• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Albany Parking Fee

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Ok, I haven't kept up on this. It sounds like they are implementing the fee plan on Jan 1 and the cost is $30.

Questions:

1 - Is it $30 per vehicle for the season or is it $30 per sled or $30 per person (whether they ride or not)?

2 - Is the season pass good till Dec 31, 2007?

3 - What is the daily rate & is it per vehicle, per sled or per person?

4 - Is it a sticker, hang tag or a wallet type permit?

Thanks.

Jim

D

dragon12

Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
#1 $30 per vehicle
#2 I think Dec 31, 2008
#3 I think $5 per vehicle
#4 Plastic mirror tag. Not assigned to any vehicle, so you can move it around.

I was also told the fee is for all parking areas, not just Albany. This is what we were told when we bought our passes last week.

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
dragon12;45511I was also told the fee is for all parking areas said:
Correct. There is a whole list of places it covers. I don't know which areas for sure.

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
does this apply to all snowy parking lots, what are the fees and rules, is there a place to call and get info? or e-mail me a link to toddgrenier@cox.net

Currently I believe it only applies to the albany parking lot.
Greenrock will not change as the county will still be doing the plowing up to the turn around.

The reason they started charging fees for parking is because the county doesn't plow the lot at albany, the FS does. They also want to do some improvments to the lot so they are charging a fee to pay for it as well as upkeep.

They are looking at a new lot at greenrock (exact location is still being debated), once they get a new lot they will be charging fees at greenrock. They will also be expanding the parking at chains end and doing some improvments at Ryans park. Once these are done I would expect a fee to be charged at those sites also.

You can call the local FS station and they can give you any details you would like. There was a lot of info back in May about it. We had a few meetings with the FS over what was going on. We are trying to get them to build the lot just up from Snowy Mountain Lodge and large enough to accomodate current as well as project use.

L
Dec 11, 2007
Laramie, WY
parking

The parking pass covers all parking in the area, Albany, Ticks, Greenrock is listed in the pamphlet but it's not covering that lot until they have a parking area up there, and all summer parking areas are included because you will have to have a pass for those come this summer. You HAVE to have the parking ticket in your vehicle and hanging from the mirror. Be careful not to let the wind blow it out of your vehicle or drop on the ground and disappear in the snow because there is no oops factor, if you loose it you buy another one.

S

sleddinhusker

Nov 26, 2007
Arnold, NE
apsserver.arnold.k12.ne.us
Here is part of the pamphlet they gave us at the fly store in Laramie. Hope it scanned well enough to read.

dayuse.png

C

crazy 800

Jan 5, 2002
camping at the albany parking lot

Can we still park at albany and stay in rv's: at the albany parking lot for the 30$ annual day use pass. :mad:

Last edited:

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
Can we still park at albany and stay in rv's: at the albany parking lot for the 30$ annual day use pass. :mad:

I don't know about camping, but I asked the FS about overnight parking for those that own land/cabins, and they said that they understood that they would have to be flexible. I'm sure that they understand that everyone that is staying at the Albany Lodge is also parking in that lot.....

Just speculating but, the one thing that I do not think they will allow is the camper that was left up there all last winter - I would imagine that is something they will frown on now?

C

crazy 800

Jan 5, 2002
I don't know about camping, but I asked the FS about overnight parking for those that own land/cabins, and they said that they understood that they would have to be flexible. I'm sure that they understand that everyone that is staying at the Albany Lodge is also parking in that lot.....

Just speculating but, the one thing that I do not think they will allow is the camper that was left up there all last winter - I would imagine that is something they will frown on now?

I am not talking about parking a camper all winter I am asking if I can park my RV and camp in the albany parking lot for 2 to 14 days . I have been staying at this parking lot for 20+ years in my RV for 2 to 14 days just depending on my vacation time I deside to take. From what i understand there is no overnight camping this is a day use parking lot not a camping lot. I know there are lots of snowmobilers that stay in the albany parking lot in a RV or camper trailer for 1 to 14 days if this is the case then the FS needs to open up and plow a camping lot for all of us to stay in. Just because we have a RV or camper to stay in does not give the FS the right to tell us we can not camp in the winter time {ARE TAX DOLLARS AT WORK} this is a place to explorer and have fun at winter or summer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
Call the FS office and ask to speak to Frank Romero - he is the chief. I only asked about what I was interested in (overnight parking for trucks/trailers) and got the answer that I wanted.

Last edited:
L
Dec 11, 2007
Laramie, WY
I was told Frank resigned his position when I called, and they directed me to the park ranger, who I didn't talk to because I figured he'd tell me the same thing the FS front desk told me, which is NO overnite parking allowed, and with the reference to a friend's cabin that I spend time at during the winter months and have to park in one of the lots, if I received a parking ticket, I was to bring it in to the forest service and they would go from there. I would assume that they would let you park in the lot if you were staying at a cabin, but to park in the lot with an RV or camper would not be permitted because it's a parking lot, not a camping spot. Just my take on the situation, could be very wrong but that's the feeling I got from the FS when I chatted with them and purchased my parking ticket.

Albany Mountain

Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
Albany, Wyoming
I am not talking about parking a camper all winter I am asking if I can park my RV and camp in the albany parking lot for 2 to 14 days . I have been staying at this parking lot for 20+ years in my RV for 2 to 14 days just depending on my vacation time I deside to take. From what i understand there is no overnight camping this is a day use parking lot not a camping lot. I know there are lots of snowmobilers that stay in the albany parking lot in a RV or camper trailer for 1 to 14 days if this is the case then the FS needs to open up and plow a camping lot for all of us to stay in. Just because we have a RV or camper to stay in does not give the FS the right to tell us we can not camp in the winter time {ARE TAX DOLLARS AT WORK} this is a place to explorer and have fun at winter or summer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lets stay real here.
1. This is a winter sports parking area and not a campground.
2. There is nothing posted about overnight parking (that you can or can't).
3. This will be a fee area for $5 day or you can use a $30 pass.
4. Many have stayed in their RV's for days in the past and probably will continue to do so because they are self contained and the impact is little.
5. The fees are going to be used for maintenance of the lot which the forest service is going to take care off via a private (but local to Albany) contractor.
6. This area is continuing to see increasing impact and use from parking from users.
7. If one wants "the FS to open up and plow a camping lot for all of us to stay in", I would expect these campers to get ready to dig deep in their wallets to pay for federally approved campgrounds built by a Gov't agency that is not reknown for effective or efficient building techiques.
8. This lot is managed for parking. Many are utilizing it for extended camping while a few impact it further (trash, campfires in roadways, leaving trailers through the week etc). Those that chose to make it into a campground will risk paying more should the impacts prove to be additional cost (to all). In other words, park for 5 bucks which is going to be the minimum charge. Camp and take up two parking places will be more impact than the minimum was expected to cover.

Other that possibly a personal opinion in #7 & #8 (that could be at least 80% right) the rest are facts as I know them. I would hope the seasonal parking of campers are over and that the users "use wisely" and are considerate of others.

"{ARE TAX DOLLARS AT WORK}" ask me sometime on my personal opinion and experience of the bicycle trail for a real horror story on Your Tax Dollars at Work.

my $.02 worth
KL

Premium Features