• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M6 odd rev issue

iowa827

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2010
Aurelia Iowa
I recently bought a 2010 M6 and can't seem to figure out what's wrong with the thing. It idles fine and the mid range seems good but it won't open up and rev. The max I can get it to do is 7400 with full movement of the powervalves. I'm not sure if it makes a difference or not but the low beams do not work on the sled.

Here is what I have tried. A local dealer had an 09 so we tried the ECU and that didn't change it. I also checked the reeds and they are good. compression is 125 per cylinder. switched throttle bodies with the other sled (TPS and all) still nothing. Tore down the harness and started checking wires and can't come up with anything. Replaced stator due to charge coil 2 only showing 5.2 ohms. I also unplugged the handle bar harness with no luck. When the handlebar harness is plugged in and I hold the throttle in the idle position to rev it it seems to run the cleanest. I have also swapped the tank from my good running M7 and it didn't change anything. I am unsure of what route to go down next. any input would be greatly appreciated!

Here is a link to what it is doing currently. I also tried holding the exhaust valves open with no change.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwO_tbzym54

P
Nov 26, 2007
Have you ran it on the snow after making the changes?

Not sure on the newer EFI sleds, but I had an '02 EFI a few years ago that we were chasing low RPM on and you could not troubleshoot it in the garage with the track raised. It would reach a certain RPM then bog down. It had to be ran on the snow with a load. Something about the EFI system senses there is no load and cuts the power. Again, don't know if its the same on the next gen EFI's or not.

Edit - After turning on my volume on my computer, that sounds just like what my '02 would do. Try running it on the grass if you have access to a large lot/yard...or wait for some snow.

Last edited:
A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
How many miles on the sled?? Have you checked your clutch springs and moveable sheave bushing on the driven clutch??

iowa827

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2010
Aurelia Iowa
I have tried many servo motors and have not checked the clutch. But I would think I would get the revs without the belt on then. the sled has 6k miles on it I'm starting to question top end/ crank seals maybe?

A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
I have tried many servo motors and have not checked the clutch. But I would think I would get the revs without the belt on then. the sled has 6k miles on it I'm starting to question top end/ crank seals maybe?

Swap out the drive clutch with a known good one, if you haven't replaced your drive clutch in 6000 miles.. its probably time. If the crank seals were bad, you should be able to spray starting fluid or wd40 etc on them when the sled is idling, if it revs up then the seals need to be done. Compression test wouldn't hurt.. I would start with the drive clutch.

iowa827

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2010
Aurelia Iowa
Compression is 110pto 115 mag. crank seals seem fine I have done the spray brake clean around them test several times. I'll give another primary a try. Rode it again today and only got 64-6500 rpm. getting very frustrating!!!!

Premium Features