• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is it gelled?

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
I would think that you are screwed! I had my truck outside all day on Sunday and the temp was 20 degrees and it gelled. I had to plug it in and it still took almost three hours to start the dang thing! Good luck!

L
Oct 11, 2001
Butte, MT
There's no way you should be gelled at that temp. By now you should be getting winter blend at all pumps. I was running #2 last week at hunting camp and it was -20 on the coldest night, no problems.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
There's no way you should be gelled at that temp. By now you should be getting winter blend at all pumps. I was running #2 last week at hunting camp and it was -20 on the coldest night, no problems.

You're right, there is no reason that it should be gelled, but it was! The only explanation that I have is that I got the last of the regular fuek before they switched over at the station. Up until Thanksgiving it was 50-60 degrees everyday, so they may have held off filling the tanks with blended.

When I tried to start, it would just grunt and not fire, all the while pouring a white cloud out of the exhaust. My brother, a mechanic, said that it was gelled. I added some anti-gel and plugged it in for 3 hours. It finally started and I let it run for 1/2 an hour, then pulled it into the garage and plugged it in.

Anybody have any other suggestions on what may have happened? I never have trouble starting it usually. BTW, it's a 2003 Powerstroke with the 7.3

S
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Shaw, Montana
My brother in law had a problem with a 2004 6.0 Powerstroke, that it would Gel up. Had a problem with the ecu and the emmison system on the exaust. It would blow white smoke, act like it gelled up, try and shut off while you drove it on the highway, ect...

Any possibility of there being water in the fuel???

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
When I tried to start, it would just grunt and not fire, all the while pouring a white cloud out of the exhaust. My brother, a mechanic, said that it was gelled. I added some anti-gel and plugged it in for 3 hours. It finally started and I let it run for 1/2 an hour, then pulled it into the garage and plugged it in.

Anybody have any other suggestions on what may have happened? I never have trouble starting it usually. BTW, it's a 2003 Powerstroke with the 7.3

If it was smoking white heavily, it was not gelled, probably glow plugs not working.
Buddy at work has an 02 7.3 and had the same symptoms, even when not as cold. WOuld start fine if plugged in, but if not, nothing but smoke. Got new glow plugs and all was well.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
If it was smoking white heavily, it was not gelled, probably glow plugs not working.
Buddy at work has an 02 7.3 and had the same symptoms, even when not as cold. WOuld start fine if plugged in, but if not, nothing but smoke. Got new glow plugs and all was well.

How do I know if the glow plugs are shot? The truck only has 82,000 miles on it. The little glow plug light turns on, the check engine light stays off and the truck was starting fine two days previous when I went Xmas shopping on Friday! I just don't wanna get stranded on the hill this winter after riding all day!

Trukker

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
High River Ab
Good idea to half spare fuel filters if it does gel and some Howes or similar additives to evaporate water from fuel.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City, SD
Well i left it plugged in for 8 hours and poured some stanadyne in the tank. Started and is running with no problems. I was worried because I havn't filled up in a month and I don't think the gas station had blended fuel out in the end of October. Gonna let it run for an hour since the fuel isn't on my dime.

Premium Features