• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Recoil help

MUZBOMB

Lifetime Membership
Aug 15, 2008
Albeta sometimes Saskatchewan
Hey guys on my sons 2011 M6 he has been having issues with recoil starting sled. Some times when you pull the rope there is nothing there can pull the rope all the way no engagement might do this a couple time then it will engage and start sled. So I took the recoil off sled and the inside of the recoil feels loose has some play side to side so I was going to take apart but I can’t get the nut off the top it just spins with the stud??? I am not sure what the hell is going on I have taken recoils apart lots and the nut always just spins off this one not a change. Any ideas.

76CF132F-B275-4026-8E76-5429577929CC.jpeg

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Stud is welded to case and has broken. Peel sticker off outside and you may see where center of case has cracked. If stud spins with pulley it wont engage the dogs to come out to catch the basket on flywheel. I have welded them before.

MUZBOMB

Lifetime Membership
Aug 15, 2008
Stud is welded to case and has broken. Peel sticker off outside and you may see where center of case has cracked. If stud spins with pulley it wont engage the dogs to come out to catch the basket on flywheel. I have welded them before.

So I peeled the heat tape off and no cracks it looks shiny new in the cover side.

MUZBOMB

Lifetime Membership
Aug 15, 2008
I have tried jamming a screw driver in along side the cover and the round plastic to maybe bind it but no luck I am really lost on this one and I have taken recoils apart before no issues.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Can you cut a slot on the bolt with a dremmel or hacksaw so maybe you can use a srewdriver to keep the bolt from spinning and enable disassembly?

R
Sounds like the nutcould be stripped., therefore it is spinning, not staying tight for the cogs to grab. IF you get, the nut off and cover off...take it off slowly and carefully or you will have a hell of a mess with the spring, Try some upward pressure on the nut then try removing. If it is stripped, it may catch and thread out.
If you get it apart, they are quite cool to see how they work. There is a shim under the nut which may be damaged also.

MUZBOMB

Lifetime Membership
Aug 15, 2008
Sounds like the nutcould be stripped., therefore it is spinning, not staying tight for the cogs to grab. IF you get, the nut off and cover off...take it off slowly and carefully or you will have a hell of a mess with the spring, Try some upward pressure on the nut then try removing. If it is stripped, it may catch and thread out.
If you get it apart, they are quite cool to see how they work. There is a shim under the nut which may be damaged also.
Ya I have taken recoils apart lots but have never ran into this kind of problem before. Hahaha

Premium Features