• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M7 Project Sled....More pics to come

Phizzer

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2008
Ketchikan, AK
So as many of you might already know, I picked up a 2005 M7 with a bent bulkhead. Instead of trying to straighten out what the front of the frame I went ahead and purchased a brand new bulkhead. Once I drilled out what seemed like a million rivets I was finally ready to assemble the sled back together. Instead of leaving the tunnel in the stock form, I purchased a roll of 3M Dinoc Carbon Fiber wrap that I am wrapping the entire sled in. I've already got the tunnel down and I was more than happy with the end result. I was worried about the vinyl wrap peeling later down the road so I did everything I possibly could to prep the aluminum before primering. Sanded down with a rough grit to get good primer adhesion, layed a light layer of Zinc Chromate Primer. This stuff is extremely durable and prevents any type of corrosion or oxidizing occuring in the aluminum. Once that had cure, it was time to go ahead and lay out my wrap. Some patience, a little heat, and a whole lot of squeege'in, I came out with a good result. Once the tunnel was wrapped, I attached my bulkhead to the tunnel. I ended up fabbing my own steering post support brace. There is a plate on the top and a plate on the bottom. I originally was going to use only one plate but after discussing with some of the forum members, I ended up sandwhiching the two together. Shout out BACKCOUNTRY for his input! I had to get a slimmer nut to fit on the bottom of the steering post shaft since the extra aluminum I used ate up some of the threads on the ball joint. After all said and done, the thing is stout as hell and I shouldn't end up with a cracked tunnel at the end of my riding season. More than likely when I get the motor mounted back in Im going to make up a steering hoop brace that should tie everything together and make this steering setup stronger than hell. You can see in the pictures where the existing running boards, there getting cut out, and a set of running boards im buildling will be going in its place. The running boards will be similiar to the open board style that the Airframes are producing. I've got a few little tweaks and ideas Im going to do to try and make the best, strongest, running board I can for this sled. I bought the newer style tunnel from the 09's to replace that bulky snow holding tunnel they had for the 05's. Now this is where I've got a couple questions. I plan on using my existing cooler and flattening it out. I've read that you have to cut part of the cooler tubes in order for this cooler to slide far enough forward that it's not hanging out the back? If I do this, I will have to cut into the cooler tubes where the finned parts are. I am assuming you eithier grind the fins down so that your rubber hose fits over? Or are you welding a new section of pipe onto the ends for your rubber hose to slide over? Second question is more of an opionon, I Havent laid the rear section of carbon fiber wrap on the tunnel. I was looking at it and I was debating whether to run the wrap with the weave in the same direction, or 90 degrees aganist the weave? It kind of breaks it up a little bit and gives it a different look. Anyways thats enough typing for now, let me know what you guys think, I should be getting my boards done this weekend and the thing will really start coming to life!

photo (22).jpg photo (24).jpg photo (25).jpg photo (27).jpg photo (28).jpg photo (31).jpg photo (30).jpg photo (32).jpg photo (33).jpg

A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
that looks great man! I like the option of switching it up on the tunnel extension. Personally if I were you I would just buy the 09+ heat exchanger. Then all you have to do is fine some 90* coolant hose to make it fit, without all the cutting welding bending etc. Better than putting your whole sled back together and finding your heat exchanger leaks. Ive been there and its a huge disappointment! But the tunnel looks great! keep up the good work!

Phizzer

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2008
Ketchikan, AK
Thanks guys! More than likely I am going to end up laying the weave so there is some contrast. As far as the cooler goes, you might be right, it would be a lot of screwing around and I don't want to end up having to fix something down the road. Anyone got a 09+ cooler laying around they want to get rid of??

Phizzer

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2008
Ketchikan, AK
I was thoroughly impressed with the 3M vinyl. You can scrunch the stuff up and with a little bit of heat, it smooths right out. Worked on my running boards a little bit tonight. Took my time to make sure everything is going to line up and I get the most structural support I can. Im liking the look so far...

photo (34).jpg

R

redwolf_92

Feb 19, 2011
Wadena, Mn
That is going to be a great looking sled. In my opinion, if you can match up the weave I would keep it going the same way.

S

SnoPro753

May 4, 2008
Central Iowa
that looks great man! I like the option of switching it up on the tunnel extension. Personally if I were you I would just buy the 09+ heat exchanger. Then all you have to do is fine some 90* coolant hose to make it fit, without all the cutting welding bending etc. Better than putting your whole sled back together and finding your heat exchanger leaks. Ive been there and its a huge disappointment! But the tunnel looks great! keep up the good work!

X 2. Buy an 09+ cooler. Call Michelle or order one from Country Cat. Don't skimp on this part. The crossfire cooler also fits, it's just bigger, about double or so.

M part: 4706-176 Heat Exchanger - Rear $126.61

Xfire part: 4706-179 Heat Exchanger - Rear $126.61

Awesome build! Keep up the good work. The wrap looks sweet and those boards will be nice also.

S

ScubaSteveSK

Aug 16, 2008
Canada
Looks great, any tips on applying vinyl in large pieces? I'm going to be wrapping my tunnel soon and can only hope to get it that smooth.

Phizzer

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2008
Ketchikan, AK
Heat is your friend when laying the vinyl out. Just make sure you get everything nice and clean. I started in the center of tunnel and slowly worked my way out to the edge. I used a small plastic spreader for laying bondo and smoothed out the vinyl as I went. It really wasnt too bad. Hopefully I will get the boards done this weekend, then I can really start moving on this thing. Once the boards are done I can start working on the skid...

photo (3).jpg

Phizzer

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2008
Ketchikan, AK
Yes I plan on changing all of the suspension components to a flat or matte black. I really like the look of a all black skid, but I didn't want to go with a gloss. It should really look good with the tunnel once it is finished.

I managed to finish 1 of the running boards today. I am MORE than happy with the result. I was able to make them exactly how I wanted to, they fit my boot perfect. Time consuming. Thats all I have to say about this...my father and I managed to finish this one today, with me cutting and fitting, while he welded. Thanks Dad :) I am looking for the hardware to fasten to the top of the boards for traction. Ice studs or some other products were the ones I was looking at. I eventually plan to have these powdercoated. One more to go and the hard part will be done!

photo (35).jpg photo (36).jpg photo (37).jpg photo (38).jpg

Phizzer

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2008
Ketchikan, AK
Almost have both completely done! A little more welding...still have to make the plate to fasten in the rear. I've been looking around for the screws for traction. Anyone know if they make these screws anodized??

photo (39).jpg

Premium Features