• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2011 top end rebuild miles

tatorsalad

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
When do you guys think the 800 ho should get new pistons and rings mine has 2400 on it now still running strong.

rmk8000

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2013
saskatchewan canada
I think 2500 mountain miles is a good time to change them. Lots of people leave them until 4-5000 miles though so you could change them in the off season

Last edited:
B

Bowfisher

Sep 16, 2011
American Falls ID
I've got a stock 10 that I rebuilt this year at 3200. I wish I would have done it sooner. One ring was flaking, that cylinder had some minor scouring right above the exhaust port. Both sets of reeds had some chipping, one was missing a small piece on a corner. I'll be doing it at 2000-2500 from now on.

starrsleds

Premium Member
Oct 18, 2008
I have a 10 that has 5006 miles on it has never been opened up just gonna c how long it goes cause im curious (yes keyboard jockeys I know its not smart and may cost me just want to c how long it goes)

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
I have a 10 that has 5006 miles on it has never been opened up just gonna c how long it goes cause im curious (yes keyboard jockeys I know its not smart and may cost me just want to c how long it goes)

You would be surprised how far it will go. I have seen several with over 7000 that have not been touched engine-wise. Contrary to post #4 belief, you do not need to rebuild an M8 at 2000-2500 miles. You are wasting your money..........M1000 yes, M8 no.

Aaron

B
Oct 4, 2008
Stanwood,WA
I just freshened the top end over the summer for routine maintenance with 2400 miles and I am GLAD I did...PTO side piston skirt had a 5/8" crack in it!! All stock motor too. Now 2 rides into the winter I blew PTO side piston which took out the cylinder wall. Replaced all and seized up 3 miles up the road again! Discovered air bubbles in the oil feed line from the pump to the intake plenum...Oil pump took a **** which coincidentally caused damage to the gear drive that turns the oil pump and the water pump taking out the seals. Not cool!

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
The way I see it you should put in new pistons whenever you loose confidence in your sled. It sucks going out for a ride everyday wondering if today will finally be the day your sled blows up.

G
Dec 16, 2007
Washington
07. M6. With 3,000

Any comments. I was wondering

Also. Have done my dd drive on 10 m8 ( bearing) but not on m6
I was thing of doing this weekend... To inspect....all I have done on the m6 is change oil.

Much difference in doing the two?

Anylizer

Lifetime Membership
May 17, 2005
Top 'O the Great Basin... almost
It's all relative! How do you treat your machine? Good warm ups? quality oil? periodic rest while pounding the mountain?

or is it... pinned before the D-ring hits the console and never let off? no ice scratchers? only service the clutch when it fails? use what ever oil your riding buddy for the day is pouring?

IMO 2000mi. in the mountains, is plenty of abuse for any 800cc. piston on any brand of sled. Can you go farther? probably. but at what cost?

Preventive maintenance is way way cheaper than waiting till she blows!

Premium Features