• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 M8 firing on one cylinder?

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
Recently my sled has developed a hiccup. It will run fine for some time and then just drop a cylinder. If I keep riding, sometimes it will clear out and start running again but then just looses the cylinder shortly after. It is dropping the PTO side cylinder and it is getting spark. So I figure either electrical or injector related. I have checked the connections and the ground and all look good. Anyone else have something similar happen?

T

Turd Boy

Jan 26, 2010
Sask.
I had the same problem on an '11 crossfire 800, dealer replaced the stator under warranty and the didn't fix the problem, I got so pissed off towing that sled home so many times I traded it in and they still havent figured it out.

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
Not really what I was wanting to hear there. What else has the dealer done? Do you know? No one else has any ideas?

S

stompit

Feb 29, 2008
Same Issue

Mine is doing the same thing (PTO side too). I am told possible failed reed. I am running a turbo and they are supposed to be subject to shorter reed life. Going to tear down tonight and will let you know.
Anyone else hear of the reed causing this?

Bill1010630

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2007
British Columbia
You should probably do a compression check first, but it's most likely to be a reed issue, pull them out and inspect. Have a look at the V Force 3 reeds, all plastic body and no screws to fall out.

S

stompit

Feb 29, 2008
Reeds

Pulled throttle bodies out and found 3 broken pedals on the one side. Definitely the culprit.

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
Thanks guys. I got to the reed and found two broken pedals. I havn't rode it yet but hoping that was my issue.

S
Mar 23, 2009
Thanks guys had the same problem on my 2010 m8 only running on right cylinder and on the left one some times and same problem reeds left on side had a big chunk gone and two small peaces right side four tips where chipping off
Bang on guys thanks

C
Feb 26, 2022
Michigan
Thanks guys. I got to the reed and found two broken pedals. I havn't rode it yet but hoping that was my issue.
Did you ever solve this issue? Was it the reeds? My dads 2014 M8000 is doing the same thing. Runs perfect for a while then drops the pto side cylinder. Still has spark when we check it but the plugs are wet like they’ve been getting flooded with fuel. Sometimes it comes back out of it and runs good again. Don’t know if it’s electrical or fuel related.

B

BradM8

Aug 4, 2012
Another thing to do is check sparkplug wires and caps. I was chasing mine running boggy and weak, and finally running on one cylinder one day. Ended up being the sparkplug cap connector was worn right out and barley making contact on the plugs.

K
Nov 30, 2008
Reno, NV
Years ago, had the same issue on my 09 M8 intermittently running on one cylinder like you described. Ended up being the fuel injector wire on PTO side had rubbed bare because of the heat shield around the Y-Pipe. Need to make sure sure that it is positioned (bent) so it isn't making contact.

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
Did you ever solve this issue? Was it the reeds? My dads 2014 M8000 is doing the same thing. Runs perfect for a while then drops the pto side cylinder. Still has spark when we check it but the plugs are wet like they’ve been getting flooded with fuel. Sometimes it comes back out of it and runs good again. Don’t know if it’s electrical or fuel related.
That was a long time ago but yes new reeds solved my problem that time.

Premium Features