• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Questions from a new timbersled owner (YZ450)

E
Dec 14, 2020
So is the chain touching the track okay? I assume it's normal. The chain tension from the engine sprocket is tight like the instructions told me to do.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
Chain rubbing on the track? my experience : its not an issue, your bike and your kit mine rubbed, so I notched my track, didn't notice any loss of traction and couldn't tell my track turned easier. Later put a big track on my Yamaha back then........really rubbed big time, again cut the track notch, not sure it was necessary.

Oil changes in your bike/ all bikes, in the snow is all about heat management, if your water temps are all over the place and low in deep snow, then best to change oil every cold ride. If you upgrade to engine covers and heat exchangers so the bike runs 170 and up ALL the time, you will find clean clean non contaminated oil after 3 or 4 rides. Oil will stay far cleaner than riding your bike in the dirt, which says a lot about how much dirt passes our K and N filters in summer riding.

When we started sno bike'n, totally ignorant of whats up, we had white foam in our oil after 3 hrs of cold morning riding, we had friends Suzuki and Kaw go down with engine failure from water in the oil, was all unnecessary if we had got our head out of our, you know, and thought this thing through.

Yes you can bolt a kit to a bike and take a ride, but if you stay at it and ride in all conditions, then some serious shop time is in order.

E
Dec 14, 2020
Chain rubbing on the track? my experience : its not an issue, your bike and your kit mine rubbed, so I notched my track, didn't notice any loss of traction and couldn't tell my track turned easier. Later put a big track on my Yamaha back then........really rubbed big time, again cut the track notch, not sure it was necessary.

Oil changes in your bike/ all bikes, in the snow is all about heat management, if your water temps are all over the place and low in deep snow, then best to change oil every cold ride. If you upgrade to engine covers and heat exchangers so the bike runs 170 and up ALL the time, you will find clean clean non contaminated oil after 3 or 4 rides. Oil will stay far cleaner than riding your bike in the dirt, which says a lot about how much dirt passes our K and N filters in summer riding.

When we started sno bike'n, totally ignorant of whats up, we had white foam in our oil after 3 hrs of cold morning riding, we had friends Suzuki and Kaw go down with engine failure from water in the oil, was all unnecessary if we had got our head out of our, you know, and thought this thing through.

Yes you can bolt a kit to a bike and take a ride, but if you stay at it and ride in all conditions, then some serious shop time is in order.
I have blankets and a termobob and temp sensor, plan to only rip around above 170. Honestly my biggest concern is the battery/starter system failing. I got an AGM or gel battery (can't remember which) for it so hopefully no failures.

The picture shows a notch cut out in the track where the chain runs. I just didn't think it was supposed to touch the track.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Ideally it is probably not supposed to rub on the truck but many of them do. It doesn’t seem to have any negligible effect. On my 2016 mountain horse I cut the notches a little deeper. Didn’t notice any difference it was more for just peace of mind. A brand new razor blade slices through that track no problem. Super easy if you want.

E
Dec 14, 2020
Below pics of the chain slack. Looks like I just gotta slide the middle spindle (black one) to the left to tighten it some? That right?
PXL_20201230_154226523.jpgPXL_20201230_154217209.jpg

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Yes. you want between 1/2 and 5/8 of an inch freeplay (Total, side to side). measured from the nut on the black/adjustment nut

E
Dec 14, 2020
So had my first ride today and liked it way more than I expected to! It was rad! Went out to trapper creek in Alaska. But alas I must start a new thread.

After about 2 hours on the bike I fried the clutch. Thankfully got it back to the cabin before it wouldn't move. I had blankets on and I think it got too hot, not sure. It was mostly steady at 182 deg F. But at one point, and when I would stop, it would get up to like 210. So that probably not good. Damn. I thought I had it dialled to.

Premium Features