleds (ideally for more than a few short rips around), you'll probably find you like this or that about them, but it's pretty unlikely it'll all suddenly click by finding the right sled. Definitely try, and don't be afraid to switch, but don't expect any sled to work miracles for you. I'm still learning - starting to gain confidence in some area, still looking for it in others - and even between upgrading sleds, hopping on friends' sleds or a rental, it's mostly been a slow process of seeing how this or that adjustment to the sled or my riding works or doesn't work. So keep trying until something works; might be the next ride out, or might not be until next year, but it is a good feeling when you hit it!

B
Dec 19, 2021
Alberta
Foot placement is huge, as mentioned, and I also agree about working more from the neutral position first. Even on my older sled, I find staying neutral makes the sled much more controllable on edge - at least in mellow terrain and if the snow is deep enough. You might want to pick and choose though. The other day, there were lots of spots where it just wasn't worth getting on edge (it wasn't deep in most places, I was riding the old sled, and my back was hurting to boot), so I rode more old-school until I found spots I felt like playing in. The Pro is easier to sidehill and all, but even on that, in the more flat, tracked up areas, I go back to hopping on the uphill side and steering to get around. YMMV, but I find I just work myself to death if I try to carve every turn and fight for it when the snow isn't great.

I'd also agree that the monorail probably isn't making life worse for you in most situations. I'm still adjusting how I ride, trying different things, and it's a lot of trial and error between sled setup, foot placement, throttle control, steering - on and on. If you can try out a few other sleds (ideally for more than a few short rips around), you'll probably find you like this or that about them, but it's pretty unlikely it'll all suddenly click by finding the right sled. Definitely try, and don't be afraid to switch, but don't expect any sled to work miracles for you. I'm still learning - starting to gain confidence in some area, still looking for it in others - and even between upgrading sleds, hopping on friends' sleds or a rental, it's mostly been a slow process of seeing how this or that adjustment to the sled or my riding works or doesn't work. So keep trying until something works; might be the next ride out, or might not be until next year, but it is a good feeling when you hit it!
What you ride alpha too?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Get out there in a meadow and sit on the seat. Try doing all the maneuvers while seated.
Hook ur toes in the foot well and lean, using ur toes to lift/hold ur body on to the sled.

Learn the balance points, then try the same maneuvers standing.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
What you ride alpha too?
Nope, but although they ride different, it's all the same principles. You could learn on the oldest, crappiest sled imaginable (if it had enough power and track, at least), and the skills would transfer to a brand new sled - once you stopped overriding it, anyway.

I’m big enough if I wrong foot forward on an alpha we’re both going down hard.

I'm not sure if it'd be the same on an Alpha, but I feel like I need wrong foot forward more than bigger guys. Like I said, I feel more in control when I'm neutral, but with a steeper slope, on the right side especially, I get thrown off edge more easily when I'm neutral.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
im gonna try my alpha a few more rides it think
When you are adjusting your shocks make sure to do it with no load and a lot of folks write down the psi to keep track of the changes. Also when you are getting to the final adjustments a couple psi can make a difference. Another suggestion would be to rent a different brand of sled (or a Catalyst) to try before you sell might save you some money and frustrations.

Last edited:
W

wasatchcomm

Aug 17, 2009
Pinedale wy.
2020 Alpha 165
my take
less input is required to do same on previous platform, got back into sledding this year, bought a 2014 pro climb and a 2018 pro climb rode both same day sold the 2014 the next day. its not even close,, then I bought a alpha to replace the 14,, night and day,,im fairly aggressive rider, and ive been out on the alpha 5 times now,, I still find myself over riding it,, remind myself to calm down, and be less aggressive , like others have stated, simple input it will do what you want.
wash outs are caused by riders, throttle control and rider position,, it will wash much easier, but if you are soft on the controls and feet, crossing tracks or hard pack on sidehill is still relatively easy in my opinion,,
in deep powder, I dont know what to say,, alpha goes anywhere I want,,, easily too
IMO Alpha is easiest sled ive ever rode.
my last comment is,,
if you are not looking where you want to go,,,, or watching the front end dive ,,,or the birds fly over,,, or your buddies,, good luck on any sled.. you need to be laser focused on looking where you want to go,, the sled will follow.
I have to remind myself with this as well,, keep your eyes forward, laser focused on where you want to go,,,
Alpha will follow....

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
Get out there in a meadow and sit on the seat. Try doing all the maneuvers while seated.
Hook ur toes in the foot well and lean, using ur toes to lift/hold ur body on to the sled.

Learn the balance points, then try the same maneuvers standing.

Yep, good advise. You can actually do more on an Alpha sitting down as opposed to other sleds in the seated position.

P
Dec 15, 2018
When it’s deep it’s a blast to ride like a jet ski lol but when it’s variable it’s a bit harder as A new guy. Just looked at the ice age site. Any truth to their claims of improved handling and light steering lol.

Premium Features