• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2009-2011 Diamond Drive Bearing Failure

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
J
Dec 1, 2007
wyoming
I am going to print off this entire thread and take it to the mechanic at Waldron's A/C. I suggest everyone else does the same as well before you replace. Still time B4 winter. If enough of us draw it to Cat's attention, they ought to replace this bearing with the upgraded one. It's either that or they can replace my entire DD under warranty after I tow the POS out of the woods and go toe to toe with the dealer then. I do not like being the damn guinnea pig for manufacturers. That sh*t ain't right. Good luck everyone. Wish for snow.

i fully agree does bdx make the diamond drive or does cat. If its bdx they are letting us down and cat by making unproven stuff for us to test its bs

sledstormed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Idaho
Has anyone else had trouble installing the double row bearing in a 2010. I regeared my 2010 HRC last night and couldn't get the case closed with the double row bearing. The stock bearing seems to ride down further on the gear. I had to go with the stock bearing/spacer for now, hope it holds up......

K
Nov 10, 2008
B.C.
I don't know forsure but i think you are supposed to remove the spacer for the bearing to fit, also i was told that the bearing was being replace with the m7 bearing if that makes sense, i know that bdx has the bearing but is it by chance the same bearing that was used on the m7?

sledstormed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Idaho
I don't know forsure but i think you are supposed to remove the spacer for the bearing to fit, also i was told that the bearing was being replace with the m7 bearing if that makes sense, i know that bdx has the bearing but is it by chance the same bearing that was used on the m7?

No spacer, just the double row from BDX. I pressed them on and off twice to make sure they were completely on the gear. I think the double row is a bit wider than the 2010 spacer/bearing.... but don't know for sure..

144ProX2

Dec 1, 2007
So what is the smartest thing to do now.... my sled has this problem also. Do I take it in to have them replace the bearing with the same thing, or do I just replace it myself with the double wide??? Kinda defeats the purpose of a warrenty....

RickM

Premium Member
May 25, 2006
Central Wyoming
144ProX2

I read your post and felt the same way when I found my bearing problem last may. I am 130 miles from my dealer. I decided to replace the bearing with the double row at my expense rather than travel the 130 miles, leave sled and have to go back later to pick it up. If I would have had any gears or any major damage I would have made them warranty it. I just could not justify the trip for the price of the bearing and oil. Warranties are ok, but it always seems like its a pain in the rear to ever get to use them. Hope this makes you feel at ease with your decision which ever way you go.

E
Sep 5, 2008
Canada
I pulled mine apart a couple days ago. Everything was fine. Bearing looked like new.But I replaced it with the stock cat gear $15 canadian. The bearing I pulled out felt slightly tighter than the new one. I think I'm going to change it out every few hundred miles. Piece of cake to do yourself.

longrider

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
peace river ab. can.
bearing failure

:confused:I would assume that if a few of you are changing out the failed bearing your selves, there would be many other people having failed bearings changed out under warranty. Hopefully there is a service bulletin for this issue.But it doesn't sound good if the 2010 machines are still being made with the inferior bearing. I will check this out at my local dealer. They are trying to locate a 2010 HCR for me this morning.:D

Tempest

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Twin Falls, Idaho
I checked with my Cat dealer yesterday and we called Cat Headquarters. The 09 bearing is being replaced by the new 2010 bearing. The old bearing is no longer available, just the wide bearing.

sledstormed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Idaho
My 2010 HRC still has the thin bearing with the spacer. I tried to install the double row on it and the cases wouldn't close tightly. It appears the "new" bearing (black vs. orange side seals) is recessed on the gear about 1mm which makes the double row too thick.. Maybe this new black colored 2010 bearing will hold up... I sure hope so..

144ProX2

Dec 1, 2007
So sealed or unsealed? Thats two different answers.... unsealed does make sense.....

Thanks

RickM

Premium Member
May 25, 2006
Central Wyoming
sealed or un sealed bearing ?

With an un sealed bearing you are relying on oil to run down the case or splash some how on the bearing. There is no real way to get lube to the unsealed bearing up that high in the case.
With sealed bearing, your relying on the side seals of the bearing to keep the lube in the bearing. The bearing failure of the single row bearing and the fact that the side seals come apart causes the failure we have all seen. Just my 2 cents. rick

Premium Features