• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 m8, bad switch at throttle? sled wont start

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
hi guys, so as title says, sled wont start, its been giving me troubles... and now wont start, basically playing around i see that when i open the throttle up, and i have spark, when i close my throttle or let the thumb go back to the "closed" position and you hear that CLICK from the little switch, sled has no spark..... thus it obviously wont spark,

so it appears to be that, that indeed is my problem on why the sled wont start....

anybody else have this issue before or is it heard of? WHAT does the switch do? whats it for, and can i replace it? or what is the fix?

Thanks! :yo:

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
My 09 m1000 had issues like this

so what I did was take the throttle apart, and inserted a small screw in the switch to disable it. after doing so, never had a problem again

SaberKitty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2006
Foothills of Grosse Gelb
hi guys, so as title says, sled wont start, its been giving me troubles... and now wont start, basically playing around i see that when i open the throttle up, and i have spark, when i close my throttle or let the thumb go back to the "closed" position and you hear that CLICK from the little switch, sled has no spark..... thus it obviously wont spark,

so it appears to be that, that indeed is my problem on why the sled wont start....

anybody else have this issue before or is it heard of? WHAT does the switch do? whats it for, and can i replace it? or what is the fix?

Thanks! :yo:

Sounds to me like you need to adjust the freeplay in the throttle cable and it should cure the throttle safety switch issue.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Sounds to me like you need to adjust the freeplay in the throttle cable and it should cure the throttle safety switch issue.

hmm i dont feel any free play in it though, but who knows, ill look at that though, and if theres not any free play? what would be the fix?,

i mean cheap fix is obviously to disconnect the switch, could explain also why the sleds been running like crap, we put a bigbore on it and its got more power but doesnt want to pull rpm good, acting like its still a 800 practically, not requiring anymore fuel.... hmm...,

so yeah reading on that switch it appears others that had issues with motors running weird...., that it turned out to be it and disconnecting it has resolved that?

i checked the cable and there certainly was some slop, a few mm's worth anyways, enough that i could move the thumb abit before it moved, so i assume that would of been the issue?

Last edited:

Team Pigeon

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2006
Pass Creek, BC.
freeplay is key and seems to be your problem. unplugging it is removing an important safety feature. FOR example. your teather is around your handlebars. it's cold. it's snowing. you've been sledding 4 days straight without thawing your sled out. you get bucked off, your cable is frozen. your sled attains maximum velocity and will find the only tree standing in Saskatchewan wheat field. The TSS prevents this because your sled is smarter than a 4th grader.

behind the flipper are a couple little nubbies. there should be enough slop to fit in two credit cards at each nubbie.
Adjust this under the heat plate- the end of the throttle cable. You then might have to adjust your idle which is done at the throttle bodies. you have to go back and forth between the two.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
freeplay is key and seems to be your problem. unplugging it is removing an important safety feature. FOR example. your teather is around your handlebars. it's cold. it's snowing. you've been sledding 4 days straight without thawing your sled out. you get bucked off, your cable is frozen. your sled attains maximum velocity and will find the only tree standing in Saskatchewan wheat field. The TSS prevents this because your sled is smarter than a 4th grader.

behind the flipper are a couple little nubbies. there should be enough slop to fit in two credit cards at each nubbie.
Adjust this under the heat plate- the end of the throttle cable. You then might have to adjust your idle which is done at the throttle bodies. you have to go back and forth between the two.

so there is also and adjustment at the knobby? i just sucked up my throttle cable until no slop remained really, or very little to none when i moved the throttle b4 throttle bodies opened

SaberKitty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2006
Foothills of Grosse Gelb
There's no adjustment at the switch.

Need enough slack in the cable to slide a credit card between the throttle lever and the kill switch housing.

PowderCrew

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2007
in the shadow of the Rubies, Nevada
There's no adjustment at the switch.

Need enough slack in the cable to slide a credit card between the throttle lever and the kill switch housing.

I have heard this many times... fighting the same issue on my sled. What doesnt make sense to me is the 2 little nubs on the thumb lever. (the throttle DOES NOT sit flush against the housing) How do you adjust for "credit card thickness"?... from the nubs to the housing?

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
I have heard this many times... fighting the same issue on my sled. What doesnt make sense to me is the 2 little nubs on the thumb lever. (the throttle DOES NOT sit flush against the housing) How do you adjust for "credit card thickness"?... from the nubs to the housing?

ill update this, its not the safety switch... this morning went to go out, it wouldnt fire even after fixing the cable, so then i cut the switch out... so its not doing anything, thing fired right up after that... YAY... shut off, fired it up to load up again a few mins later, get up to the spot to unload, wont start

so i clearly have some other issue, ill make an new thread for that issue however, thanks

F
Jan 3, 2008
ill update this, its not the safety switch... this morning went to go out, it wouldnt fire even after fixing the cable, so then i cut the switch out... so its not doing anything, thing fired right up after that... YAY... shut off, fired it up to load up again a few mins later, get up to the spot to unload, wont start

so i clearly have some other issue, ill make an new thread for that issue however, thanks

I know this is an old thread but what did the problem end up being. I tried to search other threads you started but couldn't find the follow up post to this.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
I know this is an old thread but what did the problem end up being. I tried to search other threads you started but couldn't find the follow up post to this.

I don't remember unfortunately, I believe it was for my dads sled and we had a aftermarket EFI controller on it from dobeck, and It had fried the ECM, but it's been so long :\

Premium Features