• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M1000 162 to 174 Tunnel Extension Required??

A
Aug 31, 2010
I recently bought a 2009 M1000 162" LE and I would like to put a 174" track on it. With so many new sleds going with the shorter tunnel setup I was curious if I would have to lengthen the tunnel on this M1000 to put a 174" or could I remove the mud flap and leave it at that? I greatly appreciate any feedback or insights from this sight. Thanks.

X
Oct 8, 2009
M1000s have a plastic bumper, so you may want to put a vanamburg rear bumper on it and run it without a flap. But, to answer your question...no. It is your sled, so you can do whatever you want. If it is too short, you will know when it throws ice chunks at you.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
M1000s have a plastic bumper, so you may want to put a vanamburg rear bumper on it and run it without a flap. But, to answer your question...no. It is your sled, so you can do whatever you want. If it is too short, you will know when it throws ice chunks at you.
This is incorrect for the 2009 model year and up. Arctic Cat changed the rear of the tunnel to be shorter with more taper, aluminum bumper, and flat cooler.

I put a 3" lug 162 Powerclaw on a 2009 M1000 162 that had originally had the 2.25" lug Powerclaw. I haven't felt it while riding, but the track lugs have rubbed on the rear tunnel cap enough that it's scuffing them up a bit. Tried increasing rear shock pressure to lessen contact during bottom out, but then it washed out worse on sidehills. So given this experience I would recommend extending your tunnel.

Even with the 2005-2008 rear bumper and cooler setup it doesn't work to lengthen the track and keep the stock shorter tunnel. I lengthened my 2005 M7 from 153 to 162 and left the tunnel stock to try it for a ride. The paddles rubbed the curved cooler that hangs down in the back pretty hard anytime I bottomed out. Either on the trail or just going through a sharp V ravine or creek. Ended up putting a different bumper tunnel extension on from Van Amberg to fix the issue.

A
Aug 31, 2010
This is incorrect for the 2009 model year and up. Arctic Cat changed the rear of the tunnel to be shorter with more taper, aluminum bumper, and flat cooler.

I put a 3" lug 162 Powerclaw on a 2009 M1000 162 that had originally had the 2.25" lug Powerclaw. I haven't felt it while riding, but the track lugs have rubbed on the rear tunnel cap enough that it's scuffing them up a bit. Tried increasing rear shock pressure to lessen contact during bottom out, but then it washed out worse on sidehills. So given this experience I would recommend extending your tunnel.

Even with the 2005-2008 rear bumper and cooler setup it doesn't work to lengthen the track and keep the stock shorter tunnel. I lengthened my 2005 M7 from 153 to 162 and left the tunnel stock to try it for a ride. The paddles rubbed the curved cooler that hangs down in the back pretty hard anytime I bottomed out. Either on the trail or just going through a sharp V ravine or creek. Ended up putting a different bumper tunnel extension on from Van Amberg to fix the issue.
Thank you for the insight Boondocker. I was really hoping to avoid the tunnel extension because of cost. Since it looks like that would be needed I might look at just a 162 with 2.6-2.8" lugs instead. Plus I liked the idea of the short tunnel look on an older sled. I truly appreciate your feedback.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
I recently bought a 2009 M1000 162" LE and I would like to put a 174" track on it. With so many new sleds going with the shorter tunnel setup I was curious if I would have to lengthen the tunnel on this M1000 to put a 174" or could I remove the mud flap and leave it at that? I greatly appreciate any feedback or insights from this sight. Thanks.
Yes, you'd definitely want to put a longer tunnel extension on it and move the cooler all the way to the rear to retain as much cooling ability as possible. My best friend did this exact mod 3 yrs ago and tried riding the 174 with the stock '09 162" length tunnel and was constantly overheating in anything less than a foot+ of fresh. He extended the tunnel out about 6 or 8" and moved the cooler all the way to the back it worked great without any issue.

Premium Features