• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

KX450F LED Headlight/lightbar install.

J
Apr 6, 2008
Just thought I would post the basics of my little project.
I'm getting a couple 2009 kx450's together here and wanted a headlight but unfortunately couldn't afford a plug-and-play kit from the big name aftermarket headlight guys. (Though they look great and would love the simplicity)

So..... as an alternative this is what I did.....

I first of all would like to say that I am no professional and I'm sure this set up could be improved on. I'm sure somebody out there will identify what I should have done differently but hopefully this will hold up as I did the same thing to both bikes!
The whole set up cost about $50 and seems to work great! Haven't gotten to use them while riding yet so we'll see!

-No battery.
-$25 Kawell brand light bar off Amazon. Part #CM-SL3030E
-$9 switch
-in line mini fuse holder with 7.5 amp fuse
-Some wire, waterproof connectors, ring terminals, zip ties and optional male/female connectors of some sort if you want your light to be removable easily.
-1 inch flat stock aluminum

I have both model light bars. We'll see which one is better. The CM-SL3060E is a 60 degree flood and the CM-SL3030E is a 30 degree beam. Asthetically they are identical.Both are aluminum body's and seem very well made!
They are super bright and so far don't seem to affect the bike.
I tapped into power at the orange wire coming out of the condenser and grounded the light on a bolt right behind it that was already being used for just that.

I fabled up some brackets, put some slightly longer stainless bolts in my awesome Fastway handguard mounts and mounted to them.

A little fabricating and the number plate was back on and we're good to go!

Woo hoo!

20150129_235859.jpg 20150201_214154.jpg 20150131_222807.jpg 20150201_211949.jpg 20150201_211903.jpg 20150201_214228.jpg 20150201_214519.jpg

Last edited:
N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
Nice job on the mounting. I got one of those Kalwell light bars for a buddy bike, fogged up on the 3rd ride. The color and output is lacking compared to the Cyclops unit FYI (of course for $25 you can't expect much.)

_MG_8564.JPG

Kalwell:
_MG_7197.JPG

Cyclops 630
_MG_7195.JPG

_MG_7199.JPG

Last edited:

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
Nice. Thanks for posting.

KX are A/C systems, correct? If so, since LED don't like A/C, what did you use for a rectifier?

J
Apr 6, 2008
Nope. Just simply tap into that orange wire I described and you've got DC voltage! Only thing between that wire and the light is a fuse. Of course you don't have a ton of power to work with so you have to stick with something with lower wattage. :)

Btw, I've got two rides on it now the second one being the wettest day I have EVER ridden and the light worked great! Plenty bright and no water inside the lens so far.....

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
I have the same bike and looking at doing something similar.

Also wondering if you can tie grip warmers into this orange wire for power? Put another switch and most like just run 1 at a time?

Thoughts?

J
Apr 6, 2008
Hand Warmers

Hello,
So I haven't logged into Snowest in forever. :-( Saw your message and no doubt you have already figured it out by now!
Yes, that is where you would hook up hand warmers. And yes I also agree that it would only be wise to run one at a time. I only have a light for now but I'm contemplating warmers and will simply have a 3 position switch to insure I never accidentally turn both on at the same time.
Give me a holler back and let me know how it went for you!

S
Oct 21, 2017
I have a 30watt ebay light bar and it works great. I've found the best is a combo beam. Spot in middle and flood on outside. Worked great all summer. We go on night rides every week. Some guys have the cyclops light bar and its great too, good light output, slightly better than mine. But i paid $40 to their 300+ . Great warranty but i could buy about 8 more lights. And the led technology is getting better every year. Also important is a battery powered light on helmet so when your bike stalls going around a switchback you still have light.

Premium Features