• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Running Boards - Skinz, B&M, or Phizzer's???

Carbon77

Lifetime Membership
Jun 12, 2008
Yakivegas, WA
Unless you wanna hack up your tunnel, and spend 3 times as much, I would just go with Madfab EZBoards.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Absolutely!

I have one of the earlier versions that I had to hack up my foot boards. They work fine but why do all that work if it's as easy as dropping in a plastic insert and riveting it in place. I guess I should have procrastinated a bit longer and saved myself a ton of work!

Do as Airpoppoff says, he's right on!

D

dirtsnow

Sep 1, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
I guess i was just thinking that with the plastic inserts that the snow still won't fall through, you have to sweep it off with your feet. When i want to plant my foot somewhere and its built up with snow, won't it still just pack down and possibly make my foot slide off?

The tubular ones seem like they will allow me really plant my foot anywhere and the snow will just push through the board.

Can you guys say that the plastic inserts work 100% just as well as the tubular running boards. I also like the rigidity that the tubular ones add to the chassis.

Convince me the plastic ones actually perform better (I don't care about $) and I'll get them.

Carbon77

Lifetime Membership
Jun 12, 2008
Yakivegas, WA
I would say EZ boards are 10% maintenance and Airframes are 1% maintenance. I've even seen airframes ice up and require some kicking to get clean, but 99% of the time they are not. EZ boards are exactly what the name says, EASY. 1 beer install vs a case on the airframes. 1 sweep of the foot and all snow is off the boards whereas airframes never really get snow on them.

Take a post from this thread for a perfect description. http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=342430&highlight=EZ+Boards

Some comparison pics after a couple hours of trail riding and lots of deep powder.

My sled with the EZ boards installed:

IMG-20130310-00128.jpg

And my brother-in-laws stock M1000:

IMG-20130310-00129.jpg

I didn't have to clear by boards all day.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
What he said^

I had some madfab inserts last year and they do stay clean. They are by far the best cheap solution. They'll surprise you how well they work. Even completely full after a long sidehill in some sticky pow, one kick and they're clean.

That said, I took them off and put some B&M boards on in the fall. I've only ridden them once since winter doesn't happen in the sierras any more but I can say this: the reason I got them is a good one. The madfabs don't stiffen up your running boards. A tube rail does. There's a precision in leverage getting up on edge you get from having a virtually rigid board. That's the main reason I wanted to try them and so far I'd say there's some validity to it. Plus I do a bunch of tandem riding for skiing and my boards were getting bent. ;)

E
Oct 21, 2008
flat lander MN
I did the b&m fab on my 11 m8 I think they are great .
my only wish is bdx made a set like they do for the proclimb
they use a flat hunk of alloy along the tunnel not a tube and have nubs welded in for traction.
but the b&m work well virtually snow free just a bit around the tunnel and around the rear of the boards where u don't cut out board gets packed tight

C
Feb 28, 2011
b&m vs madfab

I had mad fab on my 08 xfire for a year. They are better than stock, still build up almost the same amount of snow, but little to no ice. Went B and M on my 2011 and they are 10x better at staying clean, no need to kick snow at all. Like said before, they get snow along the tunnel, and in the suspension hanger but the rest is 100% open and awesome. Only reason to go mad fab instead of tubular is $.

T

torchred

Dec 31, 2013
Throttle up boards might be worth looking at. I have them on my m and they work great.

Have you used the madfabs before? Just curious how the cut away for larger open section works with these? Not a big cost difference and if they stay even cleaner they appear on paper to be a nice upgrade over stock.

The B&M and Skinz boards seem very nice as well, but if a throttle up/madfab work 90% of the way those seem like a good first step for a 4-6 trips a year person.

MNCF1000

Lifetime Membership
Feb 16, 2011
Brooklyn Park, MN
When I bought my '11 M8 it had Mad Fab board inserts installed. I replaced them with B&M boards before I ever rode it. I would sell the Mad Fab boards if you are interested. PM me if you are interested.

C
Sep 30, 2012
Petersburg Ak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captnzar
Throttle up boards might be worth looking at. I have them on my m and they work great.
Have you used the madfabs before? Just curious how the cut away for larger open section works with these? Not a big cost difference and if they stay even cleaner they appear on paper to be a nice upgrade over stock.

The B&M and Skinz boards seem very nice as well, but if a throttle up/madfab work 90% of the way those seem like a good first step for a 4-6 trips a year person.

I've never used madfabs. But the Throttle up boards are stout there is an aluminum insert under the uhmw that goes full width that also takes the place of the stock corner bracket. Fit and finish is very clean.

Volvokvaloya

Premium Member
Dec 2, 2008
Northern Norway
Hard choice between Madfab and Throttle up..some friends of mine did go with Throttle up and couldnt be happier so i will go with Throttle up

JFro50

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2009
Hamburg, MN
H & H customs out of sodak makes nice boards. I have a set on my 09 m and love them. Fit and finish is good and powder looks awesome

JFro50

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2009
Hamburg, MN
Sorry I've been out a few days. I found him here on the forum. His number is (605) 380-0502. They are out of Aberdeen. I dealt with Billy very good guy

Premium Features