• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

bca mtn pro vest - Any real customer reviews

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
Mrs. Chadx and I picked up two of these the end of last season to replace our ABS backpacks. Her shoulder dislocation last season (and same should separation four years ago) prompted us to try these to get some of the backpack shoulder strap weight off her shoulder. We've not been out yet, but in fittings, the vest (as one would expect) seems to carry the weight more dispersed. High hopes this will help her comfort level. Once we get a few rides to prove them out, we'll sell our ABS and our tekvests. I really like the all-in-one concept so less layers.

Regarding shovel carrying, I dislike the interior pouch. I'm concerned about the rough leading edge of my shovel wearing away at the interior of the pouch as it doesn't seem to be of a wear-resistant material. Also, the shovel blade bangs against the shovel handle and probe/case so another area that wear might occur. So I bought one of the BCA external shovel blade holders others have mentioned above. So far, that seems like the solution. All my previous packs, including our ABS backpacks, the shovel, shovel handle and probe were carried externally which is much our preference; Ease of access and not putting snow and ice back in your pack after using shovel. Still deciding if I'll run the shovel handle in the blade and have it sticking up or run them separated.

If you run a shovel blade externally with handle removed, make sure to consider how your shovel blade is designed. I've seen some where the handle receiver has a bottom rather than passing all the way through. Meaning it could get packed with snow/ice and your shovel handle would not insert and seat. Most have pass through so as you push in the handle, any snow would get pushed out the back, which is good. A design choice to be aware of if you run a blade externally with no handle inserted.

Ideally, I'd like to mount a second shovel, for day-to-day use, on the tunnel so I don't have to pull off my pack at all to access it, but just have never done that over the years as I haven't found a way to do so that doesn't block easy access to tunnel bags and their contents. I also like the idea of a separate shovel on the tunnel so my pack is still on me if there would be a slide during the time I pull off the pack to get out the shovel. NOTE: If you start wearing your avy transceiver in the vest rather than under your shell on it's own harness, that would mean if you take off your backpack to get something out or leave your backpack/vest off while you dig, your transceiver is not on your person. Not good. So just we might continue to wear transceivers on their own harness and NOT in the vest pocket. Or, if in the vest, just be aware that we need to put the vest back on as soon as we pull out the shovel and wear it while digging (if terrain dictates).

Last edited:

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
one thing i do not like about the external mount is the lack of quick connects. the way it mounts is kinda old school and if you have to access the zipper sections you have to undo the straps a bit to get into the bag. this is almost impossible with glove on.

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
The way I have the taps run, which I assume are correct, it's really easy to loosen them even with gloves; just push the tab on the black plastic buckle forward and it gives plenty of slack in the strap.

I suppose it also depends on what you keep in the pack (meaning, what you are accessing). We only keep emergency stuff in our pack and so don't access it much. All of the often used and accessed stuff is in our tunnel bags because we don't want to be pulling our packs off every time we want something. So all that goes in the tunnel bags or other on-sled storage.

dgibbons

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2012
Cheyenne, WY
Mrs. Chadx and I picked up two of these the end of last season to replace our ABS backpacks. Her shoulder dislocation last season (and same should separation four years ago) prompted us to try these to get some of the backpack shoulder strap weight off her shoulder. We've not been out yet, but in fittings, the vest (as one would expect) seems to carry the weight more dispersed. High hopes this will help her comfort level. Once we get a few rides to prove them out, we'll sell our ABS and our tekvests. I really like the all-in-one concept so less layers.

Regarding shovel carrying, I dislike the interior pouch. I'm concerned about the rough leading edge of my shovel wearing away at the interior of the pouch as it doesn't seem to be of a wear-resistant material. Also, the shovel blade bangs against the shovel handle and probe/case so another area that wear might occur. So I bought one of the BCA external shovel blade holders others have mentioned above. So far, that seems like the solution. All my previous packs, including our ABS backpacks, the shovel, shovel handle and probe were carried externally which is much our preference; Ease of access and not putting snow and ice back in your pack after using shovel. Still deciding if I'll run the shovel handle in the blade and have it sticking up or run them separated.

If you run a shovel blade externally with handle removed, make sure to consider how your shovel blade is designed. I've seen some where the handle receiver has a bottom rather than passing all the way through. Meaning it could get packed with snow/ice and your shovel handle would not insert and seat. Most have pass through so as you push in the handle, any snow would get pushed out the back, which is good. A design choice to be aware of if you run a blade externally with no handle inserted.

Ideally, I'd like to mount a second shovel, for day-to-day use, on the tunnel so I don't have to pull off my pack at all to access it, but just have never done that over the years as I haven't found a way to do so that doesn't block easy access to tunnel bags and their contents. I also like the idea of a separate shovel on the tunnel so my pack is still on me if there would be a slide during the time I pull off the pack to get out the shovel. NOTE: If you start wearing your avy transceiver in the vest rather than under your shell on it's own harness, that would mean if you take off your backpack to get something out or leave your backpack/vest off while you dig, your transceiver is not on your person. Not good. So just we might continue to wear transceivers on their own harness and NOT in the vest pocket. Or, if in the vest, just be aware that we need to put the vest back on as soon as we pull out the shovel and wear it while digging (if terrain dictates).

BCA made the Mtn Pro Tunnel bag which solves those issues. There are a few other tunnel bags that have shovel holders that work well too (I think Polaris makes a good one, and sled solutions too). I bought the BCA tunnel bag and it has worked very well. shovel and handle are mounted on the top and I can unzip and access inside contents without ever touching the shovel. I have a large HMK shovel on the tunnel bag so I actually mounted the bag backwards, close to the seat so the shovel handle has room to stick out behind the bag. I love the tunnel bag and wouldn't go without anymore.

dgibbons

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2012
Cheyenne, WY
Also worth noting, I never have to take off my vest for anything really since my main shovel is in my tunnel bag. I've actually never even used my BCA Dozer in my vest besides maybe once or twice for fun. Mike recommends using a tunnel bag for additional shovel so you don't take off your vest / separate yourself from your beacon ever. I also love the fact that I don't have to worry about forgetting to put my beacon on before my coat. Getting dressed and undressed has become much more efficient, which is important when it's damn cold out and you don't have an enclosed trailer to change in LOL.

Premium Features