• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Installing 800 HO crate engine

triple650

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2009
Canadia
Allright so I got my crate engine, I've never installed one before so I'm just wondering what I need to do as far as priming the oil pump and stuff? I noticed the inside of the cylinder don't have much oil so it's probably a good idea to put some oil in and turn the engine over by hand right? Installing the engine is not a problem it's the steps to ensure it works lol. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I also have the original engine that I'm parting out in the swap meet if anyone is interested. Thanks!

MT Backcountry

Lifetime Membership
Aug 29, 2008
Montana
Prime oil Pump

I have used a cut coat hanger with a hook on the end, hook it around the pump arm. Start the sled and pull up on the coat hanger, full pull on the hanger. Idle the sled for the first 1-2 minutes, watch for oil lines to purge the air bubbles out. It will start to smoke when the pump is primed, I would run for another 2-3 minutes to insure all air bubbles are out of the lines.

tundramonkey

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
MN
As stated you can use a coat hanger to get the pump primed. I would also do the recommended 100:1 fuel/oil mixture for new engines on a least the first tank of fuel just to make sure the engine has plenty of oil.

Make sure you burp the air out of the coolant system.

On a new engine I heat cycle the motor at least 4 times.

deanross

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
Cody WY
You definetly want to find out if you need to heat cycle a new engine, or is that just for rebuilds? I know someone who had all kinds of problems with a rebuilt until he finally did the heat cycles to it. Then, no more problems. I don't know enough about them to tell you, just know what happened to his.

Premium Features