• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

5 Mountain rides in, pros and cons

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
had 700 miles on the adapt i put on my 18 mt cat. so buttery smooth and much more rebuildable than the older clutches and easier to do when you do.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
I have 800 miles on my adapt primary, no issues at all and I like how it feels. I wouldn't change it
Might wanna take a close look at primary roller bushings if you haven’t yet. One of mine was toast by 600 miles, sounds like a pretty common occurrence.

P
Dec 15, 2018
Seems you can see the power loss in this video but to be honest it’s easy to be a arm chair quarterback and even easier to watch Keith Curtis or burandt and think that’s normal lol. Point iam making is I personally can’t ride as good as this guy so it’s pretty impressive. To be the devils advocate, I don’t like the exhaust note. Just me

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Seems you can see the power loss in this video but to be honest it’s easy to be a arm chair quarterback and even easier to watch Keith Curtis or burandt and think that’s normal lol. Point iam making is I personally can’t ride as good as this guy so it’s pretty impressive. To be the devils advocate, I don’t like the exhaust note. Just me

One thing that video taught me was buy electric start!!!!!!

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
One thing that video taught me was buy electric start!!!!!!
I haven’t watched that video yet, but my current alpha is e-start. I don’t think I could ever go back to pull start. It was a surprise how much less energy you use throughout the day not pulling the rope all day, not to mention how much better my shoulders feel the next day.

P
Dec 15, 2018
On the new snowest podcast a artic cat rider leaked a twin rail. That should make you hardcores happy! Didn’t realize too the 858 was 3kbs lighter than the 600 and allmost a inch lower in the chassis. Guy being interviewed said it was really nice. You can order them now? Anyone have prices?

C
Oct 26, 2023
Washington
On the new snowest podcast a artic cat rider leaked a twin rail. That should make you hardcores happy! Didn’t realize too the 858 was 3kbs lighter than the 600 and allmost a inch lower in the chassis. Guy being interviewed said it was really nice. You can order them now? Anyone have prices?
Pricing and snow check I think should be out on January 30th. Also did sound like a twin rail was in the works. I'd still be happy with the alpha rail because from what I am hearing is it works 10 times better in the catalyst chassis then it ever did in the ascender. The track for 2024 was also changed and I believe they made it stronger in certain ways, so that also makes me happy to hear.

Also during that podcast Dave McClure did say that the 858 is an arm ripper lol, he said it has awesome power all the way through the rpm range and its torquey and snappy. Granted he's a cat ambassador so he can't really say anything horrible but he did sound excited about the 858. They had him on the phone during the podcast and he said all this about 20 minutes after he got done riding the new 858, so it was all still fresh.

tenacious84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 19, 2010
The 858 is lighter than the 800, not the 600. Arctic Cat has had it posted on their website that way since the engine was first announced. However, during the presentation to the media the day before hay days and during the presentation at hay days, the guy doing the presenting got overzealous and mis-stated that it was lighter than the 600 and they have never formally corrected the narrative. If you look at post #6 below, you will see what I mean.

C
Oct 26, 2023
Washington
The 858 is lighter than the 800, not the 600. Arctic Cat has had it posted on their website that way since the engine was first announced. However, during the presentation to the media the day before hay days and during the presentation at hay days, the guy doing the presenting got overzealous and mis-stated that it was lighter than the 600 and they have never formally corrected the narrative. If you look at post #6 below, you will see what I mean.

Yes the website states 4% lighter than the 800 cc but Troy Halvorson and Andy Beavis have both said that the 858 is lighter than the 600, as well as multiple other people from Arctic Cat. They have multiple misleading things on their website right now like the fuel capacity being labeled wrong. So who knows who to trust more. Only way to see is when they weigh the 858. I'm pretty sure during the podcast with Snowest when they had Troy and Andy on they made sure to confirm that it was the 600, it has been a little bit since I watched that podcast but I'm pretty certain it was double confirmed from those guys.

P
Dec 15, 2018
Y ah it was just in yesterday and the guys in island park who do the r&d where talking about it. But of course it’s just the internet. I was surprised he said anything about a twin rail though because I bet corporate’s counting beans first lol. So can we order one now?

tenacious84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 19, 2010
The guys who test ride for cat are still saying it’s lighter than the 600 in the latest snowest podcast.
I know. He also said he's not an engine guy and doesn't know the details of the new exhaust valve system. He is simply repeating what was said at Hay Days. There is physically no way you can have a larger crankshaft, larger piston, larger cylinder, larger cylinder head of the 858 when compared to the 600 and have the 858 weigh less. They are still made out of the same materials. It's not like they created some new material that is lighter than air.

I have no doubt the overall 858 vehicle is lighter than a comparable 600 vehicle as the 858 doesn't have the extra mounting pieces for the engine and will have a different exhaust system where they could save some weight too. But when speaking of the engine itself, there is no way the 858 is lighter than the 600.

Super 8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2012

For what it's worth, the 858 motor is mentioned to be 3 lbs lighter than the 600 motor a few times in this video starting at the 12:45 mark and again later.

tenacious84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 19, 2010
For what it's worth, the 858 motor is mentioned to be 3 lbs lighter than the 600 motor a few times in this video starting at the 12:45 mark and again later.

Ya, I know. I also explained in my previous post why he is incorrect and repeating the company line that no AC representative cares to correct despite their printed information.

Last edited:
P
Dec 15, 2018
What .030 over cylinder wall weigh? Just saying there’s a definite way it COULD be but I never know with snowmobiles. They are the only thing going you got to guess about. I did see a ibex video of a 600 in deep deep snow and even if it isn’t a na850 or a 858 or a doo or polaris, it sounds freaking awsome lol! So one more time-can we order them now?

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
I wouldn’t say it’s impossible for a bigger engine to weigh less, the 600 uses the 800 crank so there’s no weight savings there for the 600 in the heaviest piece in the engine. Plus they have stated they’ve done away with a lot of parts in the 858 compared to the older engines plus shrunk the distance from crank to reeds which also removes material. I’m not saying it’s true or not, no one will know until they actually weigh them side by side, but it’s not impossible.

P
Dec 15, 2018
My 600 seems really light compared to my 21 hardcore and seems half the size lol but it’s not just the way it looks and feels I think. So sticking a 850 in there is going to be for real. I bet it will perform as well as the others ! I’ll call my dealer today and ask when you can put your money do n

Premium Features