• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2009-2011 Diamond Drive Bearing Failure

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

sledr900

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2007
WSS, MT
Guess what!

I just pulled the diamond drive on my 2009 M8. Upon opening the case I found exactly what Rick found. Luckily, no damage done except for the bearing. I don't think this is coincidence. I have about 700 miles on my sled. I had no signs or symptoms that anything was wrong in the drive, but just decided to check it as part of preseason maintenance. If you own a 2009 M-series I would advise having this checked out as Ray stated. Hopefully, Arctic Cat will do something about this issue. I am going to replace the bearing with the 5203, instead of waiting on AC. A big thank you to Rick for posting this originally. BD-xtreme is this a concern on the reverse diamond drives, also?

montanasledder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2001
Butte Montana
wish i would have known this before i ordered new gears and bearing kit from BDX and finished installing them a few weeks ago. Guess order new bearing and change it out.

thanks

H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com
All of our BDX Diamond Lite drives come with the 5203 double row bearings and coming this fall will have our exclusive HT (high torque) planetary and ring gear for the 300 plus HP sleds. We will have more info on this in 2 months.
Thanks, Ray

any news on this new planetary......i want one:face-icon-small-hap

sent you a PM:beer;

D
Jun 28, 2009
Sin City
How to do?

Does replacing this bearing require any special tools? I have a brand new 09 HCR sitting in the garage that sounds like a good preventative repair to do. I have never had to tear into a DD, is it difficult? Any step by step on how to replace this bearing? thx guys.:beer;

Woody67

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 5, 2008
Bellingham, WA
no special tools needed. i just checked 2010 parts catalog and bearing is a new number. don't know whats different but a new number I will check it out.

B
Jan 15, 2008
Covington, WA
Suggestion

I am going to print off this entire thread and take it to the mechanic at Waldron's A/C. I suggest everyone else does the same as well before you replace. Still time B4 winter. If enough of us draw it to Cat's attention, they ought to replace this bearing with the upgraded one. It's either that or they can replace my entire DD under warranty after I tow the POS out of the woods and go toe to toe with the dealer then. I do not like being the damn guinnea pig for manufacturers. That sh*t ain't right. Good luck everyone. Wish for snow.

B
Jan 15, 2008
Covington, WA
Ray, Thanks for the suggestion to replace. Have you guys had any conversations with A/C about this? I wonder if they would give more credit to your advice than even several customers scattered around the country?

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I'm with you guys on this one.

I am a Diamond Drive virgin. I have never been inside one and frankly after all the stories I have heard, they scare me a bit. I'll give my dealer a call too and see if I can help.

As long as we are at it, how about asking Cat for a fix for the VSB bar issues.

sledr900

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2007
WSS, MT
Interesting Fact

The shaft is actually machined for the wider double row 5203 bearing. The single row 6203 bearing actually has a spacer stuck behind it on the shaft. So all you do is remove the single row bearing and the spacer and slide on the double row bearing. Why didn't Arctic Cat do this in the first place?

I talked to Ray today at BD-xtreme and he said this isn't a concern on the reverse diamond drives. He was very helpful in answering my questions and getting the new bearing on the way.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
planetary systems been around since sliced bread...how can a manufacture not get it right this day and age...man alive common sense in manufacturing just don;t get along...it really is totally inexcusible..total stupidy is not even a defense to have the issues they have had with the diamond drives..its the pinto of the snowmobile..i wish i could see them hang their head in shame but its not likely cause if they had a head and brain these threads would be non exisitant...talk about testing loyaty to the limit...im glad my sled is close to 400 lbs...i will get bdx unit and l will do without reverse when mine craps

dunatyk

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
On the parts breakdown which bearing is it everyone is refering too. I just want to get an idea so i can decide if i want to tackle it myself
thanks

E
Sep 5, 2008
Canada
Should we be concerned about the bearing on the brake side? Safe to assume the same bearings are used in the M1000?
Let me know BDX, I will call and order all that I need for both sleds.
Thanks, great post!:face-icon-small-hap

sledr900

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2007
WSS, MT
In the parts diagram there is an assembly labeled #12 and it is part #11 in that assembly. You will see a part #13 sitting behind it on the shaft and this is the spacer that is removed when you put the new bearing on.

Skinner

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
I tore apart the dd on my wife's one year old dd last year and the bearings were failing already. This was on a 07 but it saved me a ton of money. I would recommend everyone look at theirs no matter what year it is. A cheap bearing and all is good!:D

M
Nov 26, 2007
I talked to Ray today at BD-xtreme and he said this isn't a concern on the reverse diamond drives. He was very helpful in answering my questions and getting the new bearing on the way.

Am I reading this right, if you have a 09 M8 with reverse this double wide bearing is not needed?

If so what is different in the DD with M8's with the reverse?

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
no, it is needed on 09's with engine reverse because they dont have a reverse diamond drive. the 07-08 sleds had mechanical reverse which ran through the reverse diamond drive.

Premium Features