• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boost with no boost???

hogracer

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 7, 2010
St Anthony Idaho
Hey guys I need some help. 22 boost was running great, took it in for recalls and they did the recalls including a new throttle cable. They told me they did not re-flash it. I take it for a couple rides and instead of 8700 its pulling 8150 maybe 8250 at times. I take at apart and sure enough they didn't tighten the clamps on the air box to throttle body. One of them is stripped in the allen head so bad I can't get it to work. That clamp looks to be backordered for the immediate future so mtnk helps me out with a aftermarket clamp. I put it all together and my boost gauge is only reading at wide open about one quarter instead of all the way full like it should. After three more times of taking it all apart and checking everything for rips I buy a boost check gauge and pull the charge tube off the turbo and clamp in the boost gauge(into the charge tube going to air box). I filled it up to 15 pounds and it will hold it for about 5-15 seconds. I sprayed soapy water all over it and could not find any leaks. I checked the turbo and everything looks great. I tried it one last time and it still only lights of a quarter of the boost gauge. What do I try now? The snow is piling up and Im over here wrenching on this dang thing.

hogracer

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 7, 2010
St Anthony Idaho
It is getting full throttle at the t-bodies. How could I verify the gauge is working okay? Its still not going up past 8200 and its pretty obvious when you ride that its not getting enough boost. Nothing like riding a boost with no boost.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Two things. Did they relearn the wastegate actuator.
Check that they tightened the actuator bolts or they didn’t get the spring rod back into the wastegate. The spring rod also rounds off and doesn’t close the wastegate.

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
If it went in recently for recalls, the brake reflash was done. After the reflash, it is best to do BOTH an E-VES relearn AND a wastegate relearn.

Poor wastegate function will keep a BOOST from building full boost. If actuator goes through its movement, it will NOT throw a code.

skibumm

Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2004
Utah
Hey guys I need some help. 22 boost was running great, took it in for recalls and they did the recalls including a new throttle cable. They told me they did not re-flash it. I take it for a couple rides and instead of 8700 its pulling 8150 maybe 8250 at times. I take at apart and sure enough they didn't tighten the clamps on the air box to throttle body. One of them is stripped in the allen head so bad I can't get it to work. That clamp looks to be backordered for the immediate future so mtnk helps me out with a aftermarket clamp. I put it all together and my boost gauge is only reading at wide open about one quarter instead of all the way full like it should. After three more times of taking it all apart and checking everything for rips I buy a boost check gauge and pull the charge tube off the turbo and clamp in the boost gauge(into the charge tube going to air box). I filled it up to 15 pounds and it will hold it for about 5-15 seconds. I sprayed soapy water all over it and could not find any leaks. I checked the turbo and everything looks great. I tried it one last time and it still only lights of a quarter of the boost gauge. What do I try now? The snow is piling up and Im over here wrenching on this dang thing.

image_1.jpeg

hogracer

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 7, 2010
St Anthony Idaho
What were your symptoms with that bad boot? I left a note on my handlebars not to reflash it when they did the recalls and it doesn’t do the whole limp mode when you ride the brake so I’m assuming they didn’t reflash it. Waste gate is definitely going through the cycle and appears to be functioning okay.

skibumm

Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2004
Utah
It would run good till about 7900 RPM then fall on it's face and hold about 6600 RPM until you chopped the throttle and it would start all over again. Started by steadily dropping RPM from 8600 down to about 7900 then finally got down to the 6600 mark. It was obviously getting worse with time. It also idled to high.

hamlin

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2013
A friend I ride with had a similar issue with his. It ended up being the dealer had replaced a leaking oil pump and when they reinstalled the airbox, they didn’t have the v-band clamps on right and it created a vacuum leak at idle and boost leak under throttle. It ran like crap (high idle, low on power) so he pulled secondary and it was obvious they had the flanges misaligned.

jeeper8650

Premium Member
Oct 18, 2016
Same problem here and have not figured it out yet. Barely pulls 7900-8100 and low on power. It happened after the dealer replaced my throttle cable too. Wondering if the air box is not on right like those said above or something torn. Definitely a bummer to ride handle bar deep pow at 7900rpm…

alexkravets

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 6, 2008
Portland
I had the same problem. My wastegate rusted solid in the open position there for no boost

hogracer

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 7, 2010
St Anthony Idaho
Seems like it is easy to get a little rough on these air boxes. I think a lot of people are ripping them while installing a can, they push that turbo over and it’s still hooked to the air box via boost tube and the only thing that gives is the throttle body boot. In my situation when the dealer did a throttle cable recall they must have gotten a little rough with the air box. One clamp was left loose and one clamp was wedged on sideways with the Allan head stripped out. Honestly after getting those clamps on and off a few times myself I can’t blame them too much because they are a real pain. It also isn’t a walk in the park trying to get the clamps to seal the way they should or even go on decent. Clamps and boot are back ordered until May 10. It’s a real shame I took it in for the recalls. At least I know the problem now. Thanks for the help guys 0D5A1F90-6FD2-49DF-BB26-86CC8BE82C2D.jpeg

5627B6DF-9CC4-4EF5-B625-B4D2E272F877.jpeg

jeeper8650

Premium Member
Oct 18, 2016
Seems like it is easy to get a little rough on these air boxes. I think a lot of people are ripping them while installing a can, they push that turbo over and it’s still hooked to the air box via boost tube and the only thing that gives is the throttle body boot. In my situation when the dealer did a throttle cable recall they must have gotten a little rough with the air box. One clamp was left loose and one clamp was wedged on sideways with the Allan head stripped out. Honestly after getting those clamps on and off a few times myself I can’t blame them too much because they are a real pain. It also isn’t a walk in the park trying to get the clamps to seal the way they should or even go on decent. Clamps and boot are back ordered until May 10. It’s a real shame I took it in for the recalls. At least I know the problem now. Thanks for the help guys View attachment 400246
Bummer on the backorder. Mine is the same after the dealer replaced my throttle cable and was yanking the airbox out.

I wonder if you could seal it with high temp silicone as a temp fix to ride?

My 23 boost finally showed up, so I may try that fix on the 22 Boost. That said I haven't looked at the airbox close in person yet so maybe it is a dumb idea.

Premium Features