• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2023 Yamaha YZ450F

Yeti854

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 2, 2019
Anyone running these new bikes on a snowbike yet?

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
I was kind of excited for the '23s at first, but after reading the MXA test that just came in the mail, they don't seem like much of an improvement for a dedicated snow bike. They actually have less hp than the '22s and losing 3.5 lbs isn't going to be noticeable on a snow bike. They also talk about the new clutch spring being weak, which a track is going to magnify a lot. The extra 500 rpms on the rev limiter will be nice though. If you use the bike year round I'm sure they will be a nice improvement with tires. I'm going to look for a good used '20-'22 to upgrade my 2014.

M
Jan 14, 2004
Nice as it is to have shiny new stuff I agree the bike to buy used now is a 2020-2022 low hour ex-racer bike. Yamaha fixed most of the issues with the trans, map switch etc for 2020. If money was no object I'd be looking hard at that 2023.

M5

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
On previous Yamaha‘s, 2017 and older, the best airbox luck I had was with the CR racing intake. Tried other options, but none worked flawlessly in deep snow consistently. The CR racing ran flawlessly in all conditions but super freaking loud. What is everyone doing on their newer Yamaha‘s? I’m almost thinking just run the stock box for now since it is so different than previous models. Foam around the ports. Maybe a couple holes drilled with frog skins. Probably won’t work 100 percent,but I sure would not like to have to listen to that cr intake all day long! What are y’all thinking for intake on the 23?

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Also, anyone tried to fit the Revy up on their 23? Dan told me he thought it should work fine, but they have not tried one on the 23 yet. I really liked my last one but after a few years, it is time to start fresh. Unfortunately, I threw mine out last spring so I’m not sure about fit.

M
Jan 14, 2004
I haven't checked if he has one yet for the 23 but I ran the Airforce Velocity stack on my 2018 YZ. It worked flawlessly and it feels like it pulls harder with the stack. I never had to remove snow once last season from my airbox. After a few rides I just quit checking at my airbox for snow buildup. I've ridden bikes with the CR airbox and yah it works but I think the Airforce makes more power and isn't loud and obnoxious like the CR one. You only get one set of eardrums.

M5

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
I would love to get the velocity stack. Sounds like it works amazing with other mods. From what I understand the more you throw at your bike the more beneficial the velocity stack is. I am starting with stock ECU and stock pipe, so not sure I would see that much of a gain in performance. Did you have to block off the rest of your airbox on your 18?

M
Jan 14, 2004
The two inlets at the front of the airbox are plugged but that is it. I cut vents into the sides of the intake and put frogskin over those with a mesh support in behind. I did a pretty substantial rebuild on my engine last year, new everything, crank, bearings, port job, Hot Cams, OD 5th gear, new transmission, blah blah blah so it was hard to say how much the Airforce helped but the bike flat out rips now. I changed my tune quite a bit. My buddy has basically the same bike but totally stock motor, with the CR style intake. We were going to put my Airforce on his bike to see how it worked but frankly I didn't want to give up the Airforce for a day.

The no snow hassles was worth the price of admission. There is no doubt in my mind the design of the Airforce is superior to the CR intake in every way. I expect there is a fair amount of design that goes into every stock MX airbox re velocity etc. The CR is a tube, it cant be better. If the bike manufacturers could just slab a cheap tube on and gain power they would already be doing it.

M5

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Nice. Exactly. Pretty sure we are losing horsepower with some of the intakes…although not as much horsepower as we lose when the intake clogs with snow and then getting stuck at the bottom of a descent or worse yet getting pummeled and buried. My problem with the older YZ‘s was that the airbox would always fill up with snow no matter how much I tried to block it off. Currently thinking that if the new airbox does not get snow in it then stock with a pre-filter should work pretty well. Possibly wasting my time, but feeling kind of broke right now due to the kids ski racing program.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Also, anyone tried to fit the Revy up on their 23? Dan told me he thought it should work fine, but they have not tried one on the 23 yet. I really liked my last one but after a few years, it is time to start fresh. Unfortunately, I threw mine out last spring so I’m not sure about fit.
Just an update on this. Don has tried his engine blanket on the 23 and said that it fits. I think I am going to try the new one from C3 instead though. Looks like the C3 won’t ship until we will already be riding but I’ll figure something else out until then.

C
Jan 5, 2023
Canada
I ran a air force stack on my 18 YZ450 last winter with full fmf system, GET ignition. It works awesome I ended up gearing it up a lot my roll out was some pretty big numbers but I am at low elevation..
I can agree with no snow issues running this intake system with the stock air box all removed. There is tons of room in there and no snow builds up. These types of systems fix all the Yamaha intake headaches..
I ended up retro fitting the stack into the stock airbox on my 2020 450 for moto. I spent all summer playing with it and different air box configurations. With the mapping figured out now it works awesome on the dirt! Love how this stacks torques up out of the corners and I can run 3rd gear all the time!
I'm going to build a 2019 YZ this winter as I found one with really low hours. For me I like the 18/19 chassis for snowbikes they fit my riding conditions well.
First thing on the to do list is the Velocity stack!

Premium Features