• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Garage sled storage.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
properly cured and treated concrete can handle carbides all day. they will leave mild scuffs but not cut into it. Only thing that will really cut into it is BRAND new no mile carbides. pretty easy to just drive them around the dirt a little and your good to go. my shop has had thousands of sleds in and out and has marks for sure but nothing worth crying about. again. scuffs not gouges.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
properly cured and treated concrete can handle carbides all day. they will leave mild scuffs but not cut into it. Only thing that will really cut into it is BRAND new no mile carbides. pretty easy to just drive them around the dirt a little and your good to go. my shop has had thousands of sleds in and out and has marks for sure but nothing worth crying about. again. scuffs not gouges.
That does not exist where I live. Local dealership's floor doesn't have gouges, it has GROOVES that you can feel with your feet from carbides. My neighbor with a new house has chunks taken out of the corner at the start of the garage. He called me over and asked why, I told him what you said. Improper concrete. Would be different if it went from asphalt to concrete level, but most around here have 2 inch lips from gravel to concrete. Actually, there is some good stuff around here. I lied. My shop concrete is better than most. But it was built a LONG time ago, when people gave a crap about quality. New sleds leave marks but not holes.

View attachment 377800

Protecting the concrete floor is easy enough.
Lots of others have given you plenty of solutions.
BUT
None of those solutions address the WATER RETENTION issue very well that dragging 4 snowloaded sleds into your garage creates.

You need to protect the concrete AND provide it an easy way to DRY OFF.. garage flooring glendale
I've got an old sled that I'll be restoring over the next couple of years and buying a new one for this coming season. Floor space is limited so I'd like to see what you guys have done to store them. I'll be starting on fabbing something up in the next few days and would appreciate some ideas.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Farmer in our club built this for our SAR setup. The lower bunk needs to be a little taller. We use a ramp to scoot the rescue sled up and down on. If I were building one for sleds, I would make the top deck slide up and down with a cable setup. At least it keeps it out of the way of our two cats and the skid-steer.
I think I remember some outfits in the past actually making something similar but likely died on the vine due to lack of sales volume.

IMG_0159.jpg

Looking for some options. I bought my house two years ago, it was built in 2012 and was a vacation place, very little use. The garage floor was perfect. We ride from the house 90% of the time, so I needed to figure out how to park/store sleds without f-ing up the concrete. Sleds literally in and out 5 or more times a week. Years ago I bought a sled from a guy who had a HUGE garage, he had glides mounted to the floor. But they were screwed in to the concrete. Kinda what I was looking to avoid, concrete damage. So a year ago I glued glides down with the best thing that I could find, it was in a tube and said that it adheres to concrete and pvc. I glued 32 glides down. Worked well until they got super wet and I spilled some gas on them, then some of them popped back up.
So me and Tater just pulled all of them back up, scraped all the glue off of the floor, and are in the middle of gluing them back down. Dollies aren't an option, too big of a pain when pulling in with 4 sleds in the middle of the night. Plus there is some concrete carbide damage from using the garage when some of the glides were up already. Need to cover that up.
I am gluing them back down now with epoxy. It is the tabletop stuff that I used to refinish our coffee table. Neat stuff. I am hoping that this is a permanent solution, but if it doesn't work garage flooring atlanta.....Has anyone done anything similar and what method did you use to fix the glides to the concrete?
I've got an old sled that i'll be restoring over the next couple years and buying a new one for this coming season. Floor space is limited so I'd like to see what you guys have done to store them. I'll be starting on fabbing something up in the next few days and would appreciate some ideas.

DGZRT

Lifetime Membership
Nov 16, 2009
All those expensive tiles and racks and boots are just that . Time consuming and expensive. Sheets of marine grade ply wood with bed liner or cheap plastic ski slide panels are by far easiest and cheapest. Lay them in your area so you can drive in and out . If you mount handles on one edge you can easily stand them up vertically to allow them to dry and your floor to get cleaned up . The handles allow one person to pick them up and slide them around. Lean them up against a wall to allow the water to run off . If needed get an electric heater on a timer to aid in drying . In the spring lay them out on the driveway and pressure wash them good . Stack them vertically on edge and done . Fast and easy!!

Premium Features