• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 Oil Tank Leak

deschutes

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
Was cleaning clutches this evening and noticed oil on the floor, under the clutches and all over the reservoir shelf. Looks like the oil tank has a very slow leak somewhere on the seam. Slow enough that I can't really tell where it is coming from. I did check the tank lines, cap, sensor plug, etc. and all if that looks good. Seems to be coming from somewhere on the side or bottom. Even pulled the clutch and checked the oil pump lines, just because of all the talk.

We purchase a couple sleds a year and have never seen this before. Anyone else ever have this issue?

06redrevx

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2008
Mine was very wet as well. I cleaned it all up before all the issues came to light. No miles on mine yet but I think I'll check it again

N
Apr 9, 2010
Soldotna, AK
Was cleaning clutches this evening and noticed oil on the floor, under the clutches and all over the reservoir shelf. Looks like the oil tank has a very slow leak somewhere on the seam. Slow enough that I can't really tell where it is coming from. I did check the tank lines, cap, sensor plug, etc. and all if that looks good. Seems to be coming from somewhere on the side or bottom. Even pulled the clutch and checked the oil pump lines, just because of all the talk.

We purchase a couple sleds a year and have never seen this before. Anyone else ever have this issue?

Sure its not just oil coming out exhaust/y pipe?

deschutes

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
No - It is up on the oil tank and shelf and dripping into the pan, and is clean/clear oil.

Adam12

Lifetime Membership
Apr 16, 2014
Sisters, OR
Is your cap on correctly? My brother had a similar situation and his cap was cross-threaded. It made quite the mess.

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
Is your cap on correctly? My brother had a similar situation and his cap was cross-threaded. It made quite the mess.
I brought my axys and was leaking oil near the cap, switched the cap with the one from my pro-ride and haven't seen a single drop after.

A
Jan 6, 2017
Alaska
Not sure if the oil tank is the same on the 850 as it is from the 800, but deformation on the threads is a big issue with these sleds. Discovered the same issue on my 800 last year, oil leaking when i had to roll it over. It could have been a warranty issue, but the better fix was a $10 oil cap sleeve from PowerMadd. It seals up the tank well, and have not had an issue since.

Premium Features